IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

4 minutes ago, Jose said:

But should still be judged on output. Not putting the lad down as disappointed I’m not going to see him next season. However his “ stats” don’t read amazing when you’re asking for 25 million. 

It’s  win win for us. We sell we get a big cash offer and set the club up for the immediate future and if he stays he can help us push for top 6. 

Normally you are worried about losing your best player however very relaxed about this one.

Yes it's strange as I rate him and love watching him play but I want him sold this summer!

£25m could be invested in the squad and wouldn't be putting our eggs in one basket-imagine if he got injured or suffered a sudden loss of form! 

also I'm really intrigued to see how he'd get on in the prem with better players alongside him!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I think there are a small minority of our fans that struggle with the concept that Scott is NOT an attacking midfielder and should NOT be judged against the output of other attacking midfielders

Agree with that. However, I also think his output could and probably should be better than it is. It's not like he just sits in front of the back four, he's a box-to-box midfielder. 

To be blunt, his shooting ability/technique is just not very good. He doesn't even seem able to put his foot through the ball. It's an area I hope he and the coaches really work on this summer. 

If he adds that missing ingredient to his game then he really will have the potential to become a top, top player. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Bit of an odd poll, as I don't think comparing Maddison and Scott is like-for-like, is it? Maddison plays much further forward. 

Maddison has 10 goals and 9 assists from last season, Scott scored 1 league goal and made 4 assists in the C'ship.

Yeah, they aren't like for like. I was more interested in the fact that quite a few responses wanted Scott over an established Premier League and England international

15 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

Yeah, they aren't like for like. I was more interested in the fact that quite a few responses wanted Scott over an established Premier League and England international

Yes, I was surprised by that. I don't know loads about Spurs but in their position I'd definitely take Maddison.

13 hours ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Going by posts from many fans across Twitter where they’ve suggested their club sign Scott for a few million - I think our fans and club are hugely overvaluing Scott. I understand the club doing it to obtain optimal price but I can’t see any club offering any more than 10m quid for him. 

Lansdown/Pearson have said the bidding starts at 25m...

The good thing is that Scott hasn't been agitating to go, almost the opposite in fact in that he thinks it's inevitable for his career, but he loves it here. 

Who knows, if we could keep him for one more season and we are successful, perhaps he can get the best of both worlds?

• Like 4

Just now, Port Said Red said:

The good thing is that Scott hasn't been agitating to go, almost the opposite in fact in that he thinks it's inevitable for his career, but he loves it here. 

Who knows, if we could keep him for one more season and we are successful, perhaps he can get the best of both worlds?

I understand this sentiment but surely we wouldn't get the best of both worlds.

If he plays another season with us his value will plummet regardless of how well he has played due to the length of time remaining on his contract. Unless we get promoted but thats a very big 'if' or if we get him on a longer contract with a release clause again I'm not sure that's likely.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

If he plays another season with us his value will plummet regardless of how well he has played due to the length of time remaining on his contract. Unless we get promoted but thats a very big 'if' or if we get him on a longer contract with a release clause again I'm not sure that's likely.

That's true, my conjecture is based on the idea that we do get promoted.

Okay it's a bit back of a matchbox but what about.

One more year and if Scott could just add one year to the deal- but with a fair but out clause next summer. Chances are that even if he is here beyond this summer his value will fall in the next 12 months as his contract winds down. Always does

Really this is the optimum time to sell from a financial perspective but from a football perspective one more year would be great- also don't think one more year continuing to develop  grow and flourish here would be too bad either from his perspective. The key time to move is always a difficult one from a development perspective.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

9 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Of course there is always the danger when a player gets closer to the end of his contract, that his "value" will start to fall.

However, while that would normally be the case, I've thought for  long time that Scott is an exceptional talent - possibly only surpassed by Bellingham in recent memory. Accordingly,  and if he produces another season like last, or improves upon it ( not ridiculous as he becomes stronger and more experienced and especially if we are stronger and better as a team) then there will be even greater demand for him.

Clubs might think they can get him on the cheap a year later, but they then run the risk of missing out if another club comes in sooner and they might not then get the chance to get him again until he has become a £50/80/100m player, by which time a lot more clubs could/would be after him! If this is the case, and there are enough clubs genuinely wanting him, then it is supply and demand that will determine his fee, not the length of his remaining contract.

As I see it, the real danger is if Alex's agent starts telling him how much he (Alex) can make by running his contract down and moving on a free a year later, although I'd like to think that Alex can already see the type of career that he wants and  is possible, to achieve which would mean moving to the highest level as soon as possible, not holding out for more money and risking his progress stalling by staying here.

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

The big issue with the “Scott valuation debate” is “us” deciding that his valuation is based on stats…and even then, what are the stats in question.

If it was goals and assists, we wouldn’t be talking £25m.

Just like why a Saudi team are prepared to pay £100m p.a. for N’Golo Kante.

There is no fixed formula, it’s not even easy to compare players like for like.

As you’ll know I’m keen on Jason Knight as a midfielder replacement for Alex Scott.  BUT not as a direct replacement for the way he plays, but because I think a City midfield without Alex Scott would need to play a bit differently, and Knight might fit that.

You also have to consider why Alex Scott hasn’t got more G+A this season (he got 4G+2A last season) and some of that is because the way we play, and what sort of goals we score / create.

He’s a prompter, a prober around the box, not a 3rd man runner benefitting from a prompter / prober.  It’s why Sykes has upped his goals because he’s now “getting in” at the far post, it’s why Cam Pring has several assists, because he’s the one being allowed to “get past” Scott inside the full-back to cross.

