IGNORED

Tuesday night

22A

MODS; when the match day thread starts, feel free to merge this with it.

Huddersfield forum; https://downatthemac.proboards.com/thread/118477/huddersfield-town-thrice-champions-bristol their opinions are divided;

I think we'll get the win on Tuesday.

I don't see any grounds for optimism. 

Bristol City not great away and we can’t score goals so a goalless draw possibly best we can hope for.

We aren’t scoring from open play and they aren’t scoring much at all either. It has all the markings of a 0-0 bore fest with plenty of Colin’s usual non-football tactics to infuriate the travelling away fans. And good luck to them - Huddersfield on a very cold and possibly snowy Tuesday night is one for the real die-hards!

9 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

We aren’t scoring from open play and they aren’t scoring much at all either. It has all the markings of a 0-0 bore fest with plenty of Colin’s usual non-football tactics to infuriate the travelling away fans. And good luck to them - Huddersfield on a very cold and possibly snowy Tuesday night is one for the real die-hards!

I'm going, but only because I have meetings in Bradford all week.

• Like 3
  • Robin 2

As has been alluded to elsewhere, I believe that the substitutions and positional changes were at the heart of our Cardiff defeat.  Obviously the 2 injuries to Kalas and Williams, when they were both having excellent games, was really very unfortunate, but it was then further disrupted by Pearson's peculiar choice of subs and setting up the playera in the wrong roles...... IMHO.  It's another example of one of Pearson's ongoing failures to utilise subs properly, and continuing to put round pegs in square holes?  

Warnock will have noted exactly how Cardiff set up against us, and just how successful it was, so now is a chance, despite some injury issues, for Pearson to display some tactical nous?  He needs to show he has learnt a lesson, and set us up in a formation to counteract Warnock's tactics, and find a way to break through the Huddersfield back line.  This is a big test for Pearson, and an opportunity for him to show us that he IS tactically astute?  Because if we are unable to avoid defeat  to the league's bottom side...we have problems?    

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, maxjak said:

As has been alluded to elsewhere, I believe that the substitutions and positional changes were at the heart of our Cardiff defeat.  Obviously the 2 injuries to Kalas and Williams, when they were both having excellent games, was really very unfortunate, but it was then further disrupted by Pearson's peculiar choice of subs and setting up the playera in the wrong roles...... IMHO.  It's another example of one of Pearson's ongoing failures to utilise subs properly, and continuing to put round pegs in square holes?  

Warnock will have noted exactly how Cardiff set up against us, and just how successful it was, so now is a chance, despite some injury issues, for Pearson to display some tactical nous?  He needs to show he has learnt a lesson, and set us up in a formation to counteract Warnock's tactics, and find a way to break through the Huddersfield back line.  This is a big test for Pearson, and an opportunity for him to show us that he IS tactically astute?  Because if we are unable to avoid defeat  to the league's bottom side...we have problems?    

Well Max,,all in all I'd take a point right now as it stops the rot before the rot sets in.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Imho, their first goal was at the heart of the defeat.

Mat Wivs has just posted his Evening Post round-up, and reaches the same conclusion as you also.

We’d played 28 minutes (plus injury time at end of first half) with Scott back in CM and Weimann at no10, and I didn’t think the pattern of the game had changed (much) at all.  In fact we came out at h-t and Scott was driving us forward from his deeper position.  We were probably just on top.

When we played with a little patience, we generally achieved promising scenarios.

When Cardiff got Ojo into pockets, or Philogene a bit of time to dribble, they got promising situations.

It was that type of game.

So I don’t think the Williams sub and subsequent repositioning had any bearing at all.

You could argue the changes just after the hour might have had a bearing, but the game had changed, we were 1-0 down.  Bell had been ineffective.  Sykes in midweek helped us improve with the ball when he went back to RB.  So why not again?

I think it’s too easy to “blame” the changes on the subs made.  I think we want to use black and white “things” to prove why we lost.  I don’t think it was a game that lended itself to that causation.

There were lots of other things “going on” that impacted our effectiveness, e.g. Bell always coming short, closing the space for Scott (then Weimann), Mehmeti hugging left, blocking Pring’s channel, etc.

But that’s just my view.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I think a lot of it comes down to the quality of players rather than formation perce.

Without Kalas, Atkinson and Naismith, we are pretty stuffed at CB imo. 

Go physical and bombard the box with crosses, and I can't see us winning much. Vyner needs someone physical, a ball winner next to him. He's too passive at crosses and often doesn't read crosses well. He's proven this season to be competent as a CB partner, who blocks and organises. 

DaSilva is a complete liability at LB. Again and again... he's easily beaten, allows crosses into the box way too easily, gives too much space, way too passive, and often points to others to ' take over' after he's been beaten. We saw it again for Cardiff's second. Tanner is a far more competent full back. We can purr all we like at DaSilvas technical ability, close control, but imo, he's awful as a LB. 

Hopefully in games coming up, teams don't penetrate down the right and go physical in the box. 

