IGNORED

Season Tickets 2023/24

CyderInACan

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

It’s both. And if you don’t run it well as a business, you won’t have a club.

This is not a defence of the prices, but to say it’s not a business is ridiculous and far too simplistic.

I completely understand the need for financial stability.  If I were to write a club constitution, the first point would be to keep the club in the black at all times. What I mean by 'club not business' is that a club should not look to take excessive money from its members. However, given that we charge about double for a ST than you would for most continental top flight teams, it clearly is a rip off. Fellow Championship clubs charge in the 200s, fellow FL clubs charge in the 100s. I've always prioritised the club over the team. I'd rather we couldn't pay top wages, but my fellow Bristolians can afford to go. Our clubs name is that we are a football club for the City of Bristol, not just those with a bit more cash.

2 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

I completely understand the need for financial stability.  If I were to write a club constitution, the first point would be to keep the club in the black at all times. What I mean by 'club not business' is that a club should not look to take excessive money from its members. However, given that we charge about double for a ST than you would for most continental top flight teams, it clearly is a rip off. Fellow Championship clubs charge in the 200s, fellow FL clubs charge in the 100s. I've always prioritised the club over the team. I'd rather we couldn't pay top wages, but my fellow Bristolians can afford to go. Our clubs name is that we are a football club for the City of Bristol, not just those with a bit more cash.

This is rubbish 

Championship

Birmingham City - £250 to £475

Blackburn - £429 to £529

Blackpool - £309 to £549

Bristol City - £380 to £675

Burnley - £365 to £590

Cardiff - £249 to £529

Coventry - £399

Huddersfield - £350

Hull - * Do not sell season tickets, instead fans pay between £25 and £35 per month over 12-month plan which equates to between £300 and £420

Rather than a traditional season ticket, Hull City fans pay a monthly membership to attend home games

Luton - £430 to £500

Middlesbrough - £514 to £675

Millwall - £385 to £560

Norwich - Season tickets sold out and no longer for sale

Preston - £400 to £535

QPR - £235 to £640

Reading - £299 to £445

Rotherham - £380 to £460

Sheff Utd - £404 to £515

Stoke - £379 to £556

Sunderland - £390 to £498

Swansea - £345

Watford - £438 to £567

West Brom - £329 to £439

Wigan - £379 to £399

League One

Accrington Stanley - £264.50 to £274.50

Barnsley - £350 to £475

Bolton - £299 to £379

Bristol Rovers - £352.50 to £397

Burton - £301 to £432

Cambridge - £349 to £459

Charlton - £285 to £625

Cheltenham - £333 to £481

Derby - Season tickets not on sale yet amid takeover uncertainty

Exeter - £368 to £478

Fleetwood - Do not sell season tickets, instead fans pay between £14 and £25 per month over 12-month plan which equates to between £168 and £300

Forest Green Rovers - £306 to £391

Ipswich - £354.50 to £624.50

Lincoln - £390 to £515

MK Dons - £369 to £579

Morecambe - £150 to £275 (highest price drops to £250 once a certain number of tickets are sold)

Oxford - £359 to £530

Peterborough - £429 to £869

Plymouth - £340 to £465

Port Vale - £315 to £400

Portsmouth - £389 to £549

Sheff Wed - £435 to £585

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Your fellow Bristolians can afford to go

We have a top 7 Champ level of support. Presumably a top 10 out of the 72 EFL.

18 hours ago, Big C said:

This is rubbish 

Apologies. My poor written English. Some Fellow clubs that should say. My point is that QPR can afford to charge £235 despite lower average attendances. Morecombe as low as £150. My argument is simply that we could and should try and make Bristol City as accessible as possible.  

18 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Your fellow Bristolians can afford to go

We have a top 7 Champ level of support. Presumably a top 10 out of the 72 EFL.

I know a few who have stopped going due to the costs. Similarly, most people can afford their energy bills. Doesn't mean it's not a rip off.

Bristol has a very strong middle class, which allows the club to keep attendances up, but there are still plenty of lifelong City fans who either can't go, or have to make significant sacrifice to keep going. Particularly since the club ditched its commitment to cheaper season tickets for disabled supporters. 

