IGNORED

Max O'Leary

extonsred

On 01/09/2023 at 19:09, Mr Hankey said:

Interesting that people are saying O’leary is a better keeper than Bentley……what Prem club would consider signing Max, even as a backup? 0 out of 20 i would imagine.

It's an easy ride isn't it?

Well paid to train, be a good team man and get the occasional game.  Bentley is experienced which is all they wanted for that spot (plus being homegrown).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrRedRobin said:

Another solid performance by Max yesterday, looked really confident yesterday I thought. I really hope he can keep it up throughout the season.

Generally yes. But there were still two pretty big ricks, that were in line with his weaknesses. When Pring got caught just before the goal, it was because the ball to him was never on and Max played him into trouble. We got out of jail thanks to a good tackle.

In the second half when Swansea hit the post, his positioning was horrible. Came a long way for a ball that was never there and had to backpedal. Swansea should have probably scored there.

Apologies if I sound like a broken record here, but it’s the same issues every game - distribution and decisions. I agree he generally looked confident, and an error by a Gk is always magnified, but on another day those two errors lead to goals.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Generally yes. But there were still two pretty big ricks, that were in line with his weaknesses. When Pring got caught just before the goal, it was because the ball to him was never on and Max played him into trouble. We got out of jail thanks to a good tackle.

agree

In the second half when Swansea hit the post, his positioning was horrible. Came a long way for a ball that was never there and had to backpedal. Swansea should have probably scored there.

tough chance, would’ve had to be perfectly in the corner to beat him.  I’ve written a lot in previous seasons that I think he backpedals a bit slowly.  Something to work on, get those feet going.

Apologies if I sound like a broken record here, but it’s the same issues every game - distribution and decisions. I agree he generally looked confident, and an error by a Gk is always magnified, but on another day those two errors lead to goals.

yep, agree, although in the grand scheme of things I bet if you look at a lot of Champ keepers at the way we analyse Max (as he’s ours), you could probably label the same.  Rushworth (Brighton) who I really liked at Lincoln, was pretty bad yesterday.  Bazuna, £x million Saints, weak hand on Ekwah’s goal.  Travers good though.

⬆️⬆️⬆️

Looking at FBREF, he has the joint 5th highest save percentage in the league, and he's overperforming his post-shot xg, which is to say he's let in fewer goals than the shots he's faced suggest he should. 

And while not perfect from crosses, he's doing ok there too.

Doing well and a big upgrade on Bentley imo, from our own academy nonetheless. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Davefevs said:

⬆️⬆️⬆️

In the second half when Swansea hit the post, his positioning was horrible. Came a long way for a ball that was never there and had to backpedal. Swansea should have probably scored there.

tough chance, would’ve had to be perfectly in the corner to beat him.  I’ve written a lot in previous seasons that I think he backpedals a bit slowly.  Something to work on, get those feet going.

Sorry just to jump in on this, I think the main problem was tentatively coming halfway for the cross?

The header was then a good effort, but it was really reminiscent of the header Max accidentally saved in the previous game, where he also didn't know where the ball was. Was his awareness a bit iffy in those two moments or is that harsh? They both happened very quickly, but presumably could have been managed better, at least in the build up. 

Generally he's been fine in the last couple of games, just a couple moments. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mozo said:

Sorry just to jump in on this, I think the main problem was tentatively coming halfway for the cross?

that’s what we are saying.

The header was then a good effort, but it was really reminiscent of the header Max accidentally saved in the previous game, where he also didn't know where the ball was.

Hence why he adopted the star position from pretty much point blank range.  Was a great cross (from free-kick) that he couldn’t intercept by coming out.  He made the right decision and saved it.

Was his awareness a bit iffy in those two moments or is that harsh?

fine v Swansea, harsh v Hull.

They both happened very quickly, but presumably could have been managed better, at least in the build up. 

Generally he's been fine in the last couple of games, just a couple moments. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Sadly , for you, he made two game saving saves to disprove your theory. 

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

12 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Sadly , for you, he made two game saving saves to disprove your theory. 

Not really sadly for me as I want the team to win. However on the two incidents noted, I think it was Naismith made the tackle after the Pring error and it was a poor header from Cabango on the second. Certainly neither incident was a game saving save of quality, and again, although I’ve said he was generally fine (no chance for the goal), on Saturday he did the base of what he had to do for most of the game but still made two significant errors.

It’s not “sadly” for a city fan that we won. What is “sad” is that you appear to be conflating reasonable criticism and a noted area for improvement with an agenda, which I can assure you it isn’t. I can bet you a pound to a penny that Max, Pat Mountain and Nige will all be reviewing the incidents as well with a view to improving in the future.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just adding to the debate…

…when Max took over from Bents last season, every opponent seemed to stick crosses / corners on top of him.  Usual theory of testing the inexperienced keeper.

