IGNORED

New pro deals for 6 academy lads...

!james

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/new-pro-deals-for-academy-six/ 

Six Academy players have signed their first professional contracts as the club continues its ambition to develop players for the first team.

Left-sided forward Elijah Morrison has signed a two-and-a-half year contract, while goalkeeper Josey Casa-Grande and forwards Kai Churchley, Marley Rose and Olly Thomas have two-year deals – all to the end of June 2025 – and striker Callum Hutton one year.

With an average of six players from the Academy in the senior matchday squad this season and a combined 232 appearances – including a full debut for midfielder Omar Taylor-Clarke recently against Swansea City –  the club are benefitting from the club’s highly-regarded pathway.

Technical Director Tinnion said: “Congratulations to the six lads for securing contracts - they and the Academy staff have worked hard to get them to this place. Now the challenge for those players is to kick on and start knocking on the first door for that next opportunity.”

JOSEY CASA-GRANDE

Welsh-born seventeen-year-old goalkeeper Josey grew up in Newport, where he played for the Exiles before joining City at Under-11 level. He has part of successful Under-21s team currently second in the Professional Development League Two, trained with the first team and also had work experience with Larkhall Athletic and Keynsham Town.  

KAI CHURCHLEY  

Seventeen-year-old Kai was born and grew up in Cheltenham Town for whom he played at youth level before joining City at Under-16s level. A right-footed central attacking midfielder, he has scored 14 goals and provided 11 assists this season as part of the successful Under-21s team currently second in the Professional Development League Two. Brother Ronnie joined the Under-14s this season.

CALLUM HUTTON 

London-born Callum grew up in Caerphilly before signing for City’s pre-Academy at Under-7s. The 18-year-old right-footed attacker, who has speed and good finishing ability, has scored eight goals and provided two assists this season as a member of the Under-21s team currently second in the Professional Development League Two.  

ELIJAH MORRISON

Seventeen-year-old Bristol-born Elijah grew up in Bedminster and played for Bristol Inner City Football Academy before joining the Robins at Under-16s level in the summer of 2022. A left-sided player with speed, power and crossing ability, he has trained and travelled with the first team and was on the bench against Manchester City for the Emirates FA Cup Fifth Round tie at Ashton Gate.

MARLEY ROSE 

Bristol-born 18-year-old Marley grew up in Whitchurch and had spells with Southampton, Yeovil Town and Bristol Rovers before joining the Robins at Under-16s level. A right-footed midfielder with an ability to dribble and cross, he has had spent time on work experience with Bath City this season.

OLLY THOMAS

Born in Bristol and raised in Bradley Stoke, 17-year-old Olly played for Mangotsfield and South Gloucestershire before joining City at Under-16s. A right-footed quick and powerful attacker, he has had spent time with Bath City this season on work experience as well as training with the first team and was on the bench against Manchester City for the Emirates FA Cup Fifth Round tie at Ashton Gate.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 2

Interesting to see how many youngsters that we still pick up from over the bridge.

The keeper Casa-Grande here is from Newport, Hutton grew up in Caerphilly, Wood who was on the bench recently is from Monmouth & Taylor-Clarke is another Newport lad.

You’d think this would be Cardiff’s main area to scout but we seem to regularly pick up a fair few from there.

• Hmmm 1

Being realistic, the possibility that more than one per year making the grade at league level is unusual. Yet we produced three from the same under 21's with Kelly, Vyner and O'Leary before the present management came to the club.

In the last two years since Pearson arrived, many have made amazing progress. For this reason I hope my first comment will not come true for the latest City boys who are hoping for the world cup final to figure in their careers. Or a trip to the Prem with City ; Bristol City!

12 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Interesting to see how many youngsters that we still pick up from over the bridge.

The keeper Casa-Grande here is from Newport, Hutton grew up in Caerphilly, Wood who was on the bench recently is from Monmouth & Taylor-Clarke is another Newport lad.

You’d think this would be Cardiff’s main area to scout but we seem to regularly pick up a fair few from there.

Got Burns from them too, with Ellis Harrison going to Rovers from same the cohort. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Got Burns from them too, with Ellis Harrison going to Rovers from same the cohort. 

Remember talking to Wes’ dad privately on here when he was with us.

He was absolutely scathing about their academy then, despite being a big Cardiff fan & he said no one from the year that Wes was in (they let him go at 16) ever made it there. He’s gone on to have a very decent career & is a regular starter at Ipswich.

Absolutely no idea (or indeed care) if their set up is any better now, but from the outside it does seem odd we get so many Welsh lads, it would be like them picking up youngsters from Taunton & Gloucester.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

You’d have thought if nothing else for the reason that until recently they had a premier league cat 1 academy not far in the other direction who hoovered up talent.

think we’ve had a decent connection with staff at places like Newport thought which has helped 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

You’d have thought if nothing else for the reason that until recently they had a premier league cat 1 academy not far in the other direction who hoovered up talent.

think we’ve had a decent connection with staff at places like Newport thought which has helped 

Could be the Craig Bellamy effect.

https://m.allfootballapp.com/news/EPL/Craig-Bellamy-storm-Cardiff-coach-hit-by-‘anti-English-bully’-claims/935074

1 hour ago, redkev said:

Morrison & rose not just born and bred in Bristol but bemmy boys , it doesn’t get much better than that. 

Morrison’s the one I’m looking forward to seeing, although not sure what position he’ll nail down longer term.

21 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

Jamie Knight-Lebel

Raphael Araoye

Both already have professional contacts and would expect to see them around the

JKL isn’t left sided.

Duncan Idehen is though ?

11 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Is there an obvious reason why "Elijah Morrison has signed a two-and-a-half year contract" (i.e. one that will expire mid season)?

Perhaps something related to his age but I'm not sure on how that might work? 

Ha…I wondered about that so asked @Lrrr about this earlier, and just as I was about to look at their d.o.b. He replied saying likely because he’s just hit 17, the others are a age group / year older, so guess it’s about them following straight in from their scholar contracts, whereas Elijah will be signing straight on his 17th.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, GrahamC said:

This is an interesting point as it seems to work both ways now. Cardiff have just sold a Bristol born boy to Wolves from their U14s, and have another boy in the same age group from Bristol who is a very good player. The second one is a left winger and I’d be surprised if bigger clubs aren’t watching him too.

I’m not sure what the set up is like at Cardiff now but I have heard it’s still pretty ruthless. 

• Thanks 1

Certainly being active in youth football around Yate, I can say that Cardiff do a fair bit of scouting here. They tend to be around at all the major local summer tournaments and it’s rare that any player (at whatever level) won’t have had some degree of “eyes on” by both the two Bristol clubs and Cardiff by the time they hit secondary school.

The tipping point for kids as to what they choose is partly geographical, partly opportunity but in the main part what the experience is. Most parents (luckily) do realise that even once you’re in the system, making a career is rare so it’s about how much the kids get out of it. City’s in my knowledge is excellent in terms of the wider life support the boys get. If Cardiffs is cut from a different cloth,  I’m not surprised we pick up players who’d otherwise go to them.

• Like 2