IGNORED

Assuming he goes

James54De

Be careful what you wish for. Out of all the departures from BCFC, the one that did us a lot of damage was Josh Brownhill. At the time, he was a bit of an unsung hero for us but still a key player. For those saying Scott is still a bit streaky, just imagine our Midfield without him. 

I hope Pearson crawls over broken glass to keep him, or its a long hard finish to the season. 

Semenyo i view as a bit different - i think we have enough upfront in Nahki, Tommy and AW to recover, but make damn sure we get every penny we can for him.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Street red said:

Dont think we have a lot of choice if it happens, unless we start becoming successful it will always happen as Pearson said we need to get in a position that the club keeps hold of it quality talent. Finances make the decision unfortunately at the minute. 

If a team wants Scott now they'll prob still want him in the summer.

• Like 1

We always need to remember that  if the players head is turned by playing in the PL and the big ££, it will be very difficult to keep him.

I am sure if any of these ‘rumours’ are true you can be certain that the players agent will have been made aware what wages are on offer.

Yes, the offer to the club has to be acceptable but I think any thoughts of £20m plus is fanciful, the club will have a figure in mind plus add-on’s and if that is met or close to being met the player will be gone.

2 minutes ago, Super said:

If a team wants Scott now they'll prob still want him in the summer.

But Pearson has already said we're trying to bring deals for incoming players forward from the summer to January.

And he's also said there will need to be outgoings before there are incoming.

So beggars can't be choosers I'm afraid. 

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

But I also think “what would our midfield look like without him”?  I think he’s actually a bit more important than I think some of us realise at times, me included.  Bit of taking him for granted.  I made that mistake a bit with Brownhill…I don’t want to make it again! ?

It's got a definite feel of Brownhill 2.0, you're right.

And I can't see Scott out and Khadra in, should that happen, as being sufficient improvement in midfield. Personally, I'd like to see another midfielder arrive too - perhaps someone from the list of CDMs Pearson had under consideration last summer.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

It's got a definite feel of Brownhill 2.0, you're right.

And I can't see Scott out and Khadra in, should that happen, as being sufficient improvement in midfield. Personally, I'd like to see another midfielder arrive too - perhaps someone from the list of CDMs Pearson had under consideration last summer.  

We’ve been crying out for a proper defensive midfielder for years 

Edited by Finley_Smith10
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

But Pearson has already said we're trying to bring deals for incoming players forward from the summer to January.

And he's also said there will need to be outgoings before there are incoming.

So beggars can't be choosers I'm afraid. 

Agree deal now but he stays here till end of season. That brings transfer revenue into this year's accounts and should enable us to afford some incomings

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paul_fox said:

12m plus some hefty add ons might be doable and if a bulk of that 12m is up front then the board might see it handy to give nigel some funds to strength this window. Obviously would like more but with our finances it could sort us out in the longer picture. 

Does it matter how it’s paid and how much upfront? I thought our issue was FFP not cash flow?

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

Old quote by Andy King, but sums up why 12m is nowhere near enough

“I think I went on record last year and said that he was probably the best 17-year-old I have played with. When you look at some of the players who I’ve had the privilege of playing with, you look at Ben Chilwell, Harvey Barnes, people like that who have gone on to play for England, I saw them at 17/18 and I think certainly, at 17, Scotty was ahead of those.

“He can go as far as he wants because he’s got a mature head on his shoulders and all the talent in the world.

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

12 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Old quote by Andy King, but sums up why 12m is nowhere near enough

“I think I went on record last year and said that he was probably the best 17-year-old I have played with. When you look at some of the players who I’ve had the privilege of playing with, you look at Ben Chilwell, Harvey Barnes, people like that who have gone on to play for England, I saw them at 17/18 and I think certainly, at 17, Scotty was ahead of those.

“He can go as far as he wants because he’s got a mature head on his shoulders and all the talent in the world.

