IGNORED

Player of the Season

cidercity1987

17 minutes ago, David Brent said:

I imagine some couldn’t bring themselves to vote for Vyner but I hope he wins it.

Not just the most improved. He’s been our best and most consistent player, in my opinion. 

Best player, i.e. better than Scott?

More consistent than Scott?

Interesting. 

(I take the point about most improved)

1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Actually, good shout with Sykes. Certainly offensively. I'm not sure I'm convinced by his defensive capability (especially when playing further forward) but, er, I'm going to think about him now as well.

For a while I was all in on Vyner being my POTY. But I thought about it and I think Sykes has just been so solid. When we've been poor as a team he's been ok, rarely if ever has he been the "worst" player on the pitch. When we were good he was excellent. Absolutely he has room to improve, but this season I think you could say that about every player. Per your other post, it's a decision between 4 or 5 players who have had a 7 or 8 out of ten season. There's no runaway winner this year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spike said:

I'm a little different in that I'd say Pring for player of the season, he's come in and made left back his position, been outstanding both in attack and defence and has even covered at center back due to the injuries. I honestly think without him this season we'd be in a far worse position. His consistency has been brilliant too, I mean whilst most players have had bad patches he's at the very least put in good performances and I think he's become so reliable that he's held to a higher standard now. 

Scott is obviously the most talented player, that's not even a discussion we need to have and although he's been outstanding recently he has had a few patches where he's not held up to his own high standards hence I think Pring deserves it as he's been more consistent over the season. 

Vyner is still making mistakes and although people have taken to him more due to his vast improvement I still think people give him too much praise because of how bad he was at one point, I still think he makes too many bad choices but he's the best fit center back we have so he's going to play every game but certainly not player of the season in my eyes. 

Excellent summary ?

2 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Best player, i.e. better than Scott?

More consistent than Scott?

Interesting. 

(I take the point about most improved)

It’s a tough one. 

Vyner edges it for consistency for me. That’s because of Scott’s higher standard. A victim of his own ability. Of course Scott is by far our best player though. 

I did go for Vyner but i don't think he's been that good for the past month along with a lot of others, but certainly been very consistent up to then and so much improved. Probably another that will benefit from this break.

• Admin
40 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

Sorry to hear you didn't receive an email. If you put your details at the end I assume you will appear on the mailing list going forward 

It's odd bev I have previously always had emails... I've spoken to a few friends and more than half also never got this email 

I voted for Vyner and Scott. After a few difficult seasons of being in and out of the side and a number of tough games Vyner has really matured as a player this season and has become an accomplished defender. Scott as we all know is an exceptional talent and has been a joy to watch. 

Edited by Offside
Spelling

6 hours ago, Spike said:

I'm a little different in that I'd say Pring for player of the season, he's come in and made left back his position, been outstanding both in attack and defence and has even covered at center back due to the injuries. I honestly think without him this season we'd be in a far worse position. His consistency has been brilliant too, I mean whilst most players have had bad patches he's at the very least put in good performances and I think he's become so reliable that he's held to a higher standard now. 

Scott is obviously the most talented player, that's not even a discussion we need to have and although he's been outstanding recently he has had a few patches where he's not held up to his own high standards hence I think Pring deserves it as he's been more consistent over the season. 

Vyner is still making mistakes and although people have taken to him more due to his vast improvement I still think people give him too much praise because of how bad he was at one point, I still think he makes too many bad choices but he's the best fit center back we have so he's going to play every game but certainly not player of the season in my eyes. 

Agreed with Pring as player of the season and Scott probably for young player, or Conway (though difficult to justify after a lenghty absence)

4 hours ago, phantom said:

I don't know if I am the only one that has not had this email today, but the link is below:

CLICK HERE

I didn't receive an email either

7 hours ago, Super said:

I went for Vyner and Scott. 

On a sidenote would it not be better to do the men's and women's separate? I expect lots may not have heard of a lot of the players and might randomly pick one.

True.  Who's this Scott you mention.  Is she any good? 

• Haha 1

I went for Vyner and Scott. I nearly went for Scott and Scott, but I felt the improvement shown by Vyner and not being injured at all, and improving and doing it all with a lot of the time, fans quick to get on his back, warranted the credit to vote for him as POTY.

I was in two minds whether to go Scott or Conway for young player, but given TC has been injured for much of the season, I opted for Scott.

For me, it's a shame there wasn't a most improved player category, as this is where I would have liked to have really voted for Vyner, and then Scott as POTY and Conway as YPOTY.

Champagne moment was Nahki penalty for me. 

6 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

I'm prepared for some criticism here, but I went for Mark Sykes for POTY.

As a new signing he started the season strongly despite playing in a position unfamiliar to him. I watched him live in our August game home to Sunderland and his desire to get forward, running ability, and tenacity impressed me.

Like our whole squad he's had some ups and downs but he's currently our highest scoring non-striker (if we count Weimann as a striker), and is only narrowly behind Weimann, Conway and Semenyo.

He's been shifted around, played different roles, but has improved through the season and he's never stopped running. He's been included in almost all squads and has played a role in most games. Of outfield players he's got the 4th highest number of league minutes.

It's been a really, really impressive debut season and I think he deserves recognition.

Scott for YPOTY.

Dasilva winning a pen for champagne.

same 3 answers i gave ?

• Flames 1

5 minutes ago, HappyClapper said:

I went the same way. Vyner, Pring etc have shown great improvement, but player of the season for me should be your best/ most influential player.

There were a few that have been good, but for me Scotty has been on the highest consistent level. 

34 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

It’s player of the season not most improved player so it’s Scott all the way. Vyner if it was most improved.  

Personally would go with Scott if most talented player, but not player of the season, a decent number of games where he’s lacked impact in my view. But still a great season, so close run with Pring, Vyner and James for me. Overall I’d go Bob Taylor. 

3 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

Difficult to avoid recency bias when selected a player of the season. Hope Vyner having a poorer game yesterday doesn't affect the thinking of many because over the full season, for me, he's been our most consistent performer.

The captaincy yesterday was a just reward, but he really does deserve the POTY.

Scott and Tanner the two standouts for the YPOTY, Conway's injury robbing him of that. 

Has to be Scott really. Best player we've had in my lifetime. 

No recency bias here, Percy. Pring has arguably been our best player wherever he’s played this season, whether LB, LWB, LW or auxiliary CB. He’s been consistently excellent in every position IMO. 

Undoubtedly Vyner has improved beyond recognition and his availability cannot be questioned, but being ever-present shouldn’t mean he’s a shoo-in and a mistake is never far away with him, but it’s all about opinions.

#VOTEPRING

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Email received this morning.

A very difficult one this year? Many of our players have been in and out of the team through injury and loss of form.

At one time I was thinking Vyner or Wells but perhaps not anymore

Has Scott done enough with his obvious talent to win the award?

Champagne moment

Bell at Swansea?

Scott's skills to Wells to Bell at Preston?

Our first penalty in years?

Dominating away to Blackburn?

On reflection I am going for

Scott POTY

Conway Young Player

Scott v Preston Champagne moment

Agree with most of this everyone's ranting about vyner but he still has a mistake in him with his casual and backward and sideways passing .