IGNORED

Soldier Blue

I watched this for the second time on the Legend Channel last night.

The first time I watched it was back in 1971 (?) at the cinema.

The film was considered shocking back in 1971 because of the explicitly violent massacre scene at the end. 

Last night, i remembered why i'd fallen ever so slightly in love with Candice Bergen back in 1971 (well, a lot, actually).

image.jpeg.a5b3a16c750395ba14d46bde79237073.jpegimage.jpeg.1705e14c8e986c7a2163131319436fb8.jpegWatch Soldier Blue | Prime Video

2 minutes ago, Sir Leigh of Somerset said:

The film was considered shocking back in 1971 because of the explicitly violent massacre scene at the end. 

Last night, i remembered why i'd fallen ever so slightly in love with Candice Bergen back in 1971 (well, a lot, actually).

image.jpeg.a5b3a16c750395ba14d46bde79237073.jpegimage.jpeg.1705e14c8e986c7a2163131319436fb8.jpegWatch Soldier Blue | Prime Video

it was an X film back when it was released. There were a lot like that back then that we wouldn`t even consider to be nowadays - The Godfather, The Good, The Bad And The Ugly to name but two and all those really naff Hammer Horror films.

41 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

it was an X film back when it was released. There were a lot like that back then that we wouldn`t even consider to be nowadays - The Godfather, The Good, The Bad And The Ugly to name but two and all those really naff Hammer Horror films.

How was Cabaret ever deemed an ‘X’?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sir Leigh of Somerset said:

I never saw the film, still haven't, but seem to remember school friends talking about (glorifying in?) the horrific massacre scene at the end of the film, including, if I recall correctly, an Indian woman's breasts being sliced off.

What I do remember about the film, though, is the Title Song, sung by Buffy Sainte-Marie, a song that introduced me to one of my favourite female singer/song writers.

On 25/03/2023 at 10:09, Lanterne Rouge said:

Along with The Wild Bunch, A Fistful Of Dollars, Rollerball , The Wicker Man and Straw Dogs. Even James Bond films were rated PG!

Because of the sexual overtones/raunchy/violence. I remember as an under age teenager trying to get into to X rated Bonnie and Clyde in 1968……some of my schoolmates had somehow got into see it and bragged about it……….apparently it there scenes of Faye Dunaway with virtually nothing on…………….:cool2:

On 25/03/2023 at 09:06, Lanterne Rouge said:

There were two Peter Sellers films (early 60s) that were X's. Never Let Go and Only Two Can Play, both excellent films  but X's for different reasons. The first was very violent for the time, the second was for heavy sexual overtones .

1 minute ago, slartibartfast said:

There were two Peter Sellers films (early 60s) that were X's. Never Let Go and Only Two Can Play, both excellent films  but X's for different reasons. The first was very violent for the time, the second was for heavy sexual overtones .

Imagine if something like Reservoir Dogs had been made back then. It would never have made it to the cinema at all. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Calculus said:

Not really comparable. The scenes in Cabaret re pre war anti-Jewish sentiment and dehumanisation are very dark.

Yes: I wasn't being entirely serious about the Sound of Music comparison. Although I don't think the film is anything like as dark as many of the stage productions. I was lucky enough to see the production that's currently on in London early last year and the second part of that production is really very dark - hairs standing on end dark at some points. 

On 29/03/2023 at 19:26, Midred said:

I must have watched this at the Classic cinema on Staplegrove road in Taunton. Back in the day we still had two cinemas in the centre of town! 

God that was a long time ago! ?

The Classic and the Odeon up in town. I think the Gaumont down by the station was closed by then - I never saw a film there anyway. Saw some cracking gigs at the Odeon too - Bowie, the SAHB, Sparks even Jasper Carrott!

• Like 1