IGNORED

Haikin Released (Confirmed)

Port Said Red

I like Max, I really do. However, not sure he is a long term Number 1 here in say 3 or 4 years time still the GK. Makes too many sloppy errors and his kicking out is often dreadful.

He's a decent back up Goalkeeper, but for consistency in the Championship I think we could find a better one. Haikin needs to be tried for a few games.

Truthfully we've only really had Maenpaa at this level since promotion in 2015 was consistently solid for us.

Not sure we'll be seeing anything from him - suggestion that he's heading back to Norway.

"Bristol City are set to terminate their short-term agreement with Nikita Haikin as the goalkeeper is ready to re-sign for Bodo/Glimt less than two months after arriving at Ashton Gate, according to reports in Norway."

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-goalkeeper-set-leave-8273896

Translation via Google: "Now, however, Glimt has come to an oral agreement with Haikin in particular about a surprising return to Aspmyra only a short time after he left the club, Nettavisen and AN are informed. ... The existing short-term agreement with Bristol City, which initially lasts until 30 June, is, according to Nettavisen and AN's understanding, about to be terminated. Haikin can thus return to Bodø and sign for Glimt again."

https://www.nettavisen.no/sport/nettavisen-erfarer-nikita-haikin-pa-vei-tilbake-til-bodo-glimt/s/5-95-986108

So he signed until the end of the Season.

Loans can only be recalled during a window, unless both Clubs agree .

Why would we agree to this ?

His return would leave us with Max, Harvey Wiles-Richards the next most senior and Buse who is on loan. 

Can someone explain how this is working, and why ?

Seems odd.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

His return would leave us with Max, Harvey Wiles-Richards the next most senior and Buse who is on loan. 

Seems odd.

We're not going down and we're not going up.

Max getting injured is unlikely so even if we have to/choose to give Wiles-Richards a few games it's not really going to matter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, View from the Dolman said:

Translation via Google: "Now, however, Glimt has come to an oral agreement with Haikin in particular about a surprising return to Aspmyra only a short time after he left the club, Nettavisen and AN are informed. ... The existing short-term agreement with Bristol City, which initially lasts until 30 June, is, according to Nettavisen and AN's understanding, about to be terminated. Haikin can thus return to Bodø and sign for Glimt again."

https://www.nettavisen.no/sport/nettavisen-erfarer-nikita-haikin-pa-vei-tilbake-til-bodo-glimt/s/5-95-986108

oh that's a shame

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

oh that's a shame

It would have been nice for him to get a chance, but if that's how it's worked out at least he hasn't burnt any bridges back home. If this is the case though, then I would say it makes more sense to have one of our young goalkeepers getting match day experience on the bench instead. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Seems odd.

For info, Norway run a summer calendar so their league starts in April, and their registration windows / rules are different to ours (we run a winter calendar).  Therefore it will likely be a simple termination with us, signing by them, no loan necessary.  No need for us to pay him some if his remaining contract, this will be a simple break of contract with no further obligations.

If I was cynical (who? Me?) he’s managed to bag himself a few months pay from us whilst OOC, whilst knowing Bodo have saved themselves off-season pay too.  But in fairness I reckon he might’ve fancied getting a gig permanently in this country, he was here previously.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 19/03/2023 at 14:52, Port Said Red said:

I thought Max slipped under his recent standards today, his distribution in particular took a step back. We need to see what Nikita Haikin can offer before the end of this season really, so I think the opportunity is there to give him a couple of games.

Just been on google site they reckon hes going back to his old club Bodo/glint ?

1 hour ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

We're not going down and we're not going up.

Max getting injured is unlikely so even if we have to/choose to give Wiles-Richards a few games it's not really going to matter.

I'm judging this decision, not on probability or reasonable behaviour, but on out injury record.

Day after He goes, odds on Max gets an injury. 

• Like 2

Well this thread aged well didn't it? 

I guess that Nige's answer to the original post is a clear and resounding "no f'n chance".

We'll definitely be looking at a keeper in the summer...

Also, it would appear that the coaching staff have also taken the opinion that he wasn't that much better than the other options we have, should we need to use somebody other than Max.

There is also a recently retired goalkeeper that likes cycling who could probably still do a decent job at this level if we needed an emergency signing ?

Edited by Taz
Added content.
  • Like 1

The fact he’s been here 2 months and Pearson had to remind himself he joined when speaking about the January window in the presser the other week “the 2 that we managed to bring in….*3 second pause* and Nik” suggests to me he was nowhere near the level. 

Would’ve been on a pittance and the definition of no risk, but sure some will use it as a stick to beat Pearson with (judging by twitter, definitely are) 

• Robin 2

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Unless Bajic becomes the challenger?

Possibly, although the reports of the under 21 appearances he's made have been a bit indifferent.

Of course that doesn't mean he comes back from his loan, kicks on in pre season and takes the chance with both hands (yes I did mean to do that!)

3 minutes ago, !james said:

That is a lovely message from him, especially as he never got to play for most of us. Some players have been here years and leave without any aknowledgement.  I get the feeling he could have been a good 'un, a decent Human if nothing else. 

• Like 13

4 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I'm judging this decision, not on probability or reasonable behaviour, but on out injury record.

Day after He goes, odds on Max gets an injury. 

We would be allowed to sign a goalkeeper on an emergency loan if that happened, because we would have no one on our books with league experience.

I was told a while back he didn’t make a great impression at all in his only U21 game & that we were also surprised just how rusty he was in his first week with us.

Not surprised that he’s going but thought it would be in the summer.

5 minutes ago, RedM said:

That is a lovely message from him, especially as he never got to play for most of us. Some players have been here years and leave without any aknowledgement.  I get the feeling he could have been a good 'un, a decent Human if nothing else. 

I think he's destined to become a very tough to answer question in a future City-based quiz in a few year's time.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Flames 1

20 minutes ago, petehinton said:

The fact he’s been here 2 months and Pearson had to remind himself he joined when speaking about the January window in the presser the other week “the 2 that we managed to bring in….*3 second pause* and Nik” suggests to me he was nowhere near the level. 

Would’ve been on a pittance and the definition of no risk, but sure some will use it as a stick to beat Pearson with (judging by twitter, definitely are) 

Imho I doubt that, he’s got good pedigree, but Max is no1 and Nige isn’t the type to break his selection policy to give someone a game. 

4 minutes ago, Taz said:

Possibly, although the reports of the under 21 appearances he's made have been a bit indifferent.

Of course that doesn't mean he comes back from his loan, kicks on in pre season and takes the chance with both hands (yes I did mean to do that!)

Yes, mixed reviews, so hard to tell.

I’ve watched a fair bit of his actions at Valenciennes, and he’s mixed there too. But their defence is poverty!!!!

• Like 1