IGNORED

Points needed for Top 6 finish

BigAl&Toby

4 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

74 points should be play offs.  30 points from 13 games.  9 wins, 3 draws, 1 loss.  

Thats the sort of figure i was looking at aswell, i think 74 ish points would do it. Would literally mean we can only afford 1 loss as you say and minimal draws between now and the end of the season. It’s a monumental ask IMO! 

Edited by Bris Red

6 minutes ago, headhunter said:

If Nigel repeats what he did with Leicester in 2013/14 when they won the Championship then the last 13 went 8-4-1. That would put us on a 72 point finish. Doable?

After 33 games they were already top with 23 wins, 5 draws and 5 losses. They're squad was excellent as well. Totally different situation.

Not doable.

Here’s how the table stood after our 0-0 draw with Millwall on 29th December - the start of the current run. Whilst we’ve not been propelled as far as up the league as you’d expect/hope a run like this to achieve, it’s moved us well away from danger, looking up and with positive goal difference. I’m still dreaming of the play offs - one or two more wins with other results going our way and it starts to look more realistic. COYR

2ED04459-536C-47C1-B2F2-010A9D91698B.jpeg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Christ, there's some miserable buggers on here. 

Can't we just have a little hope in our miserable Bristol City supporting lives for a change?

No, the chances are we won't make the playoffs, but where's the fun in overanalysing? Let's just enjoy the ride...

Spot on.

A Bristol thing.

Expect the least. Moan about expecting the least. Then if - and if - you get the least you can be self satisfied that you was right all along.

Not like that ******* idiot who wore that bloody ridiculous robin mask. Where he be to now?

But then again if - and it’s a bloody big if - Nige and the boys carry on who knows? 

And as Mr Presley said I can dream……. ?

8 hours ago, Hartleysbeard said:

Here’s how the table stood after our 0-0 draw with Millwall on 29th December - the start of the current run. Whilst we’ve not been propelled as far as up the league as you’d expect/hope a run like this to achieve, it’s moved us well away from danger, looking up and with positive goal difference. I’m still dreaming of the play offs - one or two more wins with other results going our way and it starts to look more realistic. COYR

2ED04459-536C-47C1-B2F2-010A9D91698B.jpeg

We were 8 points off the play offs then. Now 8 games later we are 9 points off the play offs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lies  damned lies amd statistics... we were 8 points off having played a game more, but Millwall and Luton play each other tomorrow so there's a strong chance we'll be 9 points off having played a game less come tuesday evening (+ through to the f.a. cup quarter finals to boot).

We have edged closer but are left in a situation where we probably will need just over 2 points per game. Every draw or loss is a hammer blow to our chances but there is still a slim chance we can make it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bodiesaffer said:

It’s going to take a winning run we’ve not been able to deliver so far.  We needed 4 more points in the last few games to have  a good chance.  It’s still possible, however we need too many teams to choke.  Let’s keep  believing.   

Yeah I said a while back that we needed to somehow beat Norwich, Wigan and Sunderland to be in contention. Had we pulled that masterstroke off we'd now be right up there. We need a glory run of wins and that run needs to include winning away at Luton. Unfortunately we don't look like a team on a glory run right now, as good as we have been.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

We are keeping pace with the top sides which is a positive but we aren't catching them.

Looking good for next season, not this one though.

Enjoy the ride eh!

Exactly this. I’d love to think we could gatecrash the top six this season, but I think those games we should’ve won v Sheff Utd, Watford and Swansea might be where we fall short. But there’s no doom or gloom here as this is great momentum to take into next season and really have a go for the top six in 23/24.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tin said:

Exactly this. I’d love to think we could gatecrash the top six this season, but I think those games we should’ve won v Sheff Utd, Watford and Swansea might be where we fall short. But there’s no doom or gloom here as this is great momentum to take into next season and really have a go for the top six in 23/24.

Well, what can I say. NP has certainty got us all excited. The team are now playing very well. Being realistic 23/24 a top six will be not only expected by us City supporters but also our peer other teams in the championship. A top six this season is still potentially possible and the team we have now with NP.s further tweak's will maybe Suprise the masses.

I think 22/23 maybe to quick and 23/24 will be the season we change some history.

I think some peoples judgment (including mine at times) have been clouded by the cup games in the recent run. The run in the League is impressive, but it contains too many draws to have a real effect on the teams at the top. This table really highlights how much danger QPR are in too.

Screenshot_2023-02-27-08-11-19-58_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

I suspect we are relying on too many other teams to under perform to get into the magic 4! 

Blackburn were on a poor run, but have found form again, whilst Watford who have also stalled in their run, find themselves replaced by Millwall and Luton who are finding form when they need to. We still have to play Luton again, so we could easily make that 6pts behind them by beating them, but realistically whilst we are now 13th, we are 4pts off breaking in to the top 10, with Cardiff, Huddersfield, Blackpool and Luton coming up, I think 8/9pts is likely from these 4 games, but even if we got an impeccable 12pts from those 4 games, I suspect whilst we will have pushed in to the top 10, we would still be 4/5pts off the playoffs with 9 to play, and 5 of those 9 are all up there and very hard to beat teams. 

I think we may end up coming 9th or 10th which is in itself a fantastic achievement from where we were at Xmas, but a part of me, would rather we really went for it against Man City tomorrow and use the FA Cup as a platform to show we could be serious contenders next season. I don't have any idea how Man City will approach tomorrow's game but a tough game against Newcastle on Saturday will certainly be their priority given they are 2pts behind Arsenal who have a game in hand and Pep wouldn't risk a hard game tomorrow night, which could have worse effects on their title defence. I suspect Haaland, Foden, De Bruyne and Ederson will be rested.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kit said:

Lies  damned lies amd statistics... we were 8 points off having played a game more, but Millwall and Luton play each other tomorrow so there's a strong chance we'll be 9 points off having played a game less come tuesday evening (+ through to the f.a. cup quarter finals to boot).

We have edged closer but are left in a situation where we probably will need just over 2 points per game. Every draw or loss is a hammer blow to our chances but there is still a slim chance we can make it.

Well, a win for Millwall wouldn't be bad for our slim chances either as that would bring Luton somewhat more in reach and we'd have a [must win] game in hand over 6th to 9th.