IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

8 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

West Ham have given Southampton 24 hours to respond to their latest 30 million pound final offer for Ward-Prowse which is expected to be rejected. 

I might be putting 2+2 together and getting 5 but maybe they are aware that Bournemouth are close and may move for Scott if JWP is a no go? Hence them giving Southampton a deadline.

West Ham had their chance and Moyes blew it. Moyes is a serial ditherer in the transfer market, he's not that clever. 

Edited by Sir Geoff
  • Flames 1

37 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Over 236,000 followers on Twitter, so not some random loser.

Someone on here put a laughing emoji in response to me saying yesterday that I think it will happen, we’ll see who was right over the next few weeks, eh?

Yeah very reliable on twitter, followed by a lot of other big accounts as well.

26 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

IMG_1079.jpeg

John Percy is very reliable. And same story as yesterday with Peter O'Rourke from (much less reliable) Football Insider. Looks like its happening. But, deep down, we all always knew it was.

Good move if it goes through - I'm not on board with the 'can do so much better' chat. New manager is supposed to be very attacking. And to commit this much, manager surely fully on board with signing so Alex will get starts. Rest is down to him. 

Just now, KegCity said:

Quite happy with 25 million, just hope we bring in another midfielder otherwise I think we're lacking some depth.

Don't think that will be the priority. Pearson was talking about lacking experience at CB and Goalkeeper on RB the other night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Well, if the fee I heard on Monday is correct, then a lot of people (particularly @W-S-M Seagull) are going to be disappointed. Still a sizeable amount in add-ons to get to the £25m figure. However, the source is pretty damn good, to say the least. 

There’s going to be a couple of very disappointed people sitting at the table.

16 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

West Ham have given Southampton 24 hours to respond to their latest 30 million pound final offer for Ward-Prowse which is expected to be rejected. 

I might be putting 2+2 together and getting 5 but maybe they are aware that Bournemouth are close and may move for Scott if JWP is a no go? Hence them giving Southampton a deadline.

While Moyes there, I doubt it. Lots of stories coming out of WH about the profile of player moyes wants being very different to what the technical director wants. And Alex feels like a technical director pick (Ward-Prowse very much the type of player Moyes wants). 

If he went somewhere where manager wasn't fully on board with signing, that would be worst possible move. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Well, if the fee I heard on Monday is correct, then a lot of people (particularly @W-S-M Seagull) are going to be disappointed. Still a sizeable amount in add-ons to get to the £25m figure. However, the source is pretty damn good, to say the least. 

How much are we talking up front (not add ons)?

1 minute ago, KegCity said:

Quite happy with 25 million, just hope we bring in another midfielder otherwise I think we're lacking some depth.

Not convinced we will. Pearson mentioned we’re looking to get 1 more in but that will most likely be at GK or CB to cover for Kalas leaving & Atkinson’s injury.

Feel like we’ll go with what we have got until Jan at least. Scott will leave a big gap in our side of course. Wonder if Mehmeti could be converted into a 10 with James & Knight behind him. Otherwise can see Knight playing as the advanced midfielder with James and Williams/Naismith behind. 

Just now, Kingswoodactor said:

Anyone able to copy/paste the full article. Bloody paywalls!

Bournemouth hijack Wolves move for Alex Scott with £25m bid for Bristol City midfielder

Wolves head coach Julen Lopetegui to suffer further frustration at missing out on his No 1 target, the ‘Guernsey Grealish’

ByJohn Percy and Mike McGrath2 August 2023 • 10:39am

Alex Scott takes on Riyad Mahrez - Bournemouth hijack Wolves move for Alex Scott with £25m bid for Bristol City midfielder Alex Scott earned praise from Pep Guardiola and Jack Grealish following his performance in the FA Cup tie with Manchester City in February CREDIT: Action Images via Reuters/Paul Childs

Bournemouth are in advanced talks with Bristol City over a £25 million deal for Alex Scott, in a move which will further frustrate Wolves head coach Julen Lopetegui.

