IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

1 hour ago, KegCity said:

Genuine question: what can Scott do about it if we reject a bid?

Down tools. Seems like a sensible/nice chap so wouldn’t expect him to do it if we turned down (say) £10m from Burnley, but he might if we turned down £25m from Man City. This is why think it’s so important the we’ve discussed with him/his representatives our expectations on offers and hopefully reached agreement, so everyone knows where they stand if/when offers come in. If there’s a release clause in his contract, that might make things more straightforward for one and all. 

4 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Down tools. Seems like a sensible/nice chap so wouldn’t expect him to do it if we turned down (say) £10m from Burnley, but he might if we turned down £25m from Man City. This is why think it’s so important the we’ve discussed with him/his representatives our expectations on offers and hopefully reached agreement, so everyone knows where they stand if/when offers come in. If there’s a release clause in his contract, that might make things more straightforward for one and all. 

We've ..., do you mean otib? ?

53 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yep, plus West Ham have changed focus since the new Director of Football was appointed.

I would be very surprised if he’s not a Bournemouth player by the time we face Preston.

Wonder if we put forecasts for future sell on clause receipts into our financial models and risk our future health, wealth and happiness being overly dependent on the transfer policy/competence of AFC Bournemouth with 3 reasonably significant potential sources of income with them at the same time. 

14 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Wonder if we put forecasts for future sell on clause receipts into our financial models and risk our future health, wealth and happiness being overly dependent on the transfer policy/competence of AFC Bournemouth with 3 reasonably significant potential sources of income with them at the same time. 

Unlikely.

Seems to me that although this now appears probable this isn’t a scenario you anticipate, that 3 high value assets all join the same club.

Bournemouth have really gone for it since January, I think their planning looks pretty good, sad to say in one respect…

I’m not sure either of our first 2 sales to them will ever move on at a profit, mind you, I’ve been in the minority saying that about Webster & Brownhill for ages.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, City oz said:

I would not be surprised if he stays another season with us unless the offer is well over 25 mill plus extras. The lad will be guaranteed a place every match with us next season if he is fit. I can only see him missing a first team spot when he is called up for international duty. 

Then if we get promoted, he most probably will stay for an additional season and his value will then be 30mill plus. Then the timing maybe correct not just career wise but also personal for him.

Wow what a great prospect he is and has become. 

I wish him all the best on what he ever decides to do. Probably one of the best players that will go down in BCFC history and a future England legend.

I would be shocked if we still have him after this window. Scott will not be a BCFC player for much longer.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

I would hope not.

Birmingham got into a tangle in 2018 doing just that. An FFP breach in the 3 year period to 2018 was likely, but they avoided Disciplinary action in season of the Projected Breach.

All the same they informed the EFL that their solution was that Butland and Gray sell-on clauses would solve the issue at least for that season.

They remained under a sort embargo as a holding pattern (signed Pedersen incorrectly hut that's another issue). 30th June came and went, EFL maybe gave them another month or so when haggling buy under full embargo. Maybe being a World Cup summer played in their favour a bit.

By end of July, early August 2018 nothing had materialised and they were subsequently referred for an FFP breach.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I would hope not.

Birmingham got into a tangle in 2018 doing just that. An FFP breach in the 3 year period to 2018 was likely, but they avoided Disciplinary action in season of the Projected Breach.

All the same they informed the EFL that their solution was that Butland and Gray sell-on clauses would solve the issue at least for that season.

They remained under a sort embargo as a holding pattern (signed Pedersen incorrectly hut that's another issue). 30th June came and went, EFL maybe gave them another month or so when haggling buy under full embargo. Maybe being a World Cup summer played in their favour a bit.

By end of July, early August 2018 nothing had materialised and they were subsequently referred for an FFP breach.

Thank you. Still wonder if having a decent chunk of possible future income tied up in the waxing and waning fortunes of one club is ideal. Or maybe I’m just angsty about feeling as if we risk becoming a feeder club for the behemoth of AFC Bournemouth. If we rename RB Bristol City I’m out. 

• Like 1

My guess is that his agent has been urged to hit the phones this weekend with an ‘anywhere in the Prem. before Bournemouth ‘ instruction. I understand and respect the food chain. They are ‘bigger’, better and wealthier than us, now and for the foreseeable future. Scott will welcome a huge wage rise that we can’t possibly match. But ultimately Bournemouth is dull seaside retirement home, with a Toytown ground and attendances about half of hours. And if you’re in the glory game, which football is, and you have options, which Scott does, that’s got to matter. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bedred31 said:

My guess is that his agent has been urged to hit the phones this weekend with an ‘anywhere in the Prem. before Bournemouth ‘ instruction. I understand and respect the food chain. They are ‘bigger’, better and wealthier than us, now and for the foreseeable future. Scott will welcome a huge wage rise that we can’t possibly match. But ultimately Bournemouth is dull seaside retirement home, with a Toytown ground and attendances about half of hours. And if you’re in the glory game, which football is, and you have options, which Scott does, that’s got to matter. 

