IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

I feel totally relaxed about this. I'd like him to stay for another season but if the price is right so be it. Of course it has to be £25M minimum, and in full without instalments. After all if a team is going to make an opening bid of £22M then you know they're going to stretch to £25M even if the add ons get adjusted. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I feel totally relaxed about this. I'd like him to stay for another season but if the price is right so be it. Of course it has to be £25M minimum, and in full without instalments. After all if a team is going to make an opening bid of £22M then you know they're going to stretch to £25M even if the add ons get adjusted. 

Agree.   If the opening bid is 22M ..... I think he is effectively gone.   West Ham have a load of money, as we all know.   If City hold strong, WH will either find the cash, or another club will.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

FWIW very few fees of this amount will be up-front.  It’ll be instalments, but we will charge them for it, in effect like interest.

So if fee I’d £25m, we might actually charge them £4 if they want to pay it over 4 years, £5m now, £5m next year, etc, so it’s £29m in total.

Fictitious numbers!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

As always - completely nailed this 

Just to add - Alex Scott has also made it clear he would like to leave when the right opportunity comes along. It’s down to us now to get the right price for him 

The clubs long term plan does not include Scott for the simple reason he wants to move up a level 

If big clubs don’t agree with our valuation perhaps Scott will realise , if he doesn’t already, that he needs to up his game a shade to have his pick . 

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

FWIW very few fees of this amount will be up-front.  It’ll be instalments, but we will charge them for it, in effect like interest.

So if fee I’d £25m, we might actually charge them £4 if they want to pay it over 4 years, £5m now, £5m next year, etc, so it’s £29m in total.

Fictitious numbers!!!

Dave Any thoughts re the likely sell-on clause e.g. the % and other add-ons?

47 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

And what would our odds be if our squad included :

g/k Heaton

Back four Ayling, Webster, Kelly , Bryan

Midfield Brownhill, Scott , Naismith, Williams 

Forwards Semenyo , Reid 

Or we can just continue to be mediocre, I know what I prefer 

Heaton left after we got relegated to league 9/10 years ago, Ayling was sold because the Cheltenham incident? 
Webster, Kelly, Brownhill, Bryan and Reid  would’ve have been out off contract by now and left for free all went on to play Prem football and had the ambition to do so so wouldn’t have signed new contracts what planet do you live on? 

• Like 4
  • Flames 2

Just now, IdliketoRogerMoore said:

Heaton left after we got relegated to league 9/10 years ago, Ayling was sold because the Cheltenham incident? 
Webster, Kelly, Brownhill, Bryan and Reid  would’ve have been out off contract by now and left for free all went on to play Prem football and had the ambition to do so so wouldn’t have signed new contracts what planet do you live on? 

The list I gave was purely to illustrate the quality of players that we have let go off in recent times. As to “ what planet “ , the one where as a Bristol City fan of 57 years standing, I have seen them win sweet fa other than the paint pot cup and where we are in the same division as when I saw that first game. The planet where I have seen Swindon , Blackpool , Wigan , Oldham and now Luton in the Premier League.

I’m guessing you always wanted to talk to Roger Moore, but never actually did.

1 hour ago, TammyAB said:

Norwich sold James Maddison and got promoted

Sheff Utd sold David Brooks

Leeds sold Jack Clarke

Not direct comparisons to us but slightly interesting nonetheless

Brentford also doing OK after selling Watkins, Benrahma, Maupay and Mepham, to name a few, on way to the premier league….

Edited by Alessandro
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

The list I gave was purely to illustrate the quality of players that we have let go off in recent times. As to “ what planet “ , the one where as a Bristol City fan of 57 years standing, I have seen them win sweet fa other than the paint pot cup and where we are in the same division as when I saw that first game. The planet where I have seen Swindon , Blackpool , Wigan , Oldham and now Luton in the Premier League.

Not sure you can say that.

1 minute ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

With Wigan, villa had parachutes and would have been screwed if they didn't sneak up that year 

Lansdown has always been a vociferous critic of the parachute payment system.
With our luck, you watch, the very season we eventually get promoted will be the same season he gets his way and they are abolished!!!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

So please explain how you force players against their will to sign contracts, the whole footballing world need to know this secret,

Also as a fan of 57 years you must of been aware of the small part of our history in 1982, where we almost folded,

Finally do you want to go back to giving 10 year contracts to keep these players against there will like we did in the late 70's that almost cost us the club?

