IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

33 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Clubs appear to be spending that already!  Tim Keech at MKRT said wage request levels were getting back to pre-Covid levels, which is crazy.

Wow. That's..

Hopefully we can avoid the madness a little but at this level it can drag everyone up or down as the case may be!

I suppose it's maybe still a bit of a net fall if say pre Covid levels vs a higher TV deal but that's not positive given what the industry went through, still football has short memories.

Think FFP and agents/players demands may come into conflict soon if so.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

7 minutes ago, OliOTIB said:

Ooooooh, so Fab now saying there is competition, which is different to what Bournemouth-end were saying.

If true, looks like others were keeping their cards close to their chests.

Its a fascinating one to watch play out.

@Kid in the Riot re spending £4m, not surprised at all, over 3 year deals (4 in Knight’s case) that’s only a little more than £1m in amortisation each year.  I didn’t expect 7-8 signings, nor 7-8 signings of £2m each (for example) if we sold Alex.  If he goes maybe 1 or 2 incomings.  I will be surprised if we go “madder” than that. ?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Ooooooh, so Fab now saying there is competition, which is different to what Bournemouth-end were saying.

@Kid in the Riot re spending £4m, not surprised at all, over 3 year deals (4 in Knight’s case) that’s only a little more than £1m in amortisation each year.  I didn’t expect 7-8 signings, nor 7-8 signings of £2m each (for example) if we sold Alex.  If he goes maybe 1 or 2 incomings.  I will be surprised if we go “madder” than that. ?

Think he's gone to Spurs Dave ?

With the Rice deal being completed today, let's hope West Ham bid. The best we can hope for now is a bidding war from several clubs.

Fortunately, the club would had known this would happen, and I fully trust them to reinvest back into the squad. 

It's shit selling our best players annually, however if you are not Real Madrid, every other club is a selling club. 

• Like 2

I also do recall a comment by SL in April though, sticks in the mind in his pre game interview before Burnley.

"What football makes, football can spend".

If we do make £25m and it's pure profit remember, could we put £10-15m back in.

Not on fees as such but amortisation, fees, loan fees etc. Clearly increase or decrease a bit subject to final fee, either in percentage or absolute terms.

Screenshot_20230714-115049_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9f986ade40d672a83d7462aa573165c5.jpg

51 minutes ago, OliOTIB said:

If we are to sell, which I think is a given, then this is exactly what we need. Bournemouth know that if bigger clubs get involved they have no chance. Stick to our guns and they will soon panic into paying exactly what we would deem acceptable.

As for the move itself, big risk for Scott. With what happened to Parker and the new manager coming in, the season could be a complete disaster.

Edited by formerly known as ivan

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

How do we retain them when they say they want to leave? Or when they run their contracts down and leave on a free? 

I'm not silly enough to say we shouldn't sell anyone, I understand the financial climate etc, but it's all down to the contract length. Bigger players than Scott have thrown their toys out the pram for a move but when the club have the contract on their side there's not a lot a player can do. Zaha has tried and failed (with Phil Alexander as the clubs' CEO), as has Kane. 

Don't think Scott would do that mind and I think Bournemouth will get close enough to our price tag to get the deal done so it doesn't matter.

• Like 1

• Admin
33 minutes ago, Ecko said:

Fortunately, the club would had known this would happen, and I fully trust them to reinvest back into the squad.  

It won't happen - as above people need to realised the costs in running a football club

People are acing as if this is bonus money, it will be used to meet FFP this year and beyond

1 minute ago, italian dave said:

Will we get to 100 pages before he goes……?

Incredible - I am just thankful we have a subsection 

1 minute ago, KegCity said:

..... Bigger players than Scott have thrown their toys out the pram for a move but when the club have the contract on their side there's not a lot a player can do. Zaha has tried and failed (with Phil Alexander as the clubs' CEO), as has Kane. 

Spurs meeting with Bayern today to discuss the sale

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I also do recall a comment by SL in April though, sticks in the mind in his pre game interview before Burnley.

"What football makes, football can spend".

If we do make £25m and it's pure profit remember, could we put £10-15m back in.

Not on fees as such but amortisation, fees, loan fees etc. Clearly increase or decrease a bit subject to final fee, either in percentage or absolute terms.

Screenshot_20230714-115049_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9f986ade40d672a83d7462aa573165c5.jpg

There's a lot implied with his comment isn't there.

1.  Football most certainly hasn't made any money before - we know that.

2.  He isn't happy for that to continue.

3.  Other sports don't cost as much.

4.  He has separated both in reality and in his mind money made from direct football activities (tickets, shirt sales etc) from what the Stadium makes.   

What I deduce from that is he probably wants to keep the Stadium as his.  He will continue to benefit from conferencing, food, drink etc.  Willing to sell the football club, but not the whole operation.  It all seems too complicated to me..  

50 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It seems it's exactly what I said about Bournemouth getting Crooks to say that there is no other interest. 

Bournemouth know that they are in a weak position when it comes to signing Alex. Their two options are to get the deal done early by trying to make us think we have no other interest or to pay more than anyone else. 

Looking at some of the comments even our own fans have fallen for it by saying maybe we should lower our price etc. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

Spurs meeting with Bayern today to discuss the sale

They are, and if Bayern meet Levy's extortionate valuation (100+ million for a player with one year of their deal left!) then he will go. Last summer we saw Man City refuse to meet Spurs' valuation. Despite Kane not turning up for training and trying to get his move Levy didn't budge, Kane decided it wasn't prudent for his career to not play for a season and got on with it. They're a bigger club than us but still have their place in the chain of selling players.

Again, would wish Scott well if someone meets our valuation, would be disappointed if we fold to an offer much lower than 25 million when there's plenty of time in the window and he has two years on his deal.