The final point I'd make, is I could get a Season Ticket for both Bayern Munich and Real Madrid combined for less than our cheapest Season Ticket. Football has its roots in community, which is what separates us from franchise USA sports. We should not forget that

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Apologies. My poor written English. Some Fellow clubs that should say. My point is that QPR can afford to charge £235 despite lower average attendances. Morecombe as low as £150. My argument is simply that we could and should try and make Bristol City as accessible as possible.  

I know a few who have stopped going due to the costs. Similarly, most people can afford their energy bills. Doesn't mean it's not a rip off.

Bristol has a very strong middle class, which allows the club to keep attendances up, but there are still plenty of lifelong City fans who either can't go, or have to make significant sacrifice to keep going. Particularly since the club ditched its commitment to cheaper season tickets for disabled supporters. 

The final point I'd make, is I could get a Season Ticket for both Bayern Munich and Real Madrid combined for less than our cheapest Season Ticket. Football has its roots in community, which is what separates us from franchise USA sports. We should not forget that

Trouble is it's supply and demand, as long as people are paying the prices the club will keep charging them. It's no different to being a fan of one of big recording artists, most people can afford to buy or hear their music at home, but if you want to see them live, some of the real fans are probably going to be priced out of that experience. That's just one example.

People will ask why prices aren't reduced, but from a club or an artists point of view, they know there is enough interest at those prices, because if they sell them cheaper they end up on the Black Market at the inflated price. 

If I was in their position, I would want to be the one making that money. 

SC prices go up virtually every season so we can expect a rise this time. 

Under Ashton the SC prices went up much higher than was expected and when fans complained the SC&T got involved and were told by Ashton ‘it’s communication not consultation’. You can imagine how well that was received……….….:cool2:

However despite his crappy attitude towards us fans he did eventually reduce the initial price rise.

I’m hoping that our new CEO has a much more sympathetic attitude towards the paying public particularly us SC holders. Hopefully he’ll be aware of what other Championship clubs of similar size charge and set our prices accordingly.

We’ll have wait and see.

1 hour ago, Stockwood gate said:

I work with several Plymouth Argyle fans and Plymouth sale a flexi ticket at the start of the season for about 160/£170 which guarantees you seats for 8 games of your choice throughout the season , I reckon there are loads of fans can commit to 8 games rather than the 23 of a full price ticket 

Don’t really see the point. A membership pretty much guarantees you a seat at whatever game you want to go to, without the up front cost, and the per-game price is comparable.

This would be a good option if we were to be promoted and demand was exceeding supply every week.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Robbored said:

SC prices go up virtually every season so we can expect a rise this time. 

Under Ashton the SC prices went up much higher than was expected and when fans complained the SC&T got involved and were told by Ashton ‘it’s communication not consultation’. You can imagine how well that was received……….….:cool2:

However despite his crappy attitude towards us fans he did eventually reduce the initial price rise.

I’m hoping that our new CEO has a much more sympathetic attitude towards the paying public particularly us SC holders. Hopefully he’ll be aware of what other Championship clubs of similar size charge and set our prices accordingly.

We’ll have wait and see.

As I have said before, he is very corporate. More Ashton than Gould, sits somewhere in the middle.

9 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

IF we did a 'Bradford' style cheap deal, would we shift enough to justify it?

I can't see it in all honesty even though our crowds would go up.

I think capacity is a problem that would prevent this. Current season tickets are approx 13,000 which, after excluding the Atyeo, leaves approx 8,000 seats. Part of the upper Lansdown is a family section so that has additional constraints. To make the Bradford system work most / all of the currently available seats would have to be sold. As you say, it’s unlikely that this would happen and City wouldn’t want to have most of the ground taken by season ticket holders. All clubs like to have some tickets available for those who can’t attend every game as it’s important to have a flow of new supporters attending 

• Like 1

On 03/03/2023 at 21:37, OliOTIB said:

Ever looked at a finance plan? Or even a credit card?

What I do every year and actually sets it out into reasonable installments which just set aside a bit of money every year. Cant say ive got money to burn either, but then again, I do sit (except not really) in S25 which means mines only £390, which is pretty reasonable to me considering its all i look forward to everyweek!

Get monthly option for me every season. It’s a no brainer 

• Like 1

On 04/03/2023 at 13:39, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Would we really be better off if we sold cheaper tickets to fans who wanted to watch players lacking in motivation because they're earning far less than the market dictates, knowing that to balance the books, if a player gets injured we won't be signing anyone as based on your business model, we'd not reward a player financially for coming.