But is basically the closest team possible to friends and family in Guernsey, which may mean a lot to him   

15 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Thank you. Still wonder if having a decent chunk of possible future income tied up in the waxing and waning fortunes of one club is ideal. Or maybe I’m just angsty about feeling as if we risk becoming a feeder club for the behemoth of AFC Bournemouth. If we rename RB Bristol City I’m out. 

For me (generally but we can apply to Bournemouth I guess), it's a bit of a calculated risk a selling club needs to take, decide on however IMO a sell-on clause or targeted  payment as part of a transfer...lovely to have and in some cases yeah it'll roll in, neatly banked but mostly budget as if it won't materialise and if/when it does you'll have a nice surprise or boost.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

But is basically the closest team possible to friends and family in Guernsey, which may mean a lot to him   

Sure, but you’re gonna fly to Guernsey, and there’s no appreciable time difference between the south coast and any major English city with an airport . I’ve taken the fast ferry from Poole to Guernsey quite regularly, and it’s a 4 hour, claustrophobic vomiton, so if you’re reading this Alex …

• Haha 5

43 minutes ago, Bedred31 said:

Sure, but you’re gonna fly to Guernsey, and there’s no appreciable time difference between the south coast and any major English city with an airport . I’ve taken the fast ferry from Poole to Guernsey quite regularly, and it’s a 4 hour, claustrophobic vomiton, so if you’re reading this Alex …

Many a trip on Condor Ferries to and fro to Guernsey when I lived there for 8 years - not a pleasant experience outside of the summer months ??

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

It might do, he is a young lad so could be a factor.

However, given the amount of money he is likely to be earning very soon, a private plane ride from London for example, is unlikely to trouble his bank account too much.

Edited by ScottishRed
Spelling

3 hours ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Without pressure of needing to name any names, have you heard any whispers of how the club plan to re-invest some of the money we receive? 

What we know is that Lansdown has said that any money the football club makes, it can spend. 

It was also said that we have a recruitment plan if Scott stays and a recruitment plan if he leaves. To me, that suggests we'll be looking at signing more expensive players than we have currently signed. 

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

What we know is that Lansdown has said that any money the football club makes, it can spend. 

It was also said that we have a recruitment plan if Scott stays and a recruitment plan if he leaves. To me, that suggests we'll be looking at signing more expensive players than we have currently signed. 

Doesn’t mean they will be more expensive, I’d imagine will stick to around the1,2 million mark.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, George Rs said:

Did also play there in the academy. And from the sounds of it wasn’t treated exceptionally well. Might also play a factor. 

This for me is the big thing. 

Would you go back to an ex or an old employer if they previously treated you badly? 

I think if Bournemouth was the only option then Alex would join them because of premier league football and the money. However I very much doubt that Bournemouth are top of his list.

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

If he stays at City I am sure SL would give him a free flight ✈️ on his jet back to the Channel Islands then a short boat ride from Jersey to Guernsey ?? 

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

Would you go back to an ex or an old employer if they previously treated you badly? 

I think if Bournemouth was the only option then Alex would join them because of premier league football and the money. However I very much doubt that Bournemouth are top of his list.

Agreed. Hoping he would turn them down because of it but seems highly unlikely.

7 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Yes, when it’s a completely different regime.  I doubt it was even first team people making the decision on him back then either.

5 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

With the way the squad currently looks, we have depth in most areas. 

Through the money received for Scott, you would hope to add a couple of players with real quality where it matters. 

I wouldn’t be surprised to see A GK, CM and ST (competition for Conway) arrive. 

One final CB is already a possibility due to Kalas, but it could yet be an academy graduate who is promoted to the 1st team.

Callum Wood, Jamie knight-lebel and Raphael araoye are all appreciated by Nige.

1 minute ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Thinking about what Shags said £20 million plus add ons could be good for us. One good season, holding his own in the Prem,  and he will probably be snapped up by a bigger team meaning we get funds next season as well. 

That's what most said about Lloyd Kelly, personally think he'll struggle to stand out plying his trade at Bournemouth.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

That's what most said about Lloyd Kelly, personally think he'll struggle to stand out plying his trade at Bournemouth.

There was interest but when you're in the PL and have Parachute Payments and a much laxer FFP as it was then there is little forcing a club to sell. Sure Newcastle were heavily interested under Howe in 2022 but Bournemouth needed him for promotion and once promotion no need to sell at all.

They were just about within FFP and they clearly placed faith in keeping him taking them up.

Burnley had some cash flow issues but Brownhill was deemed unsellable.

Shows their quality.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous