IGNORED

Everyone Glad We Stayed @thegate?

Tomo

17 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

The way Ashton Gates redevelopment has been executed has been poor in my opinion. I was in favour of the move to AV and wish we still could

Care to elaborate?

I thought the work carried out,build and additions with have been done well. Enhanced the experience and made for a more comfortable time, not to mention better choice for substance.

19 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

The way Ashton Gates redevelopment has been executed has been poor in my opinion. I was in favour of the move to AV and wish we still could

Can you elucidate? I think it's been well done. Admittedly, I'm an occasional visitor, but it's a world better than the old AG. No doubt AV would have been better still, but there's nothing we can do about that.

1 minute ago, RedHienz said:

Care to elaborate?

I thought the work carried out,build and additions with have been done well. Enhanced the experience and made for a more comfortable time, not to mention better choice for substance.

Blimey, those concession stands are clearly branching out

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

My view on the redevelopment of AG is polar opposite to yours. I think the revamped AG is pretty damn good especially if you remember just how tatty the Williams and Wedlock’s had become.

Like many I’d have loved a new stadium at Ashton Vale but the fall back position when planning was denied has turned out  pretty well.

No point crying over spilled milk…………:dunno:

27 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

I can't understand why with all the upheaval and the fact we knocked down the old east end and were going to knock down the Williams stand as well why we didn't just move the ground back further towards Winterstoke Rd, we then surely could have made the Atyeo end higher or demolished it and built a stand the same or similar to the new South stand because it would have been further from the houses, it would have meant extending the Dolman at one end and demolishing a bit of it at the park end but at least it would have resulted in a more balanced looking ground and a larger capacity to boot.

Glad we stayed at the gate, it's our spiritual home and it's where I grew up watching and loving City.

Even though it's changed a lot over the years it's still got that same buzz around the place, admittedly not as much as the old place but still enough.

It's in amongst the community, in and around shops and pubs. Few cans sat on the wall by the park, it's home ? .

Ashton Gate and Bristol City go hand in hand.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Tomo said:

We did take some influence from the ashton vale design when redeveloping THE GATE! 

Plans were 30,000 capacity to upgrade to 40,000 had we won the world cup bid? .... Remember watching it and loving the massive attack music in the promo video?

I'm Gate Proud though?

Glad we stayed at Ashton Gate personally. Still plenty of scope to extend on the current site, yes houses would need to be purchased but it’s certainly all doable if we ever really needed to extend the Atyeo or South Stand or when the flats behind the Dolman go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Interesting perspective, I respect your opinion but feel we have to look back at pictures from 15 years ago and remind ourselves how much has changed. And for the better.

I frequently bring friends with me who support other clubs - from across the football league spectrum, and ALL of them comment how much they like our ground and set-up.

3 hours ago, RedHienz said:

Care to elaborate?

3 hours ago, SecretSam said:

Can you elucidate? I think it's been well done. Admittedly, I'm an occasional visitor, but it's a world better than the old AG. No doubt AV would have been better still, but there's nothing we can do about that.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

My view on the redevelopment of AG is polar opposite to yours. I think the revamped AG is pretty damn good especially if you remember just how tatty the Williams and Wedlock’s had become.

Like many I’d have loved a new stadium at Ashton Vale but the fall back position when planning was denied has turned out  pretty well.

No point crying over spilled milk…………:dunno:

2 hours ago, Sandhurst Red said:

Interesting perspective, I respect your opinion but feel we have to look back at pictures from 15 years ago and remind ourselves how much has changed. And for the better.

I frequently bring friends with me who support other clubs - from across the football league spectrum, and ALL of them comment how much they like our ground and set-up.

So when I saw the initial pictures at a meeting under the Dolman stand back in 2013(?) I was pleasantly surprised, and thought it looked good and made the most of the limitations of the site and current stadium. 

However, for me football is about standing with your mates, vocally supporting the team and having a laugh. The initial plans for safe standing in the SS and the entire front of the Dolman looked really good. Although it wasn't allowed during the initial build, I hoped the club would eventually see that through. 

Instead the more vocal support was moved from the old EE, to the Williams, to one side of the Atyeo, to the other side of the Atyeo, and then to a corner out the way. One of the many reasons why I stopped going was I was sick of being moved around the ground like a new born at a family get together.

We then had the farce of having to have stewards separating our own fans from each other as the horseshoe concourse, which makes sense in principle, doesn't keep fans from accessing seats they should not be sat/stood in.  

AG is good for what it is though, and if you just want to come and watch a football game, it's probably above average in terms of the view and facilities. However a purpose built, properly thought out stadium, would have been better imo.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I think it’s hard to know because there are so many variables that we cannot know.

