IGNORED

Max O'Leary

extonsred

4 minutes ago, 95red said:

Max wouldn't  make a prem bench ,Bents did because  he's more experienced & a better keeper at the moment. Move suited all party's on a  big wage at ours & he probably  got the same deal at wolves .

Bentley hasn’t made it in the prem, he’s signed for a club in the premier league, he’s played two times since joining 8 months ago.

If he had made it, he’d be playing week in week out, the two games he has started he’s let in 3 goals. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

Bentley hasn’t made it in the prem, he’s signed for a club in the premier league, he’s played two times since joining 8 months ago.

If he had made it, he’d be playing week in week out, the two games he has started he’s let in 3 goals. 

Where did I say he's made it in  the prem,moved to be a no 2 he knew we knew it .Still a far better keeper  than our no 1.

52 minutes ago, 95red said:

Where did I say he's made it in  the prem,moved to be a no 2 he knew we knew it .Still a far better keeper  than our no 1.

I fail to see how going to sit on a bench at football club, can count as making it? 

He’s using the start of his prime years, earning decent money, sat around playing little to no football. 

• Confused 1

On 05/09/2023 at 14:38, Riaz said:

The person i was replying to said he thought Max had better positioning. Thats why i brought up the Hull thing.

The main reason i think Bentley was better - was that he seemed to make more "match winning" saves.

Thats not to say Max cant be better than Bentley in the future. He's just not there yet IMO.

Bentley cost us far more points than he won us games (that's not to say he didn't have good games, he had some belters). This rhetoric that Bentley was and is a better keeper just isn't supported by stats, league position, or current amount of first team football being played. 

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, CrackingCheeseGromit said:

An amazing fact is that M O'L is the joint 15th longest serving player at his current club, with 8 years and 66 days, in the entire EFL. Incredible when you think how many players there are in the League and how few games Max has actually played.

I saw that earlier this week.  I think the source of the data is Transfermarkt and his “move” from City u18s to City main team on their database…and he sat on the bench for our first game back in the Champ, initially to Frank, then Hamer.

image.png.afb02f7d7a652b8ca518b916b16bce75.png

• Like 1

On 07/09/2023 at 14:30, Wedontplayinblue said:

Last bit is slightly unfair as one of those was at Old Trafford where he played an absolute blinder.

• Like 1

On 07/09/2023 at 18:24, Dredd said:

Bentley cost us far more points than he won us games (that's not to say he didn't have good games, he had some belters). This rhetoric that Bentley was and is a better keeper just isn't supported by stats, league position, or current amount of first team football being played. 

I'm sorry , but that is ridiculous .
Yes Bentley made some mistakes that lead directly to goals , but you could not fault him on shot stopping and his 1 on 1 was as good as anyone we ever had.  There were many things about his game I didn't like , and for my money, Max is all round a slightly better keeper. But it's not like Bents was throwing them in every other week.

Edited by 1960maaan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just thinking out loud, If we were to somehow gain promotion this season, MOL would not be #1 in the prem I feel. It would be one of the first upgrades we could make with the promotion payday £££.

I don’t think I’ve seen enough footy yet this season to comment on other teams’ GK’s but my feeling is that those who will be “there or there abouts” come the business end of the season will have at least one prem-capable stopper.

I’m just not sure Max is at that level, imo.

• Confused 1

On 07/09/2023 at 17:21, 95red said:

I've had this discussion so many times but "better" isn't always best suited. 

Bentley caused problems in defence that were largely overlooked because he's a great shot stopper. He would stay on his line on corners which meant the defenders had to win their duels which put more pressure on us as we were not the tallest of teams. Max on the other hand comes out, it's very vocal and either claims the ball or punches, yes he has moments where he doesn't get the contact but that's because he's smaller in frame and has to get through bigger players. The one thing this does is lessen the pressure that the defenders are under as it's far easier to get the height to win a cross when you can punch or catch the ball. 

The second thing Max does is play sweeper keeper, Bentley did not like playing that role, you could see it every time he got the ball all he wanted to do was get it up the pitch which is great, until you have small attackers who can't win the ball much on long passes, hence we play it out from the back as much as we can. 

Rather than explaining it further the simple retort to Bentley being "better" is that Bentley was only better at shot stopping. When it comes to coming out in one vs one Max has made some crucial saves, as did Bentley, I'd say in that regard they're about the same. In terms of playing it out from the back Max can receive the ball under pressure and play it out with a low pass, Bentley was not comfortable doing this. Bentley stays on his line for crosses which puts more pressure on the defence, Max comes out which takes that extra stress off of the back line giving them more time to get settled when under pressure. 

Max is far better suited for how we play, he's also probably a massive amount cheaper too. If we were to replace Max it would be a harder job than many think, you need a keeper who can obviously make saves but also one who will command his area, who will come out for crosses and corners and one who will be comfortable playing the passing game with the defence whilst being pressured, that's a lot of qualities to ask for in a keeper and I imagine it'd cost us a fair whack in the transfer market. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Couldn’t agree more @Spike.

However, the one thing (okay there’s probably more than one thing, but…) Max could improve is decusioninb making on passes under pressure, or perhaps better put - passes that might put his teammate under pressure.  Just needs to think quicker and assess the situation.

I’m really comfy with him between the sticks on all the other aspects.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Spike said:

I've had this discussion so many times but "better" isn't always best suited. 