It seems like this happens less of late.  Is that because Max has shown he can deal with them, or just coincidence?

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just adding to the debate…

…when Max took over from Bents last season, every opponent seemed to stick crosses / corners on top of him.  Usual theory of testing the inexperienced keeper.

It seems like this happens less of late.  Is that because Max has shown he can deal with them, or just coincidence?

He doesn't seem to be a flapper and doesn't have moments of madness. So I don't think opponents would necessarily target him.

He probably just needs some refinement on delivery and possibly awareness, but he's still young for a keeper. 

I would like to see another solid goalie to compete for his place though.

58 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Not really sadly for me as I want the team to win. However on the two incidents noted, I think it was Naismith made the tackle after the Pring error and it was a poor header from Cabango on the second. Certainly neither incident was a game saving save of quality, and again, although I’ve said he was generally fine (no chance for the goal), on Saturday he did the base of what he had to do for most of the game but still made two significant errors.

It’s not “sadly” for a city fan that we won. What is “sad” is that you appear to be conflating reasonable criticism and a noted area for improvement with an agenda, which I can assure you it isn’t. I can bet you a pound to a penny that Max, Pat Mountain and Nige will all be reviewing the incidents as well with a view to improving in the future.

I respect your view and I am not saying that you don’t want us to win but that your theory was disproved, which could have been sad for you. 
For what it’s worth I think Max is a worthy guardian for us and hope that he stays fit because IMHO , HWR is nowhere near the required level yet and Bajic hasn’t the experience either . 

• Like 1

I'm still undecided as to where I place Max in our list of keepers in the 21st century. He's a solid enough keeper for the most part but he's never likely to excite you with awesome saves (for the cameras) like (always got a mistake in him) Bentley sometimes did, or Basso did frequently, once singlehandedly earning us a point at Leicester. He's not as good on one on ones as Fielding but is a better kicker, if again not the best. He is good on crosses, something which many of our keepers have been poor at, with perhaps only Maenpaa (the one we should have done more to have kept) and Heaton consistently better. At the moment for his all round game I'm edging towards him being on a par with David James (during his period with us) and Dan Bentley, ahead of Steve Phillips, Richard O'Donnell and Frank Fielding but behind Adriano Basso, Tom Heaton and Niki Maenpaa. 

14 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I'm still undecided as to where I place Max in our list of keepers in the 21st century. He's a solid enough keeper for the most part but he's never likely to excite you with awesome saves (for the cameras) like (always got a mistake in him) Bentley sometimes did, or Basso did frequently, once singlehandedly earning us a point at Leicester. He's not as good on one on ones as Fielding but is a better kicker, if again not the best. He is good on crosses, something which many of our keepers have been poor at, with perhaps only Maenpaa (the one we should have done more to have kept) and Heaton consistently better. At the moment for his all round game I'm edging towards him being on a par with David James (during his period with us) and Dan Bentley, ahead of Steve Phillips, Richard O'Donnell and Frank Fielding but behind Adriano Basso, Tom Heaton and Niki Maenpaa. 

He's physically comparable to Phillips, isn't he, but like you say, probably better.

Edited by mozo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

About the same as Dean Gerken then?

All down to opinions , and while Bentley was here he got plenty of abuse , but as the saying goes "absence makes the heart grow fonder".

For me Bentley possibly a better shot stopper, but not much in it.

Distribution ; Max was much better when he came into the side, with fewer short options there is pressure on his kicking and we notice the ones he misses.

Calls; Max much better , there are time when you can hear his shouts over the ground noise.

Crosses; Bentley played like he was wearing diving boots or had a bungee rope between him and the post. Max much better and the defence are better for it.

Confidence; Bentley really looked like he could struggle , where as Max has been steady even when things have gone wrong.

Just my opinion , but Max is a solid Championship keeper.
Could we do better ? Possibly, but we would have to spend a lot of money. We have tried the keeper market several times (Marinovic free, Lucic £250k , Gilmartin free , Giefer loan , Maenpaa free ) before Bentley joined for around £2.2m. Then Nikita Haikin (who I'd forgotten) and Bakic . Unless we spend money or produce one from the Academy, Max will be our No.1 for a while , and TBF I'm reasonably happy with that.

Just now, And Its Smith said:

I’d say Max is no worse than Bentley at the moment and has a higher ceiling as still is inexperienced at this level 

Maybe he does have bigger potential. But he does not make the saves that Bentley did on a regular basis.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Riaz said:

Maybe he does have bigger potential. But he does not make the saves that Bentley did on a regular basis.

Partly because his positioning is better so doesn’t need too.  He makes a lot of saves.  Some of them could easily be argued he should make but that’s partly because he is in the right position and moves his feet better than Bentley.  He doesn’t have Bentley’s fault of awful foot movement going to his left for example.   He also commands his area better and distributes quicker. 

• Like 2