IGNORED

End of an era: Soccer AM to be axed by Sky

phantom

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Bit like The Young Ones, incredible at the time, watch it back now, its dated badly!

Even Blackadder which at the time I thought was laugh out loud funny hasn't aged well which considering it was set in the past is ironic tastes change, or is it just us? 

11 minutes ago, pillred said:

Even Blackadder which at the time I thought was laugh out loud funny hasn't aged well which considering it was set in the past is ironic tastes change, or is it just us? 

It's the same with The Inbetweeners and that was out only 10-15 years ago and I've seen disclaimers for offensive language/homophobia before it's been shown on TV.  

12 minutes ago, Mr X said:

It's the same with The Inbetweeners and that was out only 10-15 years ago and I've seen disclaimers for offensive language/homophobia before it's been shown on TV.  

Nah, I sit there sniggering at it just like I did first time around.  And it’s one of the few tv comedies, certainly laddish comedies, that Mrs F chuckles at too.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Bit like The Young Ones, incredible at the time, watch it back now, its dated badly!

Even by the 90s it had dated quite a bit.

Saying that, the first time I watched it I nearly gave myself an asthma attack laughing at Vyvian demonstrating why you shouldn’t put your head out of a moving train window.

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Haha 2

I proposed to the Mrs on the show back in 2008 and so I am sad it has gone. That said, I've barely watched it in the past ten years and I don't think they could replicate my TV magic so it was downhill from then. Perfect day topped off with a victory at Watford after a late goal for the mighty reds.

• Like 3
  • Robin 2

6 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

I proposed to the Mrs on the show back in 2008 and so I am sad it has gone. That said, I've barely watched it in the past ten years and I don't think they could replicate my TV magic so it was downhill from then. Perfect day topped off with a victory at Watford after a late goal for the mighty reds.

Did the proposal go well or did she say yes?

• Haha 7

20 hours ago, Northern Red said:

I genuinely didn't realise it was still going. I'd given up on it long before even Lovejoy left.

Same. IfI was younger I would just think I outgrew the format, but I am old enough to know better. It just got tired, juvenile and cringy. Rinse and repeat.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Perfectly captured 1990's and 2000's culture, which is no longer applicable today

Right decision

Along with Big Breakfast, this really was a British show of its time, the 90's were pre internet and mobiles for most people, and i think the 90's really was the end of an era in many ways.  

Its a shame the collective TV watch by the public has largely disappeared due to streaming etc and we are now engulfed by the same Tv programmes as the rest of the world.  Live Breakfast Tv was immense in the 90's!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Mr X said:

I still laugh at the Inbetweeners but it's amazing that in such a short space of time, the world has moved on in terms of what is deemed acceptable, and I genuinely think it wouldn't get made now and certainly not in the same way.

If you watch Little Britain now it has aged terribly

Edited by Tinmans Love Child
  • Like 1

Been on it's ass for years. I actually didn't realise it was still going until a few years ago, switched it on ready for a chuckle and just looked on and thought "WTF".

It's time to put it to sleep. They've been cruel to let it live this long...

18 hours ago, The Coach said:

Well overdue. 

Loved it back in the day. Soccer AM from 9-12. Down AG, few drinks in the old Dolman hall. Followed by watching us play likes of Port Vale and Tranmere at home.

Good old days! Very different days mind

This was pretty much my routine! Loved it when growing up. 

Stan Hibbert

Barry Proudfoot

Sheephead with the weather 

Tubes question

Catwalk

Xmas dance off

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Along with Big Breakfast, this really was a British show of its time, the 90's were pre internet and mobiles for most people, and i think the 90's really was the end of an era in many ways.  

Its a shame the collective TV watch by the public has largely disappeared due to streaming etc and we are now engulfed by the same Tv programmes as the rest of the world.  Live Breakfast Tv was immense in the 90's!

TV now has just become so ' vanilla'... 

Inbetweeners, the fast show, little Britain...so funny, still is imo. 

And who can't remember the Big Breakfast. Bring it all back. Fed up of cancelling everything because someone might get offended ?

Remember this...

54 minutes ago, phantom said:

Honestly never thought of that before reading this - is an interesting point

I  think the name Soccer was used when football first organised itself into league form back in the 1880s/90s. This was to distinguish it from rugby football. I suppose the names just morphed into football and rugby eventually. I've just had a thought when I was in junior school (1960s) we used to call it footer. Was that a thing or maybe just at my school?

Was genuinely unmissable back in the day. 

listened to an interview with Helen Chamberlain a few years back, and she talked at length about the evolution of the show and basically said the growth of social media is what started their downfall. Tekkers, big tackle, third eye etc were all hugely popular, but they soon became stuff that everyone had already seen hours after it happened rather than the following week on the show. 

A lot of change in the world too, so a lot of things done/said wouldn’t wash with the Sky execs as time went on too. I think when it dropped from 3 hours a show to 2 hours that was when the writing began going up on the wall. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Was genuinely unmissable back in the day. 

listened to an interview with Helen Chamberlain a few years back, and she talked at length about the evolution of the show and basically said the growth of social media is what started their downfall. Tekkers, big tackle, third eye etc were all hugely popular, but they soon became stuff that everyone had already seen hours after it happened rather than the following week on the show. 

A lot of change in the world too, so a lot of things done/said wouldn’t wash with the Sky execs as time went on too. I think when it dropped from 3 hours a show to 2 hours that was when the writing began going up on the wall. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/mar/23/soccer-am-was-not-just-laddish-banter-it-changed-my-life-and-gave-soul-to-saturdays

Good article here from Max Rushden saying the same thing about social media

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Quite right, Soccer AM was a big part of the 90s Zeitgeist - the vibrant red white and blue of Britpop, Blair, TFI Friday, Trainspotting, Euro 96, Loaded, lads and ladettes, etc.

Some of these have aged better than others - you decide which!

By the way, the terms 'soccer' and 'football' were both commonly used and fairly interchangeable when I was a child in the 70s, so I've never understood why people have a problem with soccer.

• Like 1