IGNORED

Vince Harper

9 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Remember the name. Was he a FB?

Best of luck to him.

Left back.

One where I was a touch surprised when released, always looked decent. At the time we also had Soady coming through who was seen as an equal or better prospect - got injured and now at Yate and not always in the side. Pring also hadn’t broken through properly so probably victim of a bit of a logjam.

Certainly not one who I’d rule out returning to league football in future.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Left back.

One where I was a touch surprised when released, always looked decent. At the time we also had Soady coming through who was seen as an equal or better prospect - got injured and now at Yate and not always in the side. Pring also hadn’t broken through properly so probably victim of a bit of a logjam.

Certainly not one who I’d rule out returning to league football in future.

George Nurse would also have been here so a massive logjam unfortunately for the lad.  

For total clarity (and I didn’t know this), the England C squad (provisional) selects one player from each National League team. So VH might not be the best English left back in the division here, he might be the best left back where another player from their NL club isn’t better overall.

Squad will get reduced to 16 for the actual game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Have to say I'm really impressed by Vince Harper over this.

He looked like a promising youngster for us, who was let go rather surprisingly.

He dropped down to non league with Chippenham, and could easily have played out his career at that level.

But he obviously took the City rejection by City as impetus for his determination to get back into the football league.

Firstly by getting that contract with Eastleigh in the Conference, and now of course Exeter in L1.

Not many City youngsters make it back into the EFL after being released. Fair play Vince ?

• Like 9
  • Flames 1

Bloody delighted for him.

I always thought he should’ve had an EFL career, was surprised nobody picked him up when we released him.  Will be tough in Lg1, but I liked Caldwell’s comments on him and how he could learn from Dmitri Mitchell.  

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Bloody delighted for him.

I always thought he should’ve had an EFL career, was surprised nobody picked him up when we released him.  Will be tough in Lg1, but I liked Caldwell’s comments on him and how he could learn from Dmitri Mitchell.  

Not sure you were so complimentary when he was shown the door here????

• Hmmm 1

4 hours ago, Son of Fred said:

Not sure you were so complimentary when he was shown the door here????

Really?  I’ve always liked Harper!  Clubs make tough decisions.  There’s a big difference between me thinking a player like Harper might not make it here, yet still like him and think he deserves / should make a career in the EFL.  If you follow my twitter you’ll see a constant load of tweets saying he should be in the EFL, going back to Chippenham / trial at Wycombe, etc.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Really?  I’ve always liked Harper!  Clubs make tough decisions.  There’s a big difference between me thinking a player like Harper might not make it here, yet still like him and think he deserves / should make a career in the EFL.  If you follow my twitter you’ll see a constant load of tweets saying he should be in the EFL, going back to Chippenham / trial at Wycombe, etc.

Some young players just drift out of the game after being released, some have the resolve to get back into the pro game, and some are just plain unlucky to not be in the right place at the right time. James Morton springs to mind, currently without a club (I think), yet good enough for the EFL imo. Hope he keeps at it.

It’s worth acknowledging that most youngsters that go into an academy system actually don’t make it into full time football.

I have managed lads when I did U18’s that had been released by L2 clubs, who were outstanding.

It made me realize again that if they were being released how good were the ones they kept, and this was at L2.

Anyone who can get a pro contract has done exceptionally well.

Good luck to Vince, I hope it works out for him.

20 hours ago, TammyAB said:

Signed for Exeter. Fair play to him

Always rated him and so did Tinnion... 

Tins was watching him years ago when I covered a game at Gloucester (on loan) and we chatted about his potential. Good luck to Vince

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Just moved to Exeter from Bristol for various reasons.  I will make as many City games as possible....but when i can't, i will be visiting St Jame's to take in some matches.......so i look forward to seeing how Vince gets on, here's hoping that he's a big success!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Some young players just drift out of the game after being released, some have the resolve to get back into the pro game, and some are just plain unlucky to not be in the right place at the right time. James Morton springs to mind, currently without a club (I think), yet good enough for the EFL imo. Hope he keeps at it.

Yep...look at Eze?, rejected numerous times at trials, but kept going....and now is in the England squad.  I do appreciate that for every Eze there are masses of lads who don't make it, but with perseverance and the right attitude it's great to see young player's who have had numerous rejections eventually make it. But i do believe that clubs who run academies should look after and help the ones that don't make it, as it can be soul destroying at a young age to cope with the mental pressure of the rejection of their ambitions?

• Like 1