IGNORED

Haikin Released (Confirmed)

Port Said Red

I rather got the impression we were shocked how rusty he was when signed & don’t think his only appearance for the 21s was particularly great, either.

Think we are forming an opinion of him as the weeks go by, I doubt very much he’ll face Reading but if he doesn’t get a chance before the season ends I doubt we’ll offer him anything.

I would prefer we didn't go down the route of just trying players in matches because fans think that a player that hasn't played might be better than a player that generally has had a good season.

Hopefully Nige judges who's in the side based on seeing what they can do everyday.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I thought Max slipped under his recent standards today, his distribution in particular took a step back. We need to see what Nikita Haikin can offer before the end of this season really, so I think the opportunity is there to give him a couple of games.

Yep wouldn’t be against that. Sadly we have little options elsewhere as fair few others I’d like to rest/drop too. 

15 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I thought Max slipped under his recent standards today, his distribution in particular took a step back. We need to see what Nikita Haikin can offer before the end of this season really, so I think the opportunity is there to give him a couple of games.

His “recent standards” include a spill at Preston and being beaten tamely at his near post against Cardiff. So I’m not sure you can frame it as an issue exclusive to today.

I was happy enough for Max to be our number one, but I’m starting to worry. The error rate is concerning.

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1

56 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Don't see Haikin as here for anything more than cover at the moment,

basted on the way he's playing in France at the moment I would expect Bajic to be looked at as possible number one next season, he seams to have a bit more about him than Max,

• Hmmm 1

16 minutes ago, Gazred said:

All depends on if he's likely to be here next season. If not, don't bother.

Could well be in for a senior keeper in the summer.

Well we don't know if he stays or not unless we get a look at him, and he needs to have a hope of getting games.

Just now, Port Said Red said:

Well we don't know if he stays or not unless we get a look at him, and he needs to have a hope of getting games.

I know what you mean but he could already be seen as only good enough as back up.

More than happy if he is considered good enough and stays on, it's an easy signing in what could be a busy summer.

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

His “recent standards” include a spill at Preston and being beaten tamely at his near post against Cardiff. So I’m not sure you can frame it as an issue exclusive to today.

I was happy enough for Max to be our number one, but I’m starting to worry. The error rate is concerning.

Agreed. I tend to think that keepers at our level are pretty much of a muchness at keeping. The difference comes in error rate. And When Max is good, he’s very good. But I think there are a few too many errors in there for my liking. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gazred said:

I know what you mean but he could already be seen as only good enough as back up.

More than happy if he is considered good enough and stays on, it's an easy signing in what could be a busy summer.

On experience alone that seems unlikely, Europa League football and in the Russian squad during WC qualifying games, at 27 he should be in his prime.

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

On experience alone that seems unlikely, Europa League football and in the Russian squad during WC qualifying games, at 27 he should be in his prime.

Definitely some pedigree there. No evidence to suggest he couldn't do the business for us.

Guess we just have to wait and see if he gets some mins between now and the season end. Will surely go some way to giving us an idea what NP wants to do.

• Like 1

I don’t think Max’s standards have slipped.  Nige not making Max culpable today.

I also think we play our strongest side possible until the end of the season.  Until I see Haikin, then Max is no1…and I’m not sure I’m gonna see Haikin unless Max’s form drops off a cliff or he gets injured.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, winsaw said:

Don't see Haikin as here for anything more than cover at the moment,

basted on the way he's playing in France at the moment I would expect Bajic to be looked at as possible number one next season, he seams to have a bit more about him than Max,

Interested to know what you’re basing Bajic “doing well” on.

He’s played 9 games in the French second division (a very poor standard) & kept one clean sheet, let in 2 yesterday v Caen.

He might come back to compete but nothing so far suggests he’ll be first choice.

All these p****s coming on here just looking for a scapegoat and someone to blame.

Max is the least of our problems, but because he kicks the ball out of play a couple of times he's destined for the bin. Since our upturn he's been one of our best players and got us out of jail or stopped an absolute mullering on 3 or 4 occasions like Luton just gone, but hey people just to remember the mistake like Preston. I really do wonder whether people are watching all these games, imo don't think they are!!

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
  • Flames 1

33 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

One error and they're all out of the woodwork again 

Laughable. (Not aimed at the OP, who makes a fair enough point).

What error? ???

image.thumb.png.5aa9ee56cae96497795293daf03a2ede.png

My post on OSIB WhatsApp group.

Lo and behold, Nige said pretty much the same post match.

Edited by Davefevs

7 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Being beaten tamely at his near post v Cardiff is very harsh not just on Max but the goal scorer. Very good strike drilled on the floor

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jaydee=inspiration said:

All these p****s coming on here just looking for a scapegoat and someone to blame.

Max is the least of our problems, but because he kicks the ball out of play a couple of times he's destined for the bin. Since our upturn he's been one of our best players and got us out of jail or stopped an absolute mullering on 3 or 4 occasions like Luton just gone, but hey people just to remember the mistake like Preston. I really do wonder whether people are watching all these games, imo don't think they are!!

Until your childish contribution, the thread has been a perfectly reasonable discussion.