Scott is understood to be closing in on a move to Bournemouth, with the two clubs nearing an agreement on a deal to take the midfielder to the Premier League.

Championship club Bristol City have turned down two offers from Wolves this summer and have stuck rigidly to their stance that the fee is £25 million.

Bournemouth are now moving to complete a deal, with Lopetegui set to miss out on his No 1 transfer target as Wolves struggle to comply with financial regulations.

Scott, 19, is known as the ‘Guernsey Grealish’ and has two years left on his contract at his current club, who are managed by Nigel Pearson.

He earned the praise of Manchester City’s Pep Guardiola and £100 million forward Jack Grealish after the FA Cup tie between the two clubs in February this year.

Earlier this week Pearson insisted that the club’s valuation would have to be met if the teenager was to leave.

He said: “I don’t know how many bids there have been, as far as I’m concerned we’ve made our stance quite clear as a football club and that is for somebody to gain the opportunity to talk to him we’re talking about £25 million.

“We don’t want to sell him, that’s why we’re pricing him the way that we are, and actually having seen him since the start of pre-season we should be asking £30 million for him, never mind £25 million.

“The bottom line is we as a club have said ‘he’s going to cost £25 million as a starting point’ and if something happens where he goes for less than that then I won’t be very happy, I can tell you that now.”

Bournemouth have been very active in this summer window and already signed Ivorian midfielder Hamed Traore, Milos Kerkez, Justin Kluivert, Romain Faivre and Ionut Radu.

Southamton let Caleta-Car leave

Croatia centre-back Duje Caleta-Car will undergo a medical at Lyon on Wednesday after Southampton agreed a deal for him to return to French football.

Caleta-Car, 26, was among the players considered likely to depart St Mary’s this summer following relegation from the Premier League, with Mohammed Salisu, Mislav Orsic and Ibrahima Diallo also leaving.

Lyon are familiar with Caleta-Car from his four years at Marseille before he moved to England. They have agreed a deal of €5 million (£4.29 million) for him to play under Laurent Blanc next season.

Prior to his first spell in Ligue 1 he was at Red Bull Salzburg where he had earned a place in the Croatia squad that reached the World Cup final in 2018. At Marseille he had interest from West Ham. Liverpool also approached Marseille in the January 2021 window but the French club did not have time to find a replacement.

Southampton captain James Ward-Prowse has been subject of an approach from West Ham in the last week but no agreement has been made between the clubs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

West Ham had their chance and Moyes blew it. Moyes is a serial ditherer in the transfer market, he's not that clever. 

What we know is that West Ham have sent Newman down here plenty of times to watch Scott. 

There appears to be a powe battle at the moment at West Ham between the new technical director and the existing team. I heard yesterday that it's likely their née technical director may be leaving because it's just not working out.

Moyes and Newman have their transfer targets and Tim Steidten has his targets. Steidten wants to focus on the European markets where as Moyes wants to focus on English players. The fact West Ham have bid for JWP is an indication that Moyes may have won that power battle. 

What I'm suggesting is that Scott may be next on the list below JWP and with the possibility of Bournemouth signing Scott they may want a definite outcome on JWP so they can make a move for Scott if they are unable to secure JWP. 

On 08/07/2023 at 10:37, JoeAman08 said:

I'm really relaxed about this (possibly as I've been convinced he'll go all summer). On balance, I think better to go before the season starts; imagine how we'd feel if he's MOM 1st 3 games & then he goes.

For all the stuff Nige has said in the media I suspect he's relaxed too, as he knows it's inevitable.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Nigel Pearson in particular will be very disappointed considering he said two days ago "I won't be happy if it's under 25 million"

We've previously rejected a 22 million offer from Wolves so Bournemouths bid must be higher than that which doesn't leave much room for your suggested sizable add ons to take it to the 25 million figure. 

Think you're just trying to double down. Let it go mate.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Don't think that will be the priority. Pearson was talking about lacking experience at CB and Goalkeeper on RB the other night.