Would it have been the catalyst for a bit more success? Would it have looked too big if we’d struggled?

I’m reconciled to what we have, Ashton Gate is our home, I can’t get bothered by the Atyeo stand being out of place now, as away fans only visit once & as a 50 year plus visitor now, am happy that it will be the place I watch my club until the inevitable CTID bit happens.

CTID ??

Football clubs belong at the heart of communities, and I think cities/towns lose something when new stadiums – no matter how impressive – are built in glorified industrial estates out of the centre. There's over one hundred years of history at AG, the pubs, the same terraced streets... give me that any day over somewhere with better parking facilities.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Robin101 said:

Football clubs belong at the heart of communities, and I think cities/towns lose something when new stadiums – no matter how impressive – are built in glorified industrial estates out of the centre. There's over one hundred years of history at AG, the pubs, the same terraced streets... give me that any day over somewhere with better parking facilities.

I would say the area around AG is a glorified industrial estate out of the centre....?

• Like 1

I'm happy we've stayed where we are, although at the time, the new stadium plans were very exciting.

Further development looks unlikely at the moment, but who knows what might unfold in the future? Never say die.

One thing is for sure though. It's nice having all the shiny toys, but a shame that we don't get to play with the big boys. 

18 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

As far as I can remember did a job converting a house by the tannery in about 2008, and the letters coming to the house then were addressed as lower Clifton.  Says it all.

Back in the 70s, at work we had an application from a couple who gave their address as Southmead Road, Henleaze, Westbury-On-Trym!

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I would say the area around AG is a glorified industrial estate out of the centre....?

I guess depends which direction you come in to be fair.  Anyway, I sort of meant compared to the Madjeski, DW Stadium etc. it certainly feels way more rooted in a proper area of the city.

Interesting when you consider the Dolman will have to be replaced at some point (another Lansdown stand?) plus the Atyeo just looks out of place. How much will that cost for 34000 (?) capacity?

I love the Gate, it's 'home' but we would have survived at the Vale and it would have been 'home' by now.

8 hours ago, Winterstoke toad said:

Wasn’t there another proposed stadium to be built in knowle at some point ? . I can’t help but feel that would of been better than Ashton vale as it wouldn’t of been outside the city .

There was a stadium proposed in Hengrove Park in the 90's but don't think the plans got very far though.

image.thumb.png.7b6688fffd5f7e85d7ad100d69ad81ee.png

Edited by Mr X

3 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

However, for me football is about standing with your mates, vocally supporting the team and having a laugh. The initial plans for safe standing in the SS and the entire front of the Dolman looked really good. Although it wasn't allowed during the initial build, I hoped the club would eventually see that through. 

For me, it's about watching my team play. Standing, sitting, alone, with friends, whatever. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

Interesting when you consider the Dolman will have to be replaced at some point (another Lansdown stand?) plus the Atyeo just looks out of place. How much will that cost for 34000 (?) capacity?

I love the Gate, it's 'home' but we would have survived at the Vale and it would have been 'home' by now.

It would've been the 10th anniversary of the move last year, which would have included both the relegation and promotion seasons assuming nothing else changed. May or may not have been deeper in debt owing to the relegation and attendances dropping off.

• Like 1

With no new stadium, I would have preferred us to rotate the pitch 90 degrees and/or move the whole thing to the west of the current site. Not sure where we would have played, but 12/13k would have been enough at the time. Others might not be bothered, but I am bothered about the Atyeo. It's not as good as it should be. I want the best, not just that'll do. It's like the team, better but should be even better, come on city !

46 minutes ago, Offside said:

I was excited about AV, but I have to say I couldn’t be happier that we stayed at Ashton Gate. I think the ground looks fantastic, it’s our spiritual home and its in a great location. 

Exactly my feelings. I was also excited about AV but ultimately I’m quite happy we are still at our traditional home, with memories back to the 1970s and the redevelopment is first class. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, downendcity said:

Back in the 70s, at work we had an application from a couple who gave their address as Southmead Road, Henleaze, Westbury-On-Trym!

My birth certificate says I was born at Southmead Hospital, Westbury-on - Trym. That was in 1959 though. Has the boundary changed since then?

I’m very proud of the Ashton Gate redevelopment. In the last few years I’ve had many very complimentary comments from away fans who I’ve met on the park and ride including many fans of teams that have been or are in the premier league.

There’s only one thing that could have made AV better and that would have been if we had been successful. As this is Bristol City we’re talking about…….that’s unlikely