13 minutes ago, The Bard said:

There's a lot implied with his comment isn't there.

1.  Football most certainly hasn't made any money before - we know that.

2.  He isn't happy for that to continue.

3.  Other sports don't cost as much.

4.  He has separated both in reality and in his mind money made from direct football activities (tickets, shirt sales etc) from what the Stadium makes.   

What I deduce from that is he probably wants to keep the Stadium as his.  He will continue to benefit from conferencing, food, drink etc.  Willing to sell the football club, but not the whole operation.  It all seems too complicated to me..  

1. Largely agreed.

2. I wouldn't disagree. Football economics are a madhouse..and then some!

3. Yep.

4. Interesting..although as it stands at present, stadium revenue mostly flows to club what with Ashton Gate Limited sitting under Bristol City Holdings. I assume that the rugby related portion would of course flow to the rugby club.

Interesting last paragraph without a doubt. A change moving forward or?

Then losing money can mean very different things, could be that we spend as close to FFP as possible without breaking it or it could be that we try to get as close to breakeven as possible.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

1. Largely agreed.

2. I wouldn't disagree. Football economics are a madhouse! And then some.

3. Yep.

4. Interesting..although as it stands at present, stadium revenue mostly flows to club what with Ashton Gate Limited sitting under Bristol City Holdings. I assume that the rugby related portion would of course flow to the rugby club.

Interesting last paragraph without a doubt. A change moving forward or?

Then losing money can mean very different things, could be that we spend as close to FFP as possible without breaking it or it could be that we try to get as close to breakeven as possible.

I think the main issue is we have to cover the losses, 25 mil will cover the loses and prob give 8 million to spend basin that on a 17 million loss that is,

So while he said what football makes it can spend, we have a big deficit before that actually rings true

Have a feeling they won’t mess around with their 2nd bid. Think they’ll come in with an overall deal that’ll reach 25-30m with add ons now. Still praying for a bidding war and that Scott ends up somewhere better than Bournemouth but we put a price tag on him and have to accept whoever it is that pays it. If he does end up there we’ll all just have to hope he has a blinder and they sell him on to Man City in 12 months for 120m ??

5 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

I think the main issue is we have to cover the losses, 25 mil will cover the loses and prob give 8 million to spend basin that on a 17 million loss that is,

So while he said what football makes it can spend, we have a big deficit before that actually rings true

Well it depends how you spread it, amortisation, wages loan fees whatever. I think our losses will be £15-20m this year, without sales of course and likely closer to £20m of that range.

Or do we wish to measure cadh losses rather than profit and loss account- the latter is pertinent for FFP hut the lower the cash losses, the less equity SL needs to convert or the less cash or loans he needs to put in to keep the lights on!

4 minutes ago, Negan said:

Have a feeling they won’t mess around with their 2nd bid. Think they’ll come in with an overall deal that’ll reach 25-30m with add ons now. Still praying for a bidding war and that Scott ends up somewhere better than Bournemouth but we put a price tag on him and have to accept whoever it is that pays it. If he does end up there we’ll all just have to hope he has a blinder and they sell him on to Man City in 12 months for 120m ??

Exactly!

I see Rice is set to sign for Arsenal any time now….. could that open West Ham’s wallet??? 

3 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

An incredible spelling of "projections" btw Pop. Absolutely delightful to see such a spectacular typo ?

Mr P is the long lost son of Stanley Unwin!

15 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Exactly!

I see Rice is set to sign for Arsenal any time now….. could that open West Ham’s wallet??? 

West Ham won't have 100 million quid to spend when Rice leaves.

Arsenal are paying that in instalments, over 3 years (Arsenal wanted to do it over 5 years, West Ham refused). So - in round figures - West Ham will have 30 million to spend this summer but they're after several players.

So I suspect, even if they came straight in with a bid of 25 million, they'd want to structure the payments in a way that might not be what we're looking for. And for that reason, we might not accept their bid and, instead, accept a slightly lower one from another club who are willing to pay more up front.

There's a post somewhere on this thread stating that part of the problem with the offer from Wolves was that we want more than 10 million up front, which they couldn't do (never mind the fact they also couldn't get near our asking price).

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

43 minutes ago, KegCity said:

I'm not silly enough to say we shouldn't sell anyone, I understand the financial climate etc, but it's all down to the contract length. Bigger players than Scott have thrown their toys out the pram for a move but when the club have the contract on their side there's not a lot a player can do. Zaha has tried and failed (with Phil Alexander as the clubs' CEO), as has Kane. 

Don't think Scott would do that mind and I think Bournemouth will get close enough to our price tag to get the deal done so it doesn't matter.

Not the best example though is it? Zaha is going for free, surely that's not the outcome we want with Scott.

15 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Got to feel that any fee of £20m + add ons (potentially moving it up to £25m+) is one where we start serious talks.

Whether than is Bournemouth it doesn't really matter in my book. Money talks at the end of the day.

It would be interesting to think how that money would change our transfer dynamic over the next few weeks though (the plan B NP spoke about). 

Would we look to upgrade in positions we've already bolstered in the Plan A implemented thus summer so far.

Another 3-4 players and do we block the pathways of a number of the Academy players?

Sometimes having a larger budget comes with it's own issues and difficult decisions.

Chelsea springs to mind on the bigger budget issue 

2 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Not the best example though is it? Zaha is going for free, surely that's not the outcome we want with Scott.

After spending 8 years with the club (in his most recent spell) and being part of a transfer saga every summer where Palace put a price tag on him and stuck to their guns, so yes it is.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, phantom said:

It won't happen - as above people need to realised the costs in running a football club

People are acing as if this is bonus money, it will be used to meet FFP this year and beyond

We will use some of the funds to buy a 1 or 2 players, and the rest will cover FFP.