IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

11 minutes ago, brad blit said:

That’s pretty much the norm now, a bid could be as simple as a chat between a chairman, CEO, director or even manager between 2 clubs 

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

No issues with that.

For a paltry 23m euro. Inter fans not happy 

Cool. I’m hoping the club stand firm with the fee though??

1 minute ago, The Bard said:

£22 million is in the ball park.. West Ham or Brighton is where I think he'll go. European football means they  need more players and he'll get games

Now it's becoming real it seems low. Right ballpark for Webster, rolls royce Champ player. But Scott is something else and so much younger.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Journalist said:

The only thing I would say with Alex Scott is... he's different, isn't he? He's a generational talent for a club like ours.

Brownhill's never looked close to being international quality. Kelly had huge potential but still had flaws with us, there were still parts to his game that were lacking. Webster was truly exceptional but was 24 when he left us and, really, had only had one mega year at Championship level.

Scott's 19 and is ready right now. I keep reading that West Ham/Tottenham/Wolves fans are saying it's a lot of money for potential. I don't think they're buying potential - they're buying a player who'll be a regular for them by Christmas.

All opinions, obviously, but with Scott more than any other player we've sold the sell-on clause will be a huge money maker.

I guess the bigger the fee you get now (let’s say £25m), the more he needs to go for next time (if at all) to make “decent money”.

As I referenced and Graham backed up with more detail, Bolasie is the only one of real significance, it took a £20m+ “profit” to generate the £4-5m net (we had to give Plymouth some too iirc).

For Scott with a typical 15% sell-on, he would have to go for £60m to generate “Bolasie” sized sell-on.

Of course this might be achievable, this is Alex Scott.  But I’d rather squeeze the initial fee as much as possible.  It’s quite possible someone like West Ham might place conditions on the sell-on, e.g. as long as it happens in the first x years.  Add-ons need to be achievable too, international appearances, etc.

I do think when he goes we will get an incredible sum of money…and to that point I’m a bit blasé about what the fee will be.  It’s not my money, I don’t think we will be taken for mugs, so I’ll just go with it.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

When was the last time we quoted the £25m, hasn’t it been a couple months? 

With the hype around him and the amount of midfield talent moving this summer we could have upped our valuation just without making it public.

The £25m value does seem quite low when you take into account how much Webster was sold for but different times I suppose pre Covid and all that.

It has to be £25m plus in my opinion. It’s ridiculous money but I believe he could be the difference between achieving playoffs and not. That therefore means he could be the difference between promotion and not. That would get us more than £25m and Alex would be a Prem player. 

I’d be rubbish at this game. If I were SL I’d be saying do you know what “**** it, he’s not for sale and we’re going for it this season.” Just imagine the positivity around the place if he’s still our player when the window slams shut. 

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

50 minutes ago, real_bristol said:

It has to be £25m plus in my opinion. It’s ridiculous money but I believe he could be the difference between achieving playoffs and not. That therefore means he could be the difference between promotion and not. That would get us more than £25m and Alex would be a Prem player. 

I’d be rubbish at this game. If I were SL I’d be saying do you know what “**** it, he’s not for sale and we’re going for it this season.” Just imagine the positivity around the place if he’s still our player when the window slams shut. 

Correct, why is everyone so desperate to sell ? Keep the lad , enjoy our football ⚽️, and look to win promotion.

If we kept someone for once we could have a squad including Webster , Kelly , Brownhill , Semenyo and of course Scott and would possibly be favourites for going up.

16 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Correct, why is everyone so desperate to sell ? Keep the lad , enjoy our football ⚽️, and look to win promotion.

If we kept someone for once we could have a squad including Webster , Kelly , Brownhill , Semenyo and of course Scott and would possibly be favourites for going up.

People aren't desperate to sell, people are Realist,

If 25m came in, there are 2 reasons the club can't turn it down, 1 if fills a massive hole in the budget, you may not of noticed but there is a thing called ffp, Bristol city have been close to exceeding this which in turn could of led to a transfer embargo and even a points deduction, Bristol city also lose between 12 and 18 million pounds a season, if it weren't for 1 person with deep pockets then the club wouldn't be in the championship,

2. We can't stand in the way of what probably is the best player ever produced at this club, promotion is not garenteed If Scott stays, where as moving to West ham for example garentees Scott prem football European football and a realistic chance of playing for England at a senior level,. That simply won't happen staying at Bristol city

Edited by Monkeh
  • Like 10
  • Hmmm 1
  • Robin 1

18 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I've no doubt we'll play hardball on bids, but City want this deal to happen this summer, ideally as quickly as possible. 