I agree. I've already posted £20/£25 million now. Another year or two and we could be looking at £50 m. But too long here could hold up his development as he will soon need a higher level than Championship.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

According to a Borussia Dortmund podcast referenced in an article, it's only 5 percent of profit so who knows!!

Not according to Kieren Maguire POF. Mentioned a few weeks ago that the reason the Birmingham sale is stalling is due to a disagreement over the 25% sell on to be received when Bellingham is sold.

• Thanks 1

I find it remarkable that there are fans out there who don't see what Scott brings. Of course his performance levels fluctuate from time to time, but even when he has a quieter game he still does a ton of dirty work that often goes unnoticed. Cutting off passing lanes, being positionally sound, getting 'stuck in'... He's unbelievably good at those things for a kid his age. 

I've been watching City for 40 years now. In all that time, I haven't seen a better player at 19 years of age than Alex Scott. He's got it all. His ability to go past players, his energy, his game awareness... all of these things are amazing, regardless of the stage of his career he's at. When you factor in that he's the age he is, it's extraordinary. 

If and when he leaves, it will be a huge miss for us. I've been saying to my sons for ages now to enjoy him and watch him closely while he's here, because unfortunately we won't have him for long. I just hope he doesn't end up at bloody Bournemouth.... the fact that our players could see them as a step up is a horror show as far as I'm concerned ?

• Like 15
  • Robin 1

21 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Just to caveat, we still don't know what the new Independent body will say. Yes we are confident but a new Independent body only just appointed may see things differently if it was something creative say. Depends what we've agreed and whether the new Independent body concur that such arrangements are valid- we don't know IMO. They could turn around and say "Player add-backs for lost transfer revenue? Not likely". If they have a different view then clubs will be scrambling to sort things by the summer.

The question is, are they bound by prior agreement between League and clubs?

I don't think Richard Gould would rely upon Player add-backs or 'creative solutions' to satisfy our FFP obligations, this is where someone like RIchard Gould a good honest CEO has earned his salt unlike previous administrations such as MA. I thought he came across very well at the fans forum, hoping Alexander can carry this on... 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, LondonRobin said:

I don't think Richard Gould would rely upon Player add-backs or 'creative solutions' to satisfy our FFP obligations, this is where someone like RIchard Gould a good honest CEO has earned his salt unlike previous administrations such as MA. I thought he came across very well at the fans forum, hoping Alexander can carry this on... 

I hope so and fully agree on Gould, a huge improvement on what went  before. It's just that it was mooted back a year ago but I'll disregard it for now.

Hopefully Alexander continues with his good work.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Jacki said:

I find it remarkable that there are fans out there who don't see what Scott brings. Of course his performance levels fluctuate from time to time, but even when he has a quieter game he still does a ton of dirty work that often goes unnoticed. Cutting off passing lanes, being positionally sound, getting 'stuck in'... He's unbelievably good at those things for a kid his age. 

I've been watching City for 40 years now. In all that time, I haven't seen a better player at 19 years of age than Alex Scott. He's got it all. His ability to go past players, his energy, his game awareness... all of these things are amazing, regardless of the stage of his career he's at. When you factor in that he's the age he is, it's extraordinary. 

If and when he leaves, it will be a huge miss for us. I've been saying to my sons for ages now to enjoy him and watch him closely while he's here, because unfortunately we won't have him for long. I just hope he doesn't end up at bloody Bournemouth.... the fact that our players could see them as a step up is a horror show as far as I'm concerned ?

He brings a huge amount. Unfortunately we will never see his full potential as he will be long gone by then. 

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, I look at it in terms of how might James cope without him.  Scott gets through so much.

I agree. He’s the legs of that midfield quite apart from anything else.

When he adds end product to his game, and he will, he’ll go right to the very top. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Jacki said:

Above all, Scott has what they used to call "a cultured right-foot".  His passing can be sublime at times, and I don't think we've seen similar here since Brian Tinnion hung up his boots (or maybe for the season Paul Hartley was at AG). 

• Like 1