We don’t really create chances for the central midfielder to break into the box.  The Scott goal v WBA in the FA Cup was a rare example of a CMer breaking into the box.  Last season, Weimann was the 3rd man runner beyond Martin and Semenyo.  We don’t play like that this season.

Etc, etc.

PL clubs are interested in Scott because of plenty of other things that G+A, like his ability to manipulate the ball in tight spaces, take the ball on the turn, control and pass with both feet, dribble to create space for others, etc, etc.

• Like 6
  • Flames 2

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Okay it's a bit back of a matchbox but what about.

One more year and if Scott could just add one year to the deal- but with a fair but out clause next summer. Chances are that even if he is here beyond this summer his value will fall in the next 12 months as his contract winds down. Always does

Really this is the optimum time to sell from a financial perspective but from a football perspective one more year would be great- also don't think one more year continuing to develop  grow and flourish here would be too bad either from his perspective. The key time to move is always a difficult one from a development perspective.

I don’t think Alex Scott is here next season without another year (at least) being added to his contract.  If we don’t extend, we’ll sell.  I see it as cut and dried as that, we won’t expose ourselves to next summer with one year left.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think Alex Scott is here next season without another year (at least) being added to his contract.  If we don’t extend, we’ll sell.  I see it as cut and dried as that, we won’t expose ourselves to next summer with one year left.

Won't buying clubs know that too and factor it in to what they are willing to pay now though?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Won't buying clubs know that too and factor it in to what they are willing to pay now though?

Not sure how to answer really, other than my view is that any club bidding for him this summer will be bidding for a talented player with 2 years left on his contract.  Sorry if that makes no sense / doesn’t answer your Q.

3 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

I think there are a small minority of our fans that struggle with the concept that Scott is NOT an attacking midfielder and should NOT be judged against the output of other attacking midfielders

He is a central midfielder, one who likes to tackle and keep the ball moving,

He is a combination of Lee Johnson and Marvin elliot only much much better,

He's a player who can also carry the ball forward, hence he is very verisitle, ie can play anywhere across the middle as well as on the wing if needed,

We play him further forward, England play him deeper,

The best modern player to compare him against is probably cesc fabrigas 

3 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

He is a central midfielder, one who likes to tackle and keep the ball moving,

He is a combination of Lee Johnson and Marvin elliot only much much better,

He's a player who can also carry the ball forward, hence he is very verisitle, ie can play anywhere across the middle as well as on the wing if needed,

We play him further forward, England play him deeper,

The best modern player to compare him against is probably cesc fabrigas 

I always see him as a Luca Modric, I wonder if Spurs might too?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Agree with that. However, I also think his output could and probably should be better than it is. It's not like he just sits in front of the back four, he's a box-to-box midfielder. 

To be blunt, his shooting ability/technique is just not very good. He doesn't even seem able to put his foot through the ball. It's an area I hope he and the coaches really work on this summer. 

If he adds that missing ingredient to his game then he really will have the potential to become a top, top player. 

I think you've hit the nail on the head perfectly @Kid in the Riot.

He reminds me a bit of kids that haven't really been trained in Academies when they were younger on how to kick a ball properly.

For all his ability, his shooting can be poor, and you would expect more from his set piece delivery as well.

He certainly has all of the raw ingredients to get to the top, but anyone buying him would probably view him as huge potential, but until he's worked on those areas that he needs to, not really a starter in a PL team.

The price tag is high, as his profile will never be higher than what it is now, but if I was a lower end PL team I would also be looking at Cam Pring, who's trajectory performance wise reminds me of when Jim Brennan's career took off back in the day.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

I think you've hit the nail on the head perfectly @Kid in the Riot.

He reminds me a bit of kids that haven't really been trained in Academies when they were younger on how to kick a ball properly.

For all his ability, his shooting can be poor, and you would expect more from his set piece delivery as well.

He certainly has all of the raw ingredients to get to the top, but anyone buying him would probably view him as huge potential, but until he's worked on those areas that he needs to, not really a starter in a PL team.

The price tag is high, as his profile will never be higher than what it is now, but if I was a lower end PL team I would also be looking at Cam Pring, who's trajectory performance wise reminds me of when Jim Brennan's career took off back in the day.

Only my opinion, but far too much emphasis that the only way he can play / justify PL is if he can score goals.  So much more to his game than that, and in the right team his technique would allow him to slot into several teams in a 6 or 8 role.

We talk about his shooting being poor…(“can’t kick the ball properly ?)

IMG_7632.jpeg.23812382eef82339a762b871cd01b476.jpeg

But 39.1% shots on target is in the top 25% for CM in the Champ (see percentile rank chart below).  Goal conversion, just below average (Orange clicks below)

IMG_7633.jpeg.a37eedc0dd4b7d6e73d7ce76b92579ed.jpeg

he got 5 assists last season, that’s in the top 20% of CM in the champ.

If we take some of his other data, we start to see the technical ability on the ball of Alex Scott and why PL clubs aren’t looking too closely at the goals column (1 Lg 1 cup).

IMG_7634.jpeg.c645ed698310546abb87514354171038.jpeg

Those are pretty stellar on the ball stats across the board.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 5

I think if someone comes in with a £25m offer plus add-ons then we won’t haggle and take it. We could try for an auction and potentially get more if we hang on but I believe the club have a philosophy that if the price is reached they would rather sell and leave time to make further acquisitions. That is my reading between the lines ‘assumption’ from a recent conversation with someone at the club (albeit not a decision maker). A Derby player was also mentioned in the conversation. Of course my assumption could be wrong but it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

• Like 3