And I suspect most fans want this to happen as well ASAP so we can all move on and enjoy Match of the Day ?. Hope he gets more game time than Sem is going to get 

I can see that some people are saying £25m isn't enough and comparing deals of £105m for Declan and saying we got similar for Webster. Firstly Rice can't be compared one bit and Webster was sold for good money in a time that millions were being thrown around the Championship.

The Championship is a completely different financial landscape these days and I would argue if we had the money in for Alex if he is sold, that money would go much further on new additions to the squad and some retained for ffp and further transfer windows.

Plus I can see a few posters saying 'if' we get promoted Alex would be worth much more. I agree but that's a huge risk to take in my opinion.

Without all the sentiment of keeping Alex, I'm quite relaxed about the situation. I think we could be potentially better as a squad as well have a sizeable amount of cash for many transfer windows ahead and new additions. If he stays and I think that's unlikely he'll be part of a team that may propel us to the promise land.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

If 25m came in, there are 2 reasons the club can't turn it down, 1 if fills a massive hole in the budget, you may not of noticed but there is a thing called ffp, Bristol city have been close to exceeding this which in turn could of led to a transfer embargo and even a points deduction, Bristol city also lose between 12 and 18 million pounds a season, if it weren't for 1 person with deep pockets then the club wouldn't be in the championship,

2. We can't stand in the way of what probably is the best player ever produced at this club, promotion is not garenteed If Scott stays, where as moving to West ham for example garentees Scott prem football European football and a realistic chance of playing for England at a senior level,. That simply won't happen staying at Bristol city

After a day of disagreeing, today is a new day and me and Monkeh are back agreeing!!! ?

• Like 2

Aston Villa , Wolves and others were all very mindful of FFP the year they went up, weren’t they ? If we are always happy playing second fiddle , fine. Personally after supporting the club since 1966 I would like to actually win something.With a player like Scott, we stand a better chance of doing that.

Over to the accountants

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

what does OF even mean.................it's HAVE .

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Aston Villa , Wolves and others were all very mindful of FFP the year they went up, weren’t they ? If we are always happy playing second fiddle , fine. Personally after supporting the club since 1966 I would like to actually win something.With a player like Scott, we stand a better chance of doing that.

Over to the accountants

It’s the football food chain, good player for small club leaves for big club. Been like this since day dot. We’ve taken best players off of small clubs, Matty Taylor, Aden flint etc. it’s just the way it is 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Over to the accountants

Disagree. We are fairly close to FFP limits and keeping him puts all our eggs in one basket. What happens if he gets injured or suffers a loss of form? £25m plus a nice little sell on clause basically solves FFP and would allow us to really upgrade all areas of the pitch with more quality. 

I could get behind keeping him until Jan to see how we are getting on but we cannot let him enter the last 18 months of his contract imo.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, HoldenBall said:

It’s the football food chain, good player for small club leaves for big club. Been like this since day dot. We’ve taken best players off of small clubs, Matty Taylor, Aden flint etc. it’s just the way it is 

I like what you did there. Small clubs and Matty the Snake ?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Over to the accountants

And if we don't go up? Are you happy to start on -10 points the following season with a 4 window transfer embargo and massive fines?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Grey Fox said:

And Bobby Reid / Joe Bryan

And Dioni and Engvali!

I know they're not academy players, before anyone points it out.

Edited by downendcity

24 minutes ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

Disagree. We are fairly close to FFP limits and keeping him puts all our eggs in one basket. What happens if he gets injured or suffers a loss of form? £25m plus a nice little sell on clause basically solves FFP and would allow us to really upgrade all areas of the pitch with more quality. 

I could get behind keeping him until Jan to see how we are getting on but we cannot let him enter the last 18 months of his contract imo.

In other words, sell a quality player and buy a load of average ones instead? How about some ambition for once?

• Hmmm 1