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

2 hours ago, Grey Fox said:

Aston Villa , Wolves and others were all very mindful of FFP the year they went up, weren’t they ? If we are always happy playing second fiddle , fine. Personally after supporting the club since 1966 I would like to actually win something.With a player like Scott, we stand a better chance of doing that.

Over to the accountants

I actually think we can keep Scott this year and remain compliant. If anything waters become even less choppy after this season.

It just means we can't spend much more, £2-3m and that includes amortisation wage etc if we want to push it to the limit. One or two more signings only.

E.g. if we added Knight on a 4 year deal for £2m, that would be £0.5m pa in amortisation and £10-15k per week in wages a further £0.52-0.78m per year. Cost £1.02-1.28m.

Leaving £0.72m-1.72m or £0.98-1.98m to put back into the team.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

So please explain how you force players against their will to sign contracts, the whole footballing world need to know this secret,

Also as a fan of 57 years you must of been aware of the small part of our history in 1982, where we almost folded,

Finally do you want to go back to giving 10 year contracts to keep these players against there will like we did in the late 70's that almost cost us the club?

Boooooooom ? 

24 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

If big clubs don’t agree with our valuation perhaps Scott will realise , if he doesn’t already, that he needs to up his game a shade to have his pick . 

I rate Scott massively - however if people on this forum were to take off their rose tinted specs they would admit he still has so much to learn and improve on if he wants to go on and become a regular at a top hitting Prem club 

How the Scott saga is playing out is exactly how I expected it to. Clubs won’t bid for him straight away - I’d even go as far as to say he may be here the start of the season

I expect him to move on towards the end of the transfer window . The club will secretly want to move him on asap though as they may not be able to bring in his long term replacement until that happens 

Edited by Andy082005
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Yes we get it. 

1. You've been supporting City a long time.

2. Have seen us achieve sweet fa in that time.

3. You are frustrated.

Now here's the news.

1. Your proposed solution would make the club you love WORSE OFF, because

2. We have to sell players to survive and, as our expenditure exceeds our income by so much, it has to be our best players that we sell.

3. Lots of people share your frustration, especially about the likes of Luton getting promoted ahead of us but not selling our best players won't solve that - having a better manager, better coaches, better recruitment, better youth policy and - above all - better decision making at the very top of our club, will solve it. And btw, Luton got promoted after doing just what you're arguing against - selling their player of the year, one Kal Naismith.  

We all want a taste of the good life mate but your recipe for doing so won't work for a club our size under its current ownership. 

And another thing - how do you think Webster would have played for us if Brighton - his hometown club and a Premier League team - had bid for him and we'd refused to sell? He'd have loved that, wouldn't he.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 4

47 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

60 pages in and still non the wiser...Wish he would either go or stay so we can concentrate on the club rather than just one player. Currently I dont think £25m is achievable.

Is it that surprising to you that we have a 60 page topic on arguably the best young player we've ever had? I'd be surprised if this doesn't wrangle on for a while.

1 hour ago, Grey Fox said:

And what would our odds be if our squad included :

g/k Heaton

Back four Ayling, Webster, Kelly , Bryan

Midfield Brownhill, Scott , Naismith, Williams 

Forwards Semenyo , Reid 

Or we can just continue to be mediocre, I know what I prefer 

That team genuinely struggles to make the play-offs. No balance, no tactics, just vibes.

• Haha 2

I'm a strong believer that at some point we do have to take a risk and retain big players when we're on the cusp of promotion. Brentford did it with Toney, Villa did it with Grealish. It is possible and no amount of calling ourselves a small club will change my mind.

BUT a deep lying centre mid who's going to leave for £25 million and fund our next promotion push (which may or may not be successful) is not the hill to die on. This transfer will, if invested correctly, fund a squad capable of being a genuine promotion candidate in the near future. Keeping Scott won't help us achieve that.

We need to be proactive with players such as Tommy Conway and Cam Pring and tie them down to long term deals so that we aren't forced to sell in a year or two's time, otherwise we'll be stuck in this loop of selling players to tread water in mid table. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Grey Fox said:

I would like us to try to be successful, is that asking too much?

Sorry but you need to have a reality check. This is the optimum transfer window to get the maximum for him. Two years left on his contract , he’s not going to sign another one . We can rebuild the squad over the next few windows with the money we’d get for him. 

• Like 3