IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

2 hours ago, extonsred said:

If we kept Alex until Jan / next summer and he added goals to his natural skills what would he be worth then. 

Sure the coaches will be pushing this side of his game strongly in the run up to this season.

Been a bit disappointing in this area so far considering his amazing natural fluency and creativity.

I get what you mean but I think there are diminishing returns personally - I don't think they're just buying him because of what he can do now, but because of what he can do in the future. They know he's absolute quality already. I don't know if adding a few goals will really nudge the needle much, and I can't see a Championship player with no PL experience going for £50m+ or whatever any time soon so there is a limit there as well.

• Like 2

On a general note, middling or non fire sale needed clubs are not really bowing down to the big boys this summer and selling on the cheap go the bigger or richer clubs on the cheap which is a interesting sign. Bit different in La Liga owing to every player having a buyout clause.

West Ham with Rice a key one, Brighton with Caicedo another.

Neither Manchester club are finding it easy to get their targets, Gvardiol to Man City and Hojlund to Man United. Both I assume not in FFP or cash flow difficulties. Napoli have put a major price tag on Oshimen.

9 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

They were never called portable phones, they were car phones then mobile phones.

You sir have the memory of a goldfish.

Unless you live in somewhere like France where they are called portable

• Like 1

Dunno if it's just me but finding some Wolves fans well it's Twitter I guess and amplifies loud voices fairly insufferable.

Percy this, replies to Scott's Tweets that, some now claiming they've met the asking price, their kit launch with Scott appearing in it. Almost as if there is an air of entitlement and inevitably about adding Scott.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Dunno if it's just me but finding some Wolves fans well it's Twitter I guess and amplifies loud voices fairly insufferable.

Percy this, replies to Scott's Tweets that, some now claiming they've met the asking price, their kit launch with Scott appearing in it. Almost as if there is an air of entitlement and inevitably about adding Scott.

If you take Twitter as a benchmark then pretty much every fanbase in the country, including ours, will come across as juvenile, ignorant and arrogant.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

We would claim on the insurance. That logic also means you always sell, just in case. 

Not convinced about insurance payouts and football- @Coppello covered it a while ago but surely it would only cover the wages he is due if at all.

How do you insure someone with a book value of zero. Being an Academy product via Guernsey will be zero or near as dammit, there's very little to amortise.

Of course tbis isn't an argument to sell but can you insure against expected transfer revenue/profit?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

....but is that £25m worth of entitlement and inevitability?

• Hmmm 1

30 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

“Down to Wolverhampton“? Geography not a strong point obviously, nor spelling. 

Bristol is a top place to live.

So by that reckoning it's fair to say that you would go down to Wolverhampton.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

We would claim on the insurance. That logic also means you always sell, just in case. 

The the insurance cover is for how much ?  Todays market price or tomorrows potential ?  Or most likely just a set figure pre agreed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

The the insurance cover is for how much ?  Todays market price or tomorrows potential ?  Or most likely just a set figure pre agreed.

Typically a percentage of an agreed value, so no not for the full potential, but a method of mitigating risk.

My point however, is if you use the “ he might” argument, you always sell every talented player at the first opportunity, in case “he might”. In my opinion you will not win anything unless you take some risk, in this case that Alex Scott as a City player could help us in a promotion push, and if successful the financial rewards will dwarf the proceeds of selling him now.

The accountants on here say we don’t have to sell this year, so why not have some ambition and keep Alex for this coming season and go for it, we may even match the mighty Luton Town ?

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

15 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Typically a percentage of an agreed value, so no not for the full potential, but a method of mitigating risk.

My point however, is if you use the “ he might” argument, you always sell every talented player at the first opportunity, in case “he might”. In my opinion you will not win anything unless you take some risk, in this case that Alex Scott as a City player could help us in a promotion push, and if successful the financial rewards will dwarf the proceeds of selling him now.

The accountants on here say we don’t have to sell this year, so why not have some ambition and keep Alex for this coming season and go for it, we may even match the mighty Luton Town ?

Because for the billionanth time, we can't stand in the players way, how many times do you have to be told this

Sell Scott and we set the club up for the next five years,

Keeping Scott doesn't garentee us promotion, the team as it stands isn't as strong as Leeds, Middlesborough,  Millwall, Southampton, Leicester, Sunderland that's just six teams who should finish above us, without further strengthening of City's squad,

We finished mid table, we've added players but so has everyone else,

You seem to fail the very basics of economics with regards to ffp and club finances 

With Scott in the side its still doubtful we will finish top 6 and if we do, it's even more doubtful we would win the play offs as this club has never done that,

It is even less likely we'd finish top 2 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hmmm 4
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Because for the billionanth time, we can't stand in the players way, how many times do you have to be told this

Keeping Scott doesn't garentee us promotion, the team as it stands isn't as strong as Leeds, Middlesborough,  Millwall, Southampton, Leicester, Sunderland that's just six teams who should finish above us, without further strengthening of City's squad,

You seem to fail the very basics of economics with regards to ffp and club finances 

With Scott in the side its still doubtful we will finish top 6 and if we do, it's even more doubtful we would win the play offs as this club has never done that,

Believing is everything 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Football is about dreams not logic. You are perhaps realistic but bollocks to that. We can do it . 

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1
  • Robin 2