IGNORED

The New Brand Font

WuTang

14 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Completely agree. And worse, RobinsTV used it for the scoreboard.

image.png.4159d6612e99deeaaf7495524a6d2e42.png

Where it all goes pear-shaped is the style of the lettering  - which isn’t an easy read  -  doesn’t match the numbers.  All feels a bit of a 7 year old playing with a new toy to me. Amateurish. 

FiRSt WorLd pRoBLeMs! 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

Having lived on this island for nearly 20 years I can't see how that font is supposed to be Irish.

Exactly. We all know that this is our traditional leprechaun and Guinness font/typeface/letters.

This new font is too skinny, too serif-y, and just not good for modern graphics let alone scoreboards.

Screenshot_20230309-143029.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Exactly. We all know that this is our traditional leprechaun and Guinness font/typeface/letters.

This new font is too skinny, too serif-y, and just not good for modern graphics let alone scoreboards.

Screenshot_20230309-143029.png

The problem with those traditional leprechaun fonts, is they get pixie-lated.

Edited by Curr Avon
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, phantom said:

I'm prepared for a whoosh here, but where is this changed font that is being discussed?

The new kit manufacturer branding, I’ve seen it on social posts & the scoreboard myself. Assuming it’s part of the contract that we use their font for public facing content:

Edited by Marcus Aurelius
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

All brand use the same generic crap (imo) fonts l, for example, these iconic brands who’ve changed to a lot of nothingness. They’re just follow the trend. 

C32E57F2-D9B9-4993-BD26-D8C43ACD31BB.jpeg

But we've gone the other way. Most of this season we used a bold, block, sans serif font. Then recently we've switched to the thin, serif font we're discussing here. So are we going against the tide?

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

But we've gone the other way. Most of this season we used a bold, block, sans serif font. Then recently we've switched to the thin, serif font we're discussing here. So are we going against the tide?

I’d argue that yes, we are, although I think it’s an attempt from the new supplier to be ‘modern’, where as our old font was actually more modern than the new one. Not that I know the brand strategy for either company but that’s what I’d surmise from the limited info available.

• Like 1

Just now, Marcus Aurelius said:

I’d argue that yes, we are, although I think it’s an attempt from the new supplier to be ‘modern’, where as our old font was actually more modern than the new one.

Would the kit supplier have control or influence over the font we use in our social media or on our own TV coverage scoreboard? Seems a slightly odd power to give the kit supplier. I suspect it's a simultaneous change rather than directly linked to O'Neills.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Would the kit supplier have control or influence over the font we use in our social media or on our own TV coverage scoreboard? Seems a slightly odd power to give the kit supplier. I suspect it's a simultaneous change rather than directly linked to O'Neills.

A branding change, that normally occurs every close season, to reflect the ‘dated’ or ‘classic’ nature of the kit. That is all. 

23 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I’d assume it’s related as it’s happened at the exact time we changed kit, you could argue that they’re the only common denominator, but it’s possible that City had planned this anyway and brought it forward .

2 hours ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

I’d assume it’s related as it’s happened at the exact time we changed kit, you could argue that they’re the only common denominator, but it’s possible that City had planned this anyway and brought it forward .

It’s related in that they changed the font because of the kit. It isn’t influenced by the manufacturer though. However, it is clear not much thought has gone into the branding. 

27 minutes ago, Different Planet said:

Isn’t this all down to us using FeverPitch as our marketing partner? they have been doing our marketing videos for a while now and the first time I noticed this font (how could you not?) was the video they did for the new kit launch

https://www.reachfeverpitch.com

Check out the creative director 

ah, yes..... and all paid for by dad no doubt.