IGNORED

Grounds around Europe

redkev

Looking for recommendations of grounds to visit around Europe, never been a great fan of watching England abroad,don’t get me wrong love watching everyone there and recently us doing well in tournaments but to much baggage for me , sorting tickets , chavs causing problems , being targeted by the police etc etc . So over the next few years I have set myself a bit of a bucket list of European grounds to go to , just see what the atmosphere on the day is before and after the game , what the grounds are like , quality of the game , oh don’t forget check the bars out as well ,basically just get a match day experience as if I was going to watch City but obviously without the passion 

Spain Italy Germany France Portugal Poland possibly a Scandinavian match ( beer bit pricey there though ) any other thoughts .I await with interest. For starters I hear Athletico Bilbao is good un .

Quite liked the Olimpico when I watched Roma v Inter in 2017 with a friend- a good experience! Could drink in view of the pitch too and indeed better they were selling it in the bowl of the stand itself- now that's what I call service!

We were behind the goal in the section adjacent to the Roma ultras. Felt a bit freer than a lot of English grounds in the 2010s. From memory they were sectioned off from us in the other bit..no chance to sneak across. Probably membership and season ticket only at that stage otherwise I'd have looked to buy in there.

Stewarding was less hands on than it can be here.

Decent game too, first home game of season for Roma, evening kick off either 7.45pm or 8.45pm local time- still lovely and warm, crowd seemed 'well oiled'. Roma scored 1st, lost 3-1 but hit woodwork 3 times- lively game.

Good Roma team too, reached CL semis that year despite losing Salah, Rudiger, Spalletti- Totti had just retired too. About 50k there, the hostility towards Spalletti when his name was read out 2ss quite something as he jumped ship that summer to go to...Inter.

Roma 1st home gamr of next season? Why, Inter!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, redkev said:

Looking for recommendations of grounds to visit around Europe, never been a great fan of watching England abroad,don’t get me wrong love watching everyone there and recently us doing well in tournaments but to much baggage for me , sorting tickets , chavs causing problems , being targeted by the police etc etc . So over the next few years I have set myself a bit of a bucket list of European grounds to go to , just see what the atmosphere on the day is before and after the game , what the grounds are like , quality of the game , oh don’t forget check the bars out as well ,basically just get a match day experience as if I was going to watch City but obviously without the passion 

Spain Italy Germany France Portugal Poland possibly a Scandinavian match ( beer bit pricey there though ) any other thoughts .I await with interest. For starters I hear Athletico Bilbao is good un .

This guy is worth a watch on YouTube for stadium ideas, he's done vids on San Siro recently but also does obscure and different grounds all over, very interesting videos for football fans in general

Edited by Tinmans Love Child
  • Haha 1

There is a great site called mysteryawaydays.co.uk.

Just choose your budget and get a cheeky surprise. Flight, match tickets together and now I think they include hotel. 

You don't get to pick the match or location, but when is an away day ever bad, assuming it's not with City?

• Like 2

I was going to say what @Mad Cyril just posted, seen some great feedback.

One I would say could be good is Bilbao. Direct flights from Bristol , tickets available and a great City and Stadium. 

There was a thread on here somewhere with recommendations and experiences , can't recall the title though.

• Thanks 1

For a large ground experience I love Dortmund but why not watch a game in Belgium. The Jan Breydel stadium home of both FC and Cetcle Bruges has always been a favourite of mine, easy to get to and the supporters clubs are worth having a drink in. If you can get to the Bruges Derby or a match against Anderlecht the atmosphere can be electric. 

San Siro on a misty, winters night is incredible. St Etienne had a great atmosphere, but unsure about their attendances in L2 at the moment. Fenerbache and Galatasary are enlightening, I preferred the former.  Nou camp you'd be miles from the pitch but get a great view and it is iconic. Bernabeau is overated

Just now, Dredd said:

The Olympic Stadium in Berlin is a great ground with loads of history, and Berlin itself is also a great weekend

Went there on my stag weekend, snowing, about €7 to get in, great laugh.  Herta 1-0 Stuttgart.