Reality is, football needs a massive re-set, parachute payments, prize money, player salary expectation - the whole lot. But at this point, it probably won't happen in a way that will filter down the pyramid to ensure that all clubs are less reliant on owners. 

I had about half a dozen or so join us using the 'mates rates' deal for the Norwich game, some had been to see football before, some are armchair and were getting their first live football experience. They'd all been to the rugby previously. They all enjoyed it and would love to come again, but were a bit put off by the price, that said, what they paid to for the Norwich game was more than offset by their bar-spend. Not sure what the answer is, but many casual supporters seem to enjoy a bit of rugby, enjoy a bit of football and like the idea, but the cost is too high and the commitment too great. A 'Bristol Sport' membership that gave them discount for both rugby and football could be a way of extracting more cash from people and over a couple of seasons. I'm sure the club with a bit of thinking and imagination could come up with various schemes that attract occasional supporters and appear to be good value for money. The problem is that if these schemes and ideas appear to be a better deal than the one season tickets holders get, some people will be reluctant to renew if a membership offers them enough. 

Maybe the club could look at the following and trial them to see what works and what doesn't from the point of view of boosting attendances. 

Blended cost - match ticket and travel for 'x' amount

Not-quite-self-catering - a brew and a pie with a match ticket for 'x' amount (granted, access to serving points would be massively congested)

Buy 3, 4 or 5 and get one half-price/free/something...

Giving away a scarf or other cheap merch with a membership, I'm sure if the item had a sponsors brand on it somewhere to offset some of the cost people wouldn't care that much given that it was free. 

Working with other clubs so that league and FA cup games where revenue is split are significantly less expensive to shift more tickets. That said, I'm pretty sure the Lincoln game was pennies and the stadium was largely empty. 

Loads of things they could do, but the numbers have to add up - and oddly, the easiest way of making the numbers add up is to charge more for season tickets - not that I'm suggesting they do that. 

Any other suggestions? 

32 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Would we really be better off if we sold cheaper tickets to fans who wanted to watch players lacking in motivation because they're earning far less than the market dictates, knowing that to balance the books, if a player gets injured we won't be signing anyone as based on your business model, we'd not reward a player financially for coming.

Reality is, football needs a massive re-set, parachute payments, prize money, player salary expectation - the whole lot. But at this point, it probably won't happen in a way that will filter down the pyramid to ensure that all clubs are less reliant on owners. 

I had about half a dozen or so join us using the 'mates rates' deal for the Norwich game, some had been to see football before, some are armchair and were getting their first live football experience. They'd all been to the rugby previously. They all enjoyed it and would love to come again, but were a bit put off by the price, that said, what they paid to for the Norwich game was more than offset by their bar-spend. Not sure what the answer is, but many casual supporters seem to enjoy a bit of rugby, enjoy a bit of football and like the idea, but the cost is too high and the commitment too great. A 'Bristol Sport' membership that gave them discount for both rugby and football could be a way of extracting more cash from people and over a couple of seasons. I'm sure the club with a bit of thinking and imagination could come up with various schemes that attract occasional supporters and appear to be good value for money. The problem is that if these schemes and ideas appear to be a better deal than the one season tickets holders get, some people will be reluctant to renew if a membership offers them enough. 

Maybe the club could look at the following and trial them to see what works and what doesn't from the point of view of boosting attendances. 

Blended cost - match ticket and travel for 'x' amount

Not-quite-self-catering - a brew and a pie with a match ticket for 'x' amount (granted, access to serving points would be massively congested)

Buy 3, 4 or 5 and get one half-price/free/something...

Giving away a scarf or other cheap merch with a membership, I'm sure if the item had a sponsors brand on it somewhere to offset some of the cost people wouldn't care that much given that it was free. 

Working with other clubs so that league and FA cup games where revenue is split are significantly less expensive to shift more tickets. That said, I'm pretty sure the Lincoln game was pennies and the stadium was largely empty. 

Loads of things they could do, but the numbers have to add up - and oddly, the easiest way of making the numbers add up is to charge more for season tickets - not that I'm suggesting they do that. 

Any other suggestions? 

Each home game, including the cost of tickets, travel, beer, food costs me about 60 a game. That's about £1400+ a season. 

Some times I think to myself is it really worth it? It's just going up and up. It's a huge commitment. The bubble will surely have to burst in football at some point? Go to a prem match and it's like 7-8quid + for a pint.