Vyner, King and DaSilva fill me with dread if they play in defence together. 

Even with Tanner, Vyner, Pring, DaSilva that is imo, massively weak. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Mat Wivs has just posted his Evening Post round-up, and reaches the same conclusion as you also.

We’d played 28 minutes (plus injury time at end of first half) with Scott back in CM and Weimann at no10, and I didn’t think the pattern of the game had changed (much) at all.  In fact we came out at h-t and Scott was driving us forward from his deeper position.  We were probably just on top.

When we played with a little patience, we generally achieved promising scenarios.

When Cardiff got Ojo into pockets, or Philogene a bit of time to dribble, they got promising situations.

So I don’t think the Williams sub and subsequent repositioning had any bearing at all.

You could argue the changes just after the hour might have had a bearing, but the game had changed, we were 1-0 down.  Bell had been ineffective.  Sykes in midweek helped us improve with the ball when he went back to RB.  So why not again?

I think it’s too easy to “blame” the changes on the subs made.  I think we want to use black and white “things” to prove why we lost.  I don’t think it was a game that lended itself to that causation.

There were lots of other things “going on” that impacted our effectiveness, e.g. Bell always coming short, closing the space for Scott (then Weimann), Mehmeti hugging left, blocking Pring’s channel, etc.

But that’s just my view.

Mine as well.

I am intrigued by those suddenly saying we should be bringing on King, who is a back up at best these days & probably only on the bench at all because of our injuries & otherwise it would be a lot of kids.

Weimann was a more logical choice to me, had it been for the last 15 & we were holding on to a lead or for a point, then King would have been the better option.

Said before the game I was surprised Bell started over Wells or Cornick but certainly don’t want to give the impression it was solely down to this but even with limited options tomorrow I hope at least one of those 2 starts.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, spudski said:

I think a lot of it comes down to the quality of players rather than formation perce.

Without Kalas, Atkinson and Naismith, we are pretty stuffed at CB imo. 

Go physical and bombard the box with crosses, and I can't see us winning much. Vyner needs someone physical, a ball winner next to him. He's too passive at crosses and often doesn't read crosses well. He's proven this season to be competent as a CB partner, who blocks and organises. 

DaSilva is a complete liability at LB. Again and again... he's easily beaten, allows crosses into the box way too easily, gives too much space, way too passive, and often points to others to ' take over' after he's been beaten. We saw it again for Cardiff's second. Tanner is a far more competent full back. We can purr all we like at DaSilvas technical ability, close control, but imo, he's awful as a LB. 

Hopefully in games coming up, teams don't penetrate down the right and go physical in the box. 

Vyner, King and DaSilva fill me with dread if they play in defence together. 

Even with Tanner, Vyner, Pring, DaSilva that is imo, massively weak. 

Dont tell em pike.... 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, 22A said:

MODS; when the match day thread starts, feel free to merge this with it.

Huddersfield forum; https://downatthemac.proboards.com/thread/118477/huddersfield-town-thrice-champions-bristol their opinions are divided;

I think we'll get the win on Tuesday.

I don't see any grounds for optimism. 

Bristol City not great away and we can’t score goals so a goalless draw possibly best we can hope for.

17 away games in League and Cup, we have failed to score in 4 of them.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

But that’s just my view.

It's a valid view..........probably the fact that they had Premiership loanees made a big difference also?   Just hope Pearson sets us up correctly tonite..........cos' Warnock is a crafty old fox.

3 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

What worries me is our obvious lack of height and physicality.  Can just see them winning a terrible game 1 0 from a set piece or a cross.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Huddersfield have shipped 8 goals in their last two games (two 4-0 defeats) and 12 in their last four, scoring two goals.

What could possibly go wrong ?

Bristol City have been well known for my entire life, as a side who are very apt at giving the needy a big helping hand!

What could possibly go wrong?

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, redkev said:

The only meeting I would have in Bradford is who in there right mind would organise a meeting in Bradford ??

About 10 - 12 years ago my son was at H'field Uni and the League got the fixtures right. City were at Hudds on the Saturday and Bradford on the Tuesday, so I was able to stay up there, and take in two games. Why can't the League arrange more fixtures like that? This season Sheff U & Rotherham would have been ideal.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, 22A said:

About 10 - 12 years ago my son was at H'field Uni and the League got the fixtures right. City were at Hudds on the Saturday and Bradford on the Tuesday, so I was able to stay up there, and take in two games. Why can't the League arrange more fixtures like that? This season Sheff U & Rotherham would have been ideal.

I had a few days booked for taking some training in our Leeds office - as luck would have it, that week we were playing Bradford in THAT game. I'd never have been there otherwise but what a night that was! 

Huddersfield's Rugby League team are called the Giants.

We don't have any big players, so Warnock may pack his team with his own group of "giants" to batter and physically obliterate us.

Warnock will have his lot out on the pitch as if they were fighting for their lives.

As "Arson" Wegner would say, we will have to "match" them and "Fight fire, with fire"

Time for our Maverick to perform some magic and bang in a goal or two.