IGNORED

Everyone Glad We Stayed @thegate?

Tomo

We did take some influence from the ashton vale design when redeveloping THE GATE! 

Plans were 30,000 capacity to upgrade to 40,000 had we won the world cup bid? .... Remember watching it and loving the massive attack music in the promo video?

I'm Gate Proud though?

• Admin
7 minutes ago, Tomo said:

We did take some influence from the ashton vale design when redeveloping THE GATE! 

Plans were 30,000 capacity to upgrade to 40,000 had we won the world cup bid? .... Remember watching it and loving the massive attack music in the promo video?

I'm Gate Proud though?

Guess it's difficult to say 

If we'd moved, been successful and filled the place we'd be saying differently 

• Like 4

Personally I'm sorry the development did not go ahead it would have future proofed us if we ever went up and if the demand was there increasing capacity had been built into the design, and it's not as if we would have been moving far from our ancestral home, plus the nimbies won on spurious grounds which in Bristol seems to be the norm so no I'm not happy though apart from the Atyeo stand they have done a good job it's just that we are now a bit limited going forward IF we ever fulfil our potential and all of you that say the ground would only be full for a handful of games I say boll8x.

• Like 14

I think it depends when we moved into it. Think we got relegated the season it was due to be built or season before? Anyway no telling how that would change how we got promoted etc. 

I think best time for us would have been moving into it first season back in the Championship. Would of been a huge buzz around Bristol and potentially we could attract better players.

Happy we stayed in a way because the ground would look empty.

Yes interesting lot of ifs and maybes. The gate is our home which I love dearly. It's development yes good but never finished until the Atyeo is sorted. I still think the new ground idea being just down the road with greater potential than the gate was the better option for me. But hey ho, got to walk the dogs somewhere .

COYR

• Like 4
  • Robin 1

I love Ashton Gate and the redevelopment has been done very well, to a high specification, with lots of nice nods to our traditions and history. Visiting fans speak very highly of it.

But - it was a compromise solution. We still have the original Atyeo and a Dolman stand from the 70s which has been face lifted but ultimately looks dated.

Personally I was disappointed that Ashton Vale never happened. It wasn’t an identikit “soulless bowl” design. It was more future proof. I do think it was the superior solution, and if we were there now I dare say we’d all be very proud of it.

Edited by ChippenhamRed
  • Like 4

I never wanted to move so am glad it never happened, the gate is our home and the excellent redevelopment shows we didn't need to move,

If we would have ended up with a 40000 seater then it would have been half empty for most games with no atmosphere and no sole,

We would have been like someone like Reading stuck with a ground to big for us thats only hope of ever filling is if make it to the premier League and can fill it with away fans and day trippers, 

Things differently worked out for the best 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, winsaw said:

I never wanted to move so am glad it never happened, the gate is our home and the excellent redevelopment shows we didn't need to move,

If we would have ended up with a 40000 seater then it would have been half empty for most games with no atmosphere and no sole,

We would have been like someone like Reading stuck with a ground to big for us thats only hope of ever filling is if make it to the premier League and can fill it with away fans and day trippers, 

Things differently worked out for the best 

It was going to be 30k with the option to increase to 42k. I also don’t agree with the Reading comparison. We are a bigger club with potential for bigger crowds.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

6 hours ago, winsaw said:

It would have put us on sound footing I think. But Ashton Gate is our spiritual home, even if it unrecognisable from the 1960s, and, apart from the Dolman, the 1980s. 

Pity about the Atyeo. The only other real issue I found is the choke point on the corner of the South Stand and Dolman. (It wasn't the best place to put a bar.)

COYR

I'm gutted we didn't get it. The Gate is too small for our ambitions, we have only approx 2k to 3k home seats (exc Atyeo) spare per game average whilst dithering around the bottom half of the Championship. We would easily fill the 22k with season tickets upon promotion.

Look at Brighton going from strength to strength with large crowds and success.

Is there any possibility of extending the Dolman and South Stand?

