IGNORED

Haikin Released (Confirmed)

Port Said Red

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not sure that’s true really. 

I cannot for the life of me see how Pearson can have watched Cornick's performances for us and thought "he's won a place in the starting XI" last weekend, so it's either true or he made a big error of judgement. In my opinion, of course.  

1 minute ago, Percy Pig said:

No, but you can justify selection. 

In fact, most coaches would argue its where you do justify selection. 

Didn't work out though did it. We lost to a team that hadn't been able to buy a win before meeting us. So, I conclude, an error of judgement.

The list of players that train fantastically, but don't perform as well in a competitive game is much longer than the list of those that do. 

• The title was changed to Haikin Released (Confirmed)
13 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Sorry, what? 

39 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Didn't work out though did it. We lost to a team that hadn't been able to buy a win before meeting us. So, I conclude, an error of judgement.

The list of players that train fantastically, but don't perform as well in a competitive game is much longer than the list of those that do. 

????

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

I cannot for the life of me see how Pearson can have watched Cornick's performances for us and thought "he's won a place in the starting XI" last weekend, so it's either true or he made a big error of judgement. In my opinion, of course.  

Because others aren’t showing any better form either.  So you could argue it’s kinda by default, because Bell or Wells haven’t done enough either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Percy Pig said:

Sorry, what? 

57 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

????

Easy enough concept to grasp: there are players who can look good in a training scenario, but who'll not make it to elite levels of the game. Only a minority of players will do so. 

6 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Easy enough concept to grasp: there are players who can look good in a training scenario, but who'll not make it to elite levels of the game. Only a minority of players will do so. 

But Cornick already has a good record at this level, he will come good for us as well as long as the fans don't write him off beforehand.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Maybe

C'mon Dave. I think you're falling for the "let's defend Cornick at all cost" faction that has mysteriously taken root here - but not among many on the terraces.

You cannot question that both Wells and Bell have had more successful games in a City shirt than Cornick has.  The fact that the afore mentioned haven't shone recently might be in part due to the team consistently looking poorer and less likely to score when HC is playing. 

That sounds harsh, but I'm being realistic. He hasn't established himself as a player who'll take us forward, nor even - this season - as a squad player "club in the bag".

That could change, and obviously his record from last season suggests he isn't "L2 standard". But this season, he'd only scored two for Luton, so it could be he's one of those players that has extended periods of poor form. He's in one now and I'd rather not see him playing on April 1st.

Anyway, I don't want to divert the entire thread from the discussion about our paucity of goalkeepers and a signing that, by any standards, hasn't worked out. 

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

But Cornick already has a good record at this level, he will come good for us as well as long as the fans don't write him off beforehand.

Love to share your confidence in that, PSR, but whether he comes good won't depend on fans, but on him.  He scored one league goal this season in 21 appearances for Luton (some were from the bench) and he also only scored one league goal for them in 20/21 (against us!) so I don't know if his 21/22 season is enough to say he has a good record in the Championship. 

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

C'mon Dave. I think you're falling for the "let's defend Cornick at all cost" faction that has mysteriously taken root here - but not among many on the terraces.

You cannot question that both Wells and Bell have had more successful games in a City shirt than Cornick has.  The fact that the afore mentioned haven't shone recently might be in part due to the team consistently looking poorer and less likely to score when HC is playing. 

That sounds harsh, but I'm being realistic. He hasn't established himself as a player who'll take us forward, nor even - this season - as a squad player "club in the bag".

That could change, and obviously his record from last season suggests he isn't "L2 standard". But this season, he'd only scored two for Luton, so it could be he's one of those players that has extended periods of poor form. He's in one now and I'd rather not see him playing on April 1st.

Anyway, I don't want to divert the entire thread from the discussion about our paucity of goalkeepers and a signing that, by any standards, hasn't worked out. 

No, not doubting that at all, but I’m talking about in the period of games since he joined…that is much more in doubt.  That’s the context of what I’m saying is more questionable.

Back to Haikin…he’s a perfectly decent keeper, his performances for Bodo in Europe prove he’s no mug.  But Max ousted Bentley (Bentley ousted himself???) and has deservedly claimed the no1 (12) jersey.  Max has done nothing to warrant losing his place, no Nik has had to resign himself to being on the bench.  Some are happy to be a no2, Nik appears to not be, and he’s sought an opportunity to rejoin his former team.

I honestly don’t think it’s really a reflection on his ability (crikey- our former no1, a perfectly decent keeper went upwards to the PL!!!), and it’s provided us with experienced cover whilst we attain enough points to not have to worry about Max getting injured and having to play Wiles-Richards in a potential relegation battle, whilst allowing Bajic to gain more first team experience.  So in a way you could say it has worked out.  But that’s my logic!

