IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

6 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

Exactly this. If anything was even remotely close he wouldn’t of been playing yesterday.

I disagree.  We would only stop playing him when we agree a fee.    Why change our plans to give our best player a game because another club might be about to offer a fee for a player that we might accept?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Bard said:

I disagree.  We would only stop playing him when we agree a fee.    Why change our plans to give our best player a game because another club might be about to offer a fee for a player that we might accept?

Supposing (God forbid) he gets injured in a pre-season friendly though. Deal off? It certainly can happen..Diallo reportedly got a bad one in a pre-season friendly this month, Tommy Smith for Middlesbrough vs Real Betis.

Diallo on crutches, Smith was stretched off. Not light knocks or even medium knocks.

We pulled out of a deal over a very similar issue in 2008. Motaeb (sp) was all set to join but was not to play in an upcoming derby.

Play he did and the deal was off.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

It won’t be wolves if they can’t even afford €15mill on another player due to FFP. They’ve sold Jiminez for only 5mill and will need to replace him so surely striker is priority.

Personally, I expect Brighton to come to the table if they sell caicedo to chelsea. Reckon they could drop 30mill to blow others out of the water that are pissing around trying scrape together bare minimum

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BLRed said:

It won’t be wolves if they can’t even afford €15mill on another player due to FFP. They’ve sold Jiminez for only 5mill and will need to replace him so surely striker is priority.

Personally, I expect Brighton to come to the table if they sell caicedo to chelsea. Reckon they could drop 30mill to blow others out of the water that are pissing around trying scrape together bare minimum

Brighton would be a good fit for many reasons but there was talk that they were considering £25m to be excessive.

Of course as you say if Caicedo sold their view may well change but Brighton are quite adept at tapping the foreign market. Unsure on their Home Grown player situation. 

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Brighton would be a good fit for many reasons but there was talk that they were considering £25m to be excessive.

I think the Premier league 'collective' at the time were all saying that but our powers that be have stuck to their guns. Maybe the likes of Brighton may come back in knowing we aren't budging.

Personally, as a City fan, money talks but as a Scott fan, Wolves would be a crap move as I can see them coming down next season, certainly in for a battle.

Edited by Ska Junkie

1 hour ago, BLRed said:

I'd be delighted if the did but Brighton operate a very comprehensive transfer model. They don't pay for potential. Rather they find it where others don't.

3 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

OK then....

I do.

Ever since our glory days up to 1980, I have looked forward to the start of a new season. Like so many, I have thought that we'd be going up but knew some of that was based on wishful, loyal thinking.

However, this close season has been different. We finished well and have bought wisely. 

NP has a backroom staff he wants. There seems to be a genuine bond of trust between players.

If Bournemouth can get to the Premier League not once but twice and Luton Town can haul themselves out of the National League to the top tier, then I have every right to believe we can. I just think this is the season for us to do it....

And please, nobody is allowed to remind me of this post until after the 10th game at least!

I agree.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I'd be delighted if the did but Brighton operate a very comprehensive transfer model. They don't pay for potential. Rather they find it where others don't.

Agree to an extent, but they did pay £20m for Webster, so they will for the right player.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Agreed. But it’s something that if done right they could profit 50-60m in two years if prem player values stay as they are and Alex continues to do what he does. 

I think it’s highly likely that most teams would make exceptions to their normal window routine. Personally can see them waiting a bit longer and if it gets a couple weeks till the end of the window they’ll come in for him. Whether we accept or not is a different story.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Supposing (God forbid) he gets injured in a pre-season friendly though. Deal off? It certainly can happen..Diallo reportedly got a bad one in a pre-season friendly this month, Tommy Smith for Middlesbrough vs Real Betis.

Diallo on crutches, Smith was stretched off. Not light knocks or even medium knocks.

We pulled out of a deal over a very similar issue in 2008. Motaeb (sp) was all set to join but was not to play in an upcoming derby.

But then couldn't it be that by us risking an injury we are showing how serious we are about wanting to keep him? 

Don't get me wrong, I believe at 25 million we do want to sell, but we've got our poker face on to make sure we get exactly what we want for him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

But then couldn't it be that by us risking an injury we are showing how serious we are about wanting to keep him? 

Don't get me wrong, I believe at 25 million we do want to sell, but we've got our poker face on to make sure we get exactly what we want for him. 

Yep. You only pull someone out of your plans when you're dotting your t's and crossing your i's on the deal. Otherwise you're in a weak negotiating position. And then what happens when you don't get an increased bid and the start of the season rolls around?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Those final 4 you list, I think you’re basing this on club size and reputation.  Norwich are in the free transfer market, West Brom haven’t recruited anyone (yet), Watford free transfers (£50k for Ince).  As for Leeds, thoughts of their Director of Football having a £100m from player sales to reinvest, have been dashed as they have moved on loan, not for fees.  There are some serious it worried fans.

You maybe right about Leicester and Southampton, but still got several players who might get picked off by PL teams.

I mean, all of these teams have better players than us but yea, the stability and the morale can be more important than quality over the course of the season.

Luton made it with standard players, so... everything is possible. 

On 22/07/2023 at 23:20, Mr Popodopolous said:

Excellent by the admin on Bristol City Twitter given all the speculation.

Yes he may well still go but we're handling this impeccably as a club. Major xredit to Scott too so far, some players throw their toys out when there's speculation linking with higher paying or PL clubs.

Gotta be worth a couple more million to the price

?

10 hours ago, BLRed said:

Brighton being notoriously shrewd with their signings, I can't imagine that they'd just throw an extra £5m willy nilly, although it would be very nice.

I feel like I've seen a lot of City fans recently that are berating Wolves for not paying the £25m straight up and trying to get Scott 'on the cheap', forgetting that negotiations in football take ages and never ever get accepted at the first bid.

12 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Nah, I mean if the deal was in principle agreed then yeah, he wouldn't have played but if both clubs are close to an agreement but still not fully agreed then he's going to play as the move could be called off and then we send Scott into the next season playing without match fitness. There very much could be a deal in place, even in principal an agreement but without anything formal in place he's going to keep playing. When he doesn't play a game in which he normally would, that's when we have a deal in principle and some kind of formal, unannounced deal confirmed.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think the Motaeb situation was slightly different.

IIRC a deal had been agreed and the player had met with GJ and terms finalised, but he asked to go back to Egypt in order to "say his goodbyes", only for the club to learn that his goodbyes involved playing for his Egyptian club in a competitive match.

If we had accepted £25m from Wolves ( or anyone else) and Alex had agreed personal terms and that he would move, then there is no way we would risk playing him in a friendly, let alone a local derby ( for young fans who don;t know what that is, it's that's a competitive match against Rovers!). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• Admin

Monday Morning Thought:

A lot of chat about not wanting this to drag on to the final week of the season but what if it does and we transfer our pre-season form into the League and sit there with wins over Preston & Brum at home and 4 points from the games at Millwall & Hull? Could Alex himself think “this could be worth a gamble”?

• Hmmm 1

6 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Monday Morning Thought:

A lot of chat about not wanting this to drag on to the final week of the season but what if it does and we transfer our pre-season form into the League and sit there with wins over Preston & Brum at home and 4 points from the games at Millwall & Hull? Could Alex himself think “this could be worth a gamble”?

£2,500 per week and championship football, or £30/40/50k per week in the premier league and being financially secure for the rest of your life, is one heck of a gamble for a 19 year old!

Would any of us take it?

• Like 7
  • Hmmm 1