4 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Each home game, including the cost of tickets, travel, beer, food costs me about 60 a game. That's about £1400+ a season. 

Some times I think to myself is it really worth it? It's just going up and up. It's a huge commitment. The bubble will surely have to burst in football at some point? Go to a prem match and it's like 7-8quid + for a pint.

I thought the bubble would burst when Sky were the only game in town and had blown the other television companies out of the water a few years back with their right to broadcast games, in so far that no one else would bid on renewal as they'd not be able to compete. Since then, BT (soon to become TNT) have bought rights to some games and the Champions League, Prime has some games and there are the internet streaming services for overseas fans, wouldn't surprise me if Netflix get involved either.

7 or 8 quid a pint is a lot, but there are a number of pubs in Bristol with a £6+ price point already, so it's no surprise that people want to try and make a few quid when they have the chance. 

I guess the decision point is that 'For £1400 what gives me the most value for my spend, a week in the sun, 22 games of varying quality, but it's a chance to catch-up with friends and have a day out, or would that money be better spent elsewhere'. 

• Like 1

On 04/03/2023 at 09:56, Bar BS3 said:

What money do you think we've made recently...?!

£10 million for Semenyo for a start, then 26,000 times an average of say £35 for the Man city game plus retail sales on the night and the broadcasting fee from ITV a not inconsiderable sum.

Edited by pillred

33 minutes ago, pillred said:

£10 million for Semenyo for a start, then 26,000 times an average of say £35 for the Man city game plus retail sales on the night and the broadcasting fee from ITV a not inconsiderable sum.

So 10 mil over a few years (might have been a cash-up-front deal, but most transfers are paid in installments) - call it 3 years, 26,000 @£35 split between two clubs and the FA, telly money - fair enough - and some programs and other bits of pieces (minus the cost of the scarf we all got).

Take that away from the annual losses and you're still losing millions. So yes, additional revenue, but no, we haven't made any money. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

So 10 mil over a few years (might have been a cash-up-front deal, but most transfers are paid in installments) - call it 3 years, 26,000 @£35 split between two clubs and the FA, telly money - fair enough - and some programs and other bits of pieces (minus the cost of the scarf we all got).

Take that away from the annual losses and you're still losing millions. So yes, additional revenue, but no, we haven't made any money. 

However the cash payment is structured the whole £10m is booked into this season's accounts. It's all a credit for this season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I have similar journey from N Somerset - about £5 for petrol.  Then a pint in a pub and and a pasty and coffee in the ground which is about another £12.  My season ticket (SS over 65)  is about £15 per match so total is around £32 per game .  That's around half of your annual spend.  I suppose I could have a more expensive seat and meal and more beer but the overall football experience would be similar.  

Some of the people I sit with never buy anything in the ground so their day is even cheaper.  I suppose it is down to personal choice and financial circumstances but I don't think that watching Championship football  in a decent stadium is expensive.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, pillred said:

All that doesn't even cover 1 years operating losses - let alone make us money..!

I can't believe that people still can't grasp that we lose tens of millions of pounds a year..!

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

As a carer I get a free ticket when I purchase my son's season ticket, so I have no complaints.   I think the club has done great with reduced ticket prices for young people.   I have three kids and have been able to afford season tickets for all of us until they were earning and could get their own.  

• Like 2
  • Robin 2

54 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

All that doesn't even cover 1 years operating losses - let alone make us money..!

I can't believe that people still can't grasp that we lose tens of millions of pounds a year..!

I'm quite aware of our financial situation  but it's better after the sale of Semenyo and the FA cup run revenue. 

16 minutes ago, pillred said:

I'm quite aware of our financial situation  but it's better after the sale of Semenyo and the FA cup run revenue. 

Of course it's better with that - but it's absolutely a case of looking at losing less money, rather than having made any.

Hardly grounds for hopeful thinking that season tickets will be less or not increased as a result - as the initial post I replied to was suggesting.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Red Skin said:

As a carer I get a free ticket when I purchase my son's season ticket, so I have no complaints.   I think the club has done great with reduced ticket prices for young people.   I have three kids and have been able to afford season tickets for all of us until they were earning and could get their own.  

Just brought my three grandsons against West Brom the son in law,wasn't into football but now they are all hooked kids six to eleven its great to see the six year old calling out the players names now season ticket holders. ?

Edited by Cityboy1954
  • Like 2