As for Wiles-Richards, I’m quite interested to see how he takes on being no2.  His contract is up in the summer.  He has ability, the big question marks will be application / mentality.  Maybe that’s Nige setting the challenge?  It’s a big opportunity.

I’ve no idea on Bajic next season.  I could see him being no2, but equally I could see him being moved on also.

Just throwing in some other stuff, but we went through 14/15 with Dave Richards as our no2 to Frankie.  He didn’t see any action, but I sat in the tin shack on the corner / in front of the away supporters in the Atyeo that season…by the practice net, and saw a young keeper grow significantly through exposure to being with the first team.  He was bloody awful at the start of the season, but much better by the end of it.  Not sure Cotts wouldn’t have delved into the emergency loan market had Frankie got injured, but he’s carved out a career in Lg1/2, closing in on 100 apps.  The season before we went through ‘em like nobody’s business!

Keepers are a funny breed.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

You have to question the recruitment of this guy really, seems like a complete waste of a wage for a few months

Not really... Cheap back up keeper to cover in case of an emergency, every club has one and he is certainly a lot cheaper than keeping Bentley.

I think you're looking for a problem that isn't there.

• Like 14

On 20/03/2023 at 09:21, Davefevs said:

Yeah, I get the point.  And in some ways I am contradicting myself re young players.  Although I’m more in the camp that I’m happy to see the youngsters provide backfill rather than cheap appearances.  I’d be quite happy for OTC to sit on the bench over Andy King if we had James, Naismith plus Scott in midfield…if that makes sense.

Re Haikin, I guess I just want Max to keep improving, and gaining experience.

I read an interesting article the other day that suggested having two no1s is not a good idea…and that you want an out and out no1, feeling his place isn’t under challenge, Uber confident that he’s gonna play.  Not sure if I agree or not, just an interesting thought, because we all suggest we want two no1s.

In my long time watching City, it has been a rarity when we have had two number ones vying for the team selection.

The mid 1950's with Tony Cook and Bob Anderson. And mid to late 1970's with John Shaw and Ray Cashley.

Can anyone add to that? 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

So which of our kids makes the bench against Reading then?

Wiles-Richards has been on the bench for the first team 7 times previously, so unless we have already made a decision not to extend his deal which expires this summer then it will surely be him.

As an aside I do wish we could keep the Cornick pile on to just one thread, it is becoming borderline obsessive now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Wiles-Richards has been on the bench for the first team 7 times previously, so unless we have already made a decision not to extend his deal which expires this summer then it will surely be him.

As an aside I do wish we could keep the Cornick pile on to just one thread, it is becoming borderline obsessive now.

Seems logical, (both points), I was trying to work out which of our keepers are out on loan to be honest, it's difficult to keep track. I noticed that the young team that played Cirencester last night had a goalkeeper that I had never heard of, and possibly one on the bench too. We seem to like to have several around the club.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

In my long time watching City, it has been a rarity when we have had two number ones vying for the team selection.

The mid 1950's with Tony Cook and Bob Anderson. And mid to late 1970's with John Shaw and Ray Cashley.

Can anyone add to that? 

Ronnie Sinclair and Andy Leaning?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

You have to question the recruitment of this guy really, seems like a complete waste of a wage for a few months

I'm not going to question it too much. Back up keeper signed on low wages and he's gone home. Fine. 1 out 3 signings in January has failed. I can live with a 33% failure rate.

O'Leary and Wiles-Richards can navigate us through the final 8 games of the season as we gently drift towards a mid-table finish. 

Bajic back in the summer and reassess.

GK is a position of minimal concern right now in my opinion.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

2 hours ago, DaveF said:

Not really... Cheap back up keeper to cover in case of an emergency, every club has one and he is certainly a lot cheaper than keeping Bentley.

I think you're looking for a problem that isn't there.

I agree with Dave. From our point of view we got a good look at a player to see if he fitted our squad, he also was experienced back up on match days, which allowed us to send the younger keepers out on loans to gain experience.

From Haikins point of view, he basically got a paid working holiday, access to top training facilities and coaching, possibly on more money than he was being paid back in Bodø. The club there got him off their wage bill for a period and possibly have a fitter player coming back.

There doesn't seem to be much of a downside, unless it's that Haikin never got a chance to prove himself.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Seems logical, (both points), I was trying to work out which of our keepers are out on loan to be honest, it's difficult to keep track. I noticed that the young team that played Cirencester last night had a goalkeeper that I had never heard of, and possibly one on the bench too. We seem to like to have several around the club.

Joe Duncan?

He’s been involved a few times on match day in the keeper warm-ups.  Usually if u21s have played on sane day as first team iirc

• Thanks 1

Just now, Davefevs said:

Joe Duncan?

He’s been involved a few times on match day in the keeper warm-ups.  Usually if u21s have played on sane day as first team iirc

Ah right, he was the one you mentioned the other day when asking about the warm-ups. I had forgotten that.

• Like 1