Max has had some very good games for us but that doesn’t make it any less true to observe that he has made a number of critical errors recently. And it’s not unreasonable to express concern about the rate of those errors.

Believe it or not, some of us are mature enough to have a grown up conversation about the merits of one player or another with no intent to “look for a scapegoat or someone to blame”.

If you can’t handle a nuanced conversation about a player that may - shock horror! - include some reasonable criticism, maybe try Facebook or something.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think Max’s standards have slipped.  Nige not making Max culpable today.

I also think we play our strongest side possible until the end of the season.  Until I see Haikin, then Max is no1…and I’m not sure I’m gonna see Haikin unless Max’s form drops off a cliff or he gets injured.

I guess my point is that we have a handful of games left where our only probable objective is to achieve more points than last season to show improvement. I think you, I and many others would like to see the kids get minutes to prove themselves, shouldn't Haikin get the chance to do the same? 

He's taking a bit of a risk to come here and show he can play in England, I think it would be disappointing for him to not even get on the pitch.

• Like 1

What a fickle sport football is, Max was motm only a few days ago at Luton and stopped it from potentially being an embarrassing result at Luton. That’s not the first time he’s managed to save it from being an embarrassing score line either.. I think the short answer here is no we won’t be seeing Haikin anytime soon, like others have said unless Max picks up an injury Max is our deserved number one moving forward and will quite literally have the no1 shirt next season. 

21 minutes ago, TommyD68 said:

What a fickle sport football is, Max was motm only a few days ago at Luton and stopped it from potentially being an embarrassing result at Luton. That’s not the first time he’s managed to save it from being an embarrassing score line either.. I think the short answer here is no we won’t be seeing Haikin anytime soon, like others have said unless Max picks up an injury Max is our deserved number one moving forward and will quite literally have the no1 shirt next season. 

I am not suggesting that Max should be dumped, we rest outfield players, why not goalkeepers. If it was earlier in the season, we could have used Haikin in early rounds of a cup competition, as we have done with other keepers in the past, including Max. We don't have that luxury, but we do have a goalkeeper keen to prove himself, who might save us a lot of time and money if he shows he is good enough.

I don't know why some posters are determined to see this as a criticism of Max.

8 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I am not suggesting that Max should be dumped, we rest outfield players, why not goalkeepers. If it was earlier in the season, we could have used Haikin in early rounds of a cup competition, as we have done with other keepers in the past, including Max. We don't have that luxury, but we do have a goalkeeper keen to prove himself, who might save us a lot of time and money if he shows he is good enough.

I don't know why some posters are determined to see this as a criticism of Max.

I think the reason people are jumping on your original post is because it was literally advocating dropping him after one match where he's (in your eyes - I didn't see the match) slipped below his normal standards.  Outfield players get rested based on fitness and stamina - not something that affects keepers, so any change would be Max being dropped, not rested.  

Haikin ideally would be used in the U23's and if he is looking head and shoulders above anyone at that level then we possibly look to bring him in to, as you say, see where he is in terms of Championship readiness.  I would be reluctant to do that until we're mathematically safe, however.

As for Max being made a scapegoat, I don't see that as being the case, however it's undeniable that his distribution when going long has gotten pretty poor, and rightly draws comparisons with Frankie Fielding.  Other than that I would say that in my opinion the difference in Max between Bentley's last match (Brum away) and today shows a massive improvement in confidence and a command of his area.  The latter draws from the former, but he was decidedly shaky further on, however has really grown into a decent Championship keeper.  One to take us to the next level?  Possibly not, but if he continues the upward trajectory of this season, then there's no reason why he shouldn't develop into the next level.

Max has maybe made more errors recently, or not looked as good as he was - but our defence has also been completely up in the air . When he was looking better, he had a fairly consistent group in front of him. Coincidence?

These things are rarely about a single player in my opinion. It's obviously a team game, and that goes for both keeping the ball out of your net, and putting it in the oppositions.

I'm not sure he's going to be a long term starter if we're ever a top 6 team (hah!) although Pearson seems to disagree based on his recent contract.

I don't agree with the "his distribution has got worse" though... it's always been crap in my opinion! I don't think his distribution was ever better than Bentley's, I think he just played differently which made it easier for him to recycle the ball and play as part of the back line.

Max has done a great job this season overall.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I guess my point is that we have a handful of games left where our only probable objective is to achieve more points than last season to show improvement. I think you, I and many others would like to see the kids get minutes to prove themselves, shouldn't Haikin get the chance to do the same? 

He's taking a bit of a risk to come here and show he can play in England, I think it would be disappointing for him to not even get on the pitch.

Yeah, I get the point.  And in some ways I am contradicting myself re young players.  Although I’m more in the camp that I’m happy to see the youngsters provide backfill rather than cheap appearances.  I’d be quite happy for OTC to sit on the bench over Andy King if we had James, Naismith plus Scott in midfield…if that makes sense.

Re Haikin, I guess I just want Max to keep improving, and gaining experience.

I read an interesting article the other day that suggested having two no1s is not a good idea…and that you want an out and out no1, feeling his place isn’t under challenge, Uber confident that he’s gonna play.  Not sure if I agree or not, just an interesting thought, because we all suggest we want two no1s.