Mind you I'm even more gutted we are located in a

postindustrial miscellany of parking lots, warehouses, fast-food restaurants, building sites and terraced housing'

as correctly described by the New York Times rather than slap bang in the middle of the City

Edited by cidercity1987

I think it’s hard to know because there are so many variables that we cannot know.

Would it have been the catalyst for a bit more success? Would it have looked too big if we’d struggled?

I’m reconciled to what we have, Ashton Gate is our home, I can’t get bothered by the Atyeo stand being out of place now, as away fans only visit once & as a 50 year plus visitor now, am happy that it will be the place I watch my club until the inevitable CTID bit happens.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I'm gutted we didn't get it. The Gate is too small for our ambitions, we have only approx 2k to 3k home seats (exc Atyeo) spare per game average whilst dithering around the bottom half of the Championship. We would easily fill the 22k with season tickets upon promotion.

Look at Brighton going from strength to strength with large crowds and success.

Is there any possibility of extending the Dolman and South Stand?

Mind you I'm even more gutted we are located in a

postindustrial miscellany of parking lots, warehouses, fast-food restaurants, building sites and terraced housing'

as correctly described by the New York Times rather than slap bang in the middle of the City

But a large part of that is due to be demolished and replaced by the continued development of the area. Only the terraced houses will remain, which is similar to many other grounds. Look at Anfield for example.

We've made the most of what we've got but issues still remain about the Atyeo and in the longer term the Dolman. I noticed at the Man City game that away fans were not allowed into the away end until the players coaches had departed. That's not ideal. 

In a perfect world we would have moved to Ashton Vale and I think we'd have made it feel like home.

• Like 2

It's difficult to say - the AG redevelopment looks quite a lot like the base design in that video.

I don't love the AG redevelopment personally, but I can see why it was necessary. It's obviously a far better all round stadium than the old AG, but something about it feels a bit hollow. Can't put my finger on what it is. I think lots of that is just nostalgia though.

• Like 1

Pluses would have been;

Future proofing , start from square 1 with tickets and placement of standing area , sensible away fan area , decent parking and access . Probably a few other minor things.

The major plus in staying is being able to drink in the same local pubs I have been drinking in for around 45 years ( **** me I'm old, how did that happen :disapointed2se: ) . I like the history behind the Stadium and the only downside I see is not being able to knock down the Atyeo for a 2 tier stand with away fans in the top. 

I was looking forward to the new shiney stadium, but when I got over losing out , I'm happy we stayed. I think the new development will only improve things. 

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

but something about it feels a bit hollow. Can't put my finger on what it is. I think lots of that is just nostalgia though.

I think we all miss the open air East End toilets Phileas :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's an interesting question. I think it's certain that had England hosted the World Cup, we'd have got our planning permission - Mr Red Trousers would have been shafted from on high - and we'd be in there now. 

I actually think the redevelopment of the AG ground and the wider masterplan for the site has been managed really well, and has resulted in us being in an excellent position - compare and contrast to FC Millet's, etc. I must confess, I've not tried the 'new' Dolman, but the other stands are truly excellent. The view from the top of the Lansdown is astonishing.

The major drawback with AG remains access; I think that would have been the major improvement from a relocation, TBH. But I think the fact that we host international women's and U21 games, etc shows we have a good, modern stadium.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

Crap Atyeo stand, poor atmosphere, nightmare to park, no future proof plan if promoted.
Never really liked the new ground, much preferred the old AG.

Think long term, we will regret getting turned down by the namby pambys of Bristol. But that’s Bristol for you.

This is a confusing post to say the least, were you for or against the new stadium? because I am bugg8r8d if I can work out if you were or not from your post.

Edited by pillred
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

57 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

Crap Atyeo stand, poor atmosphere, nightmare to park, no future proof plan if promoted.
Never really liked the new ground, much preferred the old AG.

Think long term, we will regret getting turned down by the namby pambys of Bristol. But that’s Bristol for you.

So the Atyeo's crap, but you preferred the old ground, where the Atyeo was the best stand?