IGNORED

Max OLeary new Contact

Dazy07

I understand the contract contains a clause that allows the club to deduct £500 for every time he kicks it into touch! :laugh:...

But as the OP says 100% worth a new deal, getting better every game, starting to command the box, but needs to push on further to be a "top six" type goalkeeper for me.

• Like 1

I think Max has grown into the team and done well in our current run. However, I’m still not sold on him. The distribution remains a concern for me, and I’ve not seen enough to say he’s a top end championship keeper (I think he’s fine at this level but I’d be looking for more).

Congratulations to him, but I hope that’s not our Gk position considered as resolved and would want some strong competition at the very least in the summer - whether that’s Haikin or someone else.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 1

I like Max.  I think he commands his area a lot better than Bents did and also a lot better than he himself did earlier in the season so there are signs that he's progressing and therefore presume there is more to come from him.  His distribution however does seem as though it's straight out of the Frank Fielding School of Goalkeeping Distribution!

I don't think we'll venture into the market for a keeper in the summer as things stand. We have Haikin and big things are expected of Bajic also, so I would be surprised - especially given this move - if we are looking to increase the pool of first team squad keepers to 4.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

I like Max.  I think he commands his area a lot better than Bents did and also a lot better than he himself did earlier in the season so there are signs that he's progressing and therefore presume there is more to come from him.  His distribution however does seem as though it's straight out of the Frank Fielding School of Goalkeeping Distribution!

I don't think we'll venture into the market for a keeper in the summer as things stand. We have Haikin and big things are expected of Bajic also, so I would be surprised - especially given this move - if we are looking to increase the pool of first team squad keepers to 4.

And this is why I never ask your advice on a Sunday.

Just now, Steve Watts said:

Such a bitch!

Please enlighten me as to where I was mistaken in my analysis!

Sorry, you did leave an open goal there!

Bajic seems a way off for me from his limited appearance. Haikin we may not renew, and Max was potentially on his way last summer initially. That says to me I think we’ll bring in another keeper (on the assumption we don’t keep Haikin). Can see Bajic out on season long loan, keeper able to at least compete immediately coming in.

Oh, don't get me wrong I don't think Bajic will be ready to compete properly yet, but unless we decide against Haikin I'm not sure that GK is the most pressing area to strengthen.  I certainly don't see us bringing in a first team standard keeper who is going to be happy to sit on the bench hoping Max's form nose-dives.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, WWred said:

Fair play to the lad.. Just doesn't have that commanding/intimidating presence the best goalkeepers have for me.. Not to mention his distribution. Happy to see him stay on, more than good enough back up but I'd hope we're looking to sign a number 1 in the summer

He’s no Ronnie Sinclair , that’s for sure. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Has done really well since coming back into the team & new contract deserved. The noticeable difference now is that he will come and catch/punch crosses which with a small team is a big bonus. Is he the long term number 1 then it’s his to lose at the moment but suspect we will add a new keeper to the squad in summer. As @GrahamC says you need two good uns in a squad as a minimum.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, brady bunch said:

I understand the contract contains a clause that allows the club to deduct £500 for every time he kicks it into touch! :laugh:...

But as the OP says 100% worth a new deal, getting better every game, starting to command the box, but needs to push on further to be a "top six" type goalkeeper for me.

Nail on the head. That said, 100% deserving of the contract. Bentley was told months ago that he was surplus to requirements at the wages he wanted and that Max was getting the gig on a "make or break" basis so you really can't fault the lad for his performances since. He now needs to reach "next level" and there is no reason he can't.

The number of posters on here who would have taken a short term view to try and get a result a few months back................................despite the fact that O'leary's goals conceded ratio was far better than Bentley's this season anyway. That short term view would have seen Bentley leave and Max leave too, guaranteed.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1