6 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Not convinced we will. Pearson mentioned we’re looking to get 1 more in but that will most likely be at GK or CB to cover for Kalas leaving & Atkinson’s injury.

Feel like we’ll go with what we have got until Jan at least. Scott will leave a big gap in our side of course. Wonder if Mehmeti could be converted into a 10 with James & Knight behind him. Otherwise can see Knight playing as the advanced midfielder with James and Williams/Naismith behind. 

Surely we will? Lacking numbers in centre mid and the numbers we have got aren't the most reliable. We need 30+ games from James and Williams each, that's assuming Naismith is playing in midfield. All it takes is Williams' hamstring to go again and we're seeing Andy King play every week.

6 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Moyes knows he can't have another poor season in the League so it seems like he wants a particular type of signing to replace Rice - 1) experienced, 2) British, or at least with PL experience. I can understand why he doesn't want to risk his job by signing - 1) flaky foreigners who've never played in England, 2) teenagers who've never played in the PL. 

But his position has been weakened by all the money he and Biff wasted last summer and also the appointment of a Technical Director with completely different ideas about recruitment. 

When you also factor in the owner's ego, who insists he handles transfer negotiations - imagine Steve Lansdown doing that! - you have a recipe for disaster.

I wish Moyesie and Biff all the best but West Ham's transfer business has been a shambles so far. Oh dear. What a shame. Never mind.     

• Flames 1

14 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

20 guaranteed + 5.5 in add-ons? Suppose its how much of the addons are easily hit I.e. 20 games equals 2.5m etc?

The big factor is the sell on clause for me, if we've compromised on the fee but get 20% of future fee then it would work out better in the long run

2 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Surely we will? Lacking numbers in centre mid and the numbers we have got aren't the most reliable. We need 30+ games from James and Williams each, that's assuming Naismith is playing in midfield. All it takes is Williams' hamstring to go again and we're seeing Andy King play every week.

Yeah, agree we will bring in a Scott replacement. And given the inevitability of this move, you'd think we would have it lined up and can move very fast. 

3 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Nigel Pearson in particular will be very disappointed considering he said two days ago "I won't be happy if it's under 25 million"

We've previously rejected a 22 million offer from Wolves so Bournemouths bid must be higher than that which doesn't leave much room for your suggested sizable add ons to take it to the 25 million figure. 

Think you're just trying to double down. Let it go mate.

It’s all part of negotiating. Pearson will have been in the loop and will know what the club were willing to accept. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, the1stknowle said:

While Moyes there, I doubt it. Lots of stories coming out of WH about the profile of player moyes wants being very different to what the technical director wants. And Alex feels like a technical director pick (Ward-Prowse very much the type of player Moyes wants). 

If he went somewhere where manager wasn't fully on board with signing, that would be worst possible move. 

But Newman has been down Ashton Gate plenty of times to watch Scott as verified by Owers. 

Newman is very much on the side of Moyes so therefore Scott would be one of their targets rather than the new guys.

2 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

20 guaranteed + 5.5 in add-ons? Suppose its how much of the addons are easily hit I.e. 20 games equals 2.5m etc?

The big factor is the sell on clause for me, if we've compromised on the fee but get 20% of future fee then it would work out better in the long run

Why would we accept a worse deal from Bournemouth? 

Screenshot_20230802_113124.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

But Newman has been down Ashton Gate plenty of times to watch Scott as verified by Owers. 

Newman is very much on the side of Moyes so therefore Scott would be one of their targets rather than the new guys.

Newman is down the gate a lot for a variety of reasons. Scott and Semenyo were both on their radar since January. If they won't pay over 30 for JWP, who has bags of Premier League experience I'd be very surprised if they pay similar for a player who doesn't.

West Ham's priority will be players to keep them in the Premier League over potential.

6 minutes ago, KegCity said:

While i agree I'd like to see another midfielder sign if Scott departs. McCrorie has been mooted to easily slot in to midfield. Nige has recently mentioned Roberts can too. And lets not forget Benarous is on the way back and was exceptional before his injury. Don't think we'll be seeing any more than a GK and perhaps CB.