Bentley caused problems in defence that were largely overlooked because he's a great shot stopper. He would stay on his line on corners which meant the defenders had to win their duels which put more pressure on us as we were not the tallest of teams. Max on the other hand comes out, it's very vocal and either claims the ball or punches, yes he has moments where he doesn't get the contact but that's because he's smaller in frame and has to get through bigger players. The one thing this does is lessen the pressure that the defenders are under as it's far easier to get the height to win a cross when you can punch or catch the ball. 

The second thing Max does is play sweeper keeper, Bentley did not like playing that role, you could see it every time he got the ball all he wanted to do was get it up the pitch which is great, until you have small attackers who can't win the ball much on long passes, hence we play it out from the back as much as we can. 

Rather than explaining it further the simple retort to Bentley being "better" is that Bentley was only better at shot stopping. When it comes to coming out in one vs one Max has made some crucial saves, as did Bentley, I'd say in that regard they're about the same. In terms of playing it out from the back Max can receive the ball under pressure and play it out with a low pass, Bentley was not comfortable doing this. Bentley stays on his line for crosses which puts more pressure on the defence, Max comes out which takes that extra stress off of the back line giving them more time to get settled when under pressure. 

Max is far better suited for how we play, he's also probably a massive amount cheaper too. If we were to replace Max it would be a harder job than many think, you need a keeper who can obviously make saves but also one who will command his area, who will come out for crosses and corners and one who will be comfortable playing the passing game with the defence whilst being pressured, that's a lot of qualities to ask for in a keeper and I imagine it'd cost us a fair whack in the transfer market. 

This is a very good explanation. "Better suited" is a great way of putting it. We don't have two lamp posts at the back and so a Goalkeeper that will come for the high ball, and there are plenty of those coming your way at our level, is a must. If he got to every single one he wouldn't be playing for our mob. However I will take the odd goal conceded due to Max "not getting there" all day long over those goals we conceded at Birmingham from three yard headers......the game, if I recall correctly, that Nige decided enough was enough and a change HAD to be made. If you have a "liner" in goal you need one or two mountains in front of him.......Frank Fielding and Aiden Flint being an obvious example.

One area where Max needs to improve for me is the one area Bentley excelled, which is the ability to pull out a save right out of the top drawer. For example Birmingham's opener the other week - no fault attached whatsoever to Max but now and again I'd like to see him go above and beyond and stop one of those going in.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

This is a very good explanation. "Better suited" is a great way of putting it. We don't have two lamp posts at the back and so a Goalkeeper that will come for the high ball, and there are plenty of those coming your way at our level, is a must. If he got to every single one he wouldn't be playing for our mob. However I will take the odd goal conceded due to Max "not getting there" all day long over those goals we conceded at Birmingham from three yard headers......the game, if I recall correctly, that Nige decided enough was enough and a change HAD to be made. If you have a "liner" in goal you need one or two mountains in front of him.......Frank Fielding and Aiden Flint being an obvious example.

One area where Max needs to improve for me is the one area Bentley excelled, which is the ability to pull out a save right out of the top drawer. For example Birmingham's opener the other week - no fault attached whatsoever to Max but now and again I'd like to see him go above and beyond and stop one of those going in.

I agree.

But it’s funny how views do change, e.g. the Villa game in 18/19 where he produced a number of worldies, last season at Boro too.  At that point some people suggested he could make big saves but was crap at his own box / aerial stuff.

Bit bemused by this recent obsession with him.

We have let in 13 goals in 11 games, extrapolated over a full season that’s 54/55, fewer than Boro did last year when finishing 4th, he has statistically made more saves per game than the majority of keepers at our level & whilst every goalkeeper will think he has conceded goals he could have stopped, I can’t recall any major howlers.

Pearson made it very clear he sees him as his first choice so not sure why this debate keeps coming up.

No one is saying is Tanner good enough? Gardner-Hickman or Pring, are they?

• Like 4

Just now, GrahamC said:

Bit bemused by this recent obsession with him.

We have let in 13 goals in 11 games, extrapolated over a full season that’s 54/55, fewer than Boro did last year when finishing 4th, he has statistically made more saves per game than the majority of keepers at our level & whilst every goalkeeper will think he has conceded goals he could have stopped, I can’t recall any major howlers.

Pearson made it very clear he sees him as his first choice so not sure why this debate keeps coming up.

No one is saying is Tanner good enough? Gardner-Hickman or Pring, are they?

Agree it’s bizarre. People are now actively looking to blame him as well 

7 minutes ago, Super said:

Been done to death He is decent. Was he better than Bentley? No but he is good enough for a mid table team.

He's better than Bentley in my opinion. Look at some of the nonsense goals we conceded last season from balls flashing around Bentley.

Oleary of two seasons ago wasn't quite good enough but he has improved immensely. Just needs to avoid the one clanger per game that he seems to be getting away with at the moment 

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 2
  • Robin 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, QuedgeRed said:

Is he good enough at this level?

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Nice birthday present for Max, another thread…you’re spoiling him OTIB! 😉

16 minutes ago, Super said:

Been done to death He is decent. Was he better than Bentley? No but he is good enough for a mid table team.

Merged with the other recent threads that have gone over the same subject time and time again

Assume our posters realise there is a SEARCH bar to continue topics already being discussed?

• Thanks 1