IGNORED

One More Win For the Doom Merchants?

Port Said Red

Would 47 points be enough to make all but the most negative of our fans relax and enjoy the rest of the season? 

Although we are not that far away from the play* offs, with so many other teams in contention too, it seems unlikely we will figure there. We are not "Mathematically Safe", but one more win puts us on 47 points with none of them bottom teams looking capable of putting a startling run together. 

The longer we can keep this unbeaten streak going, the better it will be for our prospects next season and it will allow more game time for the next generation to get some minutes.

*I refuse to use the term that another poster on here insists on using.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

I understand your comments re the play-offs, but it does seem to often be a ‘thing’ that one team goes on a hot run after Christmas and goes from bottom third to the play-offs. I may be completely mis-remembering now, but didn’t Hull do it the year of our P.O final?  Someone else went up recently, having been nowhere at Christmas. 

Two more wins for certain, I think.

We have a relentless schedule next month & will be relying basically on the same 15 players, so will probably lose one of the games coming up (cue meltdown from some on here) but Blackpool look certs now & we have enough to secure those points before too long.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

I understand your comments re the play-offs, but it does seem to often be a ‘thing’ that one team goes on a hot run after Christmas and goes from bottom third to the play-offs. I may be completely mis-remembering now, but didn’t Hull do it the year of our P.O final?  Someone else went up recently, having been nowhere at Christmas. 

I was convinced of this too so looked it up yesterday. Hull were top 10. I think they may have dropped off a little asked then came back massively. Palace went from 19th to winning the play offs in the early 2000's though.

As for safety I think it'll take more than 47 to be safe. The league is still really tight. Defeat yesterday would've had us closer to the drop than the play offs. Had we lost and Huddersfield won we'd have been 7 points of the relegation zone. A bad run of form could easily see us dragged back into it. My gut says another 9 points should do it and the way we're playing suggests we should hit that easily.

Unless we were to suddenly re employ streaky lee and go on one non win runs we are pretty safe. We are 14 pints above safety and we would now pretty much have to lose every game left this season to go down. 

A thought on streaky Lee, now if we were to go on one of his win runs, top 6 would be on. 

Edited by BS3_RED

2 minutes ago, BS3_RED said:

Unless we were to suddenly re employ streaky lee and go on one non win runs we are pretty safe. We are 14 pints above safety and we would now pretty much have to lose every game left this season to go down. 

A thought on streaky Lee, now if we were to go on one of his win runs, top 6 would be on. 

14 pints above safety? Didn’t realise the EFL had changed over to 3 pints for a win. This is a change I can very much get behind ;) 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

If only some handsome fella had start a thread entitled “results will come”. 

? 

You have to be more committed if you want to impersonate the sage I'm afraid.

The 2003 emoticons require you to scroll right to the bottom. ? , is incorrect; the one you want to use is this >>..............:cool2:

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Haha 5

The Championship is petty chaotic, but other things being equal (our form and that the points per game of the bottom 3 - 5 remain the same) we will be fine, given the games we have in March and the first two games of April. 

However, it will nerve wracking if we are bobbing around the bottom 6 in mid April.

We're going to be fine.

Edited by Elmore James

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Two more wins for certain, I think.

We have a relentless schedule next month & will be relying basically on the same 15 players, so will probably lose one of the games coming up (cue meltdown from some on here) but Blackpool look certs now & we have enough to secure those points before too long.

Agree - although I fear you have just put the kibosh on our next home (league) game! 

Always think 50 points is the marker . Even if rarely it takes that number to be safe . Forget the play offs , we’d have to go on a incredible run to get there & one more injury at the back or midfield & we’d be struggling . I’m looking forward already to next season . If scott does go for good money then we should have some decent depth to the squad & looking how well we’ve recruited in the last couple of transfer windows it’s exciting times . 

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

It should do. The team in 22nd are currently going at less than 1 point per game. If they continue at that rate then 22nd will finish on fewer than 46 points, and so 47 would mathematically see us safe.

Since City returned to the Championship, here's the points totalled by the 22nd team. Most years 42 would be enough.

2016 - 40, 2017 - 51, 2018 - 41, 2019 - 40, 2020 - 48, 2021 - 43, and 2022 - 37.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Southport Red said:

I remember Cardiff a few years ago, went on a phenomenal run .