”there’s only one Freddie Bobic, one Freddie Bobic, walking along singing a song, walking in a Bobic wonderland”

• Like 1

A few years ago my son and myself based ourselves in Düsseldorf for a long weekend. We saw Fortuna, Cologne and Bayer Leverkusen but there are others within a 30 minute train ride including Schalke, Dortmund, Borussia Monchengladbach, Bochum and Duisburg. National football museum in Dortmund is excellent and there’s lots more non-football stuff to see. Public transport is cheap and reliable. 
Anywhere in Germany would be good atm as you can buy a rail pass allowing you the go anywhere in the country for a month for only 49euros. 
Lisbon would be my other recommendation- great city and two great football stadiums. 

• Like 2

Union berlin (from what I've heard it's another level of support, they are actually worried the secret is out)

San siro - not long left. Drink in the centre, then go. Incredible city centre/average city overall though 

Atletico Madrid - bigger the game the better.

Cadiz (their whole football culture is based on party, who cares about the result ? it's high on my list to visit, heard a lot of good things)

Tenerife - Sunshine + drinks + football.  Especially if you can mix with carnival in February.

Atalanta - read about them. Utterly committed City to their team. Even if the city airport does serve Milan (useful for going)

P.s Bilbao v sociadad - the most curious of all derbies.

1 hour ago, Dredd said:

The Olympic Stadium in Berlin is a great ground with loads of history, and Berlin itself is also a great weekend

I loved going to the Olympic Stadium. Actually amazed me how Hertha Berlin have never really achieved much on a European stage compared to other Capital City Clubs in Western Europe. 

Probably the biggest underachievers in European football.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

I'm surprised so many are saying the San Siro. I've found it really boring and I've been a few times. Middle of no where as well. 

It's certainly middle of nowhere, but it's more like a proper football ground (unlike, say, the Olimpico in Rome). I liked it. Although that may have been helped by the fact that Rijjkard, Van Basten and Gullit were all playing for Milan when I went!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, italian dave said:

It's certainly middle of nowhere, but it's more like a proper football ground (unlike, say, the Olimpico in Rome). I liked it. Although that may have been helped by the fact that Rijjkard, Van Basten and Gullit were all playing for Milan when I went!

I agree the Olimpico is rather soulless unless it's a big game. 

The one I've enjoyed the most in Italy is Genoa/ Sampdoria. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Quite liked the Olimpico when I watched Roma v Inter in 2017 with a friend- a good experience! Could drink in view of the pitch too and indeed better they were selling it in the bowl of the stand itself- now that's what I call service!

We were behind the goal in the section adjacent to the Roma ultras. Felt a bit freer than a lot of English grounds in the 2010s. From memory they were sectioned off from us in the other bit..no chance to sneak across. Probably membership and season ticket only at that stage otherwise I'd have looked to buy in there.

Stewarding was less hands on than it can be here.

Decent game too, first home game of season for Roma, evening kick off either 7.45pm or 8.45pm local time- still lovely and warm, crowd seemed 'well oiled'. Roma scored 1st, lost 3-1 but hit woodwork 3 times- lively game.

Good Roma team too, reached CL semis that year despite losing Salah, Rudiger, Spalletti- Totti had just retired too. About 50k there, the hostility towards Spalletti when his name was read out 2ss quite something as he jumped ship that summer to go to...Inter.

Roma 1st home gamr of next season? Why, Inter!

The Olimpico for a derby match is something else. 

Lazio and Roma ends both in full voice and unbelievable 'coreografia' - visuals. 

(Although the last one I did both sets of fans were on strike and it was deadly dull!)

I saw one not long before Totti retired: Lazio fans had a similar hostility to him, and more. At this game a firecracker was thrown at him by Lazio fans during the game. Not normally to be condoned, I know, but it couldn't have gone more like a dream for whoever threw it. Landed about 5 m behind him, he was completely unaware, and it went off with the loudest crack you've heard. He hit the ground like he'd been shot, and needed several minutes treatment before he was able to continue!

The only downside is you don't get the Lazio eagle - which is the best pre match entertainment ever.

• Flames 1

21 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Ha ha - typing about the derby matches above as you posted this!

Never been to Genoa/Samp - I must try it.

It really is fun. The ground is English in feel.

I think it might be a while for the next derby. Samp going down, Genoa going up.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, spudski said:

I'm surprised so many are saying the San Siro. I've found it really boring and I've been a few times. Middle of no where as well. 

Only went once. It was dark and so misty you couldn't see the Genoa fans at the other end. I was in with Inter's Ultras, which included a first half silent protest, then the second half was crazy to compensate. And Inter won which helps. It was all round a very intense and intimidating evening in an iconic stadium.

• Like 2