IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

3 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

One report I saw, today, from some guy called Ekrem Konur who I've never heard of, has suggested the Bournemouth offer is €30M. Don't think I believe it but if true at current exchange rate that's around £25.75M which would seem to meet our valuation. Structure of any deal could still kill it of course. 

I saw that somewhere as well.

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

But Bournemouth will? 

JWP isn't a direct replacement for Rice in my opinion.

Well obviously they will if they’re actually bidding for him whilst West Ham are penny pinching over a quality player who’s done it in the Premier League for years.

Each to their own. I don’t see how he isn’t.

4 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Why, he's a manager, he knows the financial situation,

He know his budget

He knows Scott would leave once a suitable bid had been received 

He'd know how much that price would be and he knows how much of that he would be likely to spend

I'm really doubtful he'd be disgruntled,

Disappointed at losing a good player yes, disgruntled doubtful

We will meet irrespective of FFP the £39m loss to this season IMO. Caveat, my workings are subject to revision once last season's accounts are out.

Disgruntled if sold when the £25m isn't met. It could have been performative of course on Sound Of the City.

4 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

No we aren't,

King

James

Knight

Naismith when fit

Benarous

Williams

That's 6 players playing for 2 maybe 3 places

You've also got other players who are perfectly capable there

KIng - going to be a top quality coach and is terrific with the younger players but no longer a player who will get us into the top 6

James - of an age where going through a season playing twice a week isn't realistic

Knight - great acquisition and a regular starter

Naismith when fit -  says it all 

Benaurous - he has to be very carefully nurtured back for his won benefit.  He's got flair, potential and could be another star for us but just got to be careful this season

Williams - not a two games a week player but useful part of the squad with a lively personality and good performer on his day

So I'd suggest the acquisition of one more player. Won't be many Scott's hidden away but I'd like to see City take a chance on a young flair player.  We've been smart both in the transfer market with recruiting young players and developing our own academy players (big plaudits to both Tinnion and Pearson for that) and I have confidence they might pick up another gem with just a bit of the money coming from Alex Scott's inevitable move. For sure the Club will have targets lined up.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Newman is down the gate a lot for a variety of reasons. Scott and Semenyo were both on their radar since January. If they won't pay over 30 for JWP, who has bags of Premier League experience I'd be very surprised if they pay similar for a player who doesn't.

West Ham's priority will be players to keep them in the Premier League over potential.

One factor is JWP’s wages too.  What’s he gonna want…£100-150k p.w???

Scott would be much lower.

28 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

With JWP his value is limited due to the fact West Ham will be unlikely to make any money from him in the future due to his age. 

We all know Scott has incredible potential and therefore the possibility of making huge amounts of money off of him in the future, hence why he's going for 25 million.

And this is another factor.

Rarely can you compare two transfers, side by side.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Leister seems reasonably credible, others I have no clue.

Screenshot_20230802-121409_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1ef455fe6eca05e103328637a02c8305.jpg

It still feels like he’s fabricated it a bit though, to make it seem plausible.

1 minute ago, bcfcnick said:

KIng - going to be a top quality coach and is terrific with the younger players but no longer a player who will get us into the top 6

James - of an age where going through a season playing twice a week isn't realistic

Benaurous - he has to be very carefully nurtured back for his won benefit.  He's got flair, potential and could be another star for us but just got to be careful this season

Williams - not a two games a week player but useful part of the squad with a lively personality and good performer on his day

So I'd suggest the acquisition of one more player. Won't be many Scott's hidden away but I'd like to see City take a chance on a young flair player.  We've been smart both in the transfer market with recruiting young players and developing our own academy players (big plaudits to both Tinnion and Pearson for that) and I have confidence they might pick up another gem with just a bit of the money coming from Alex Scott's inevitable move. For sure the Club will have targets lined up.

Taylor Clarke

Weimann

1 minute ago, bcfcnick said:

Yeah, Knight will be great for our engine, but doesn't have the magic. 

Benarous has the potential for magic, but we still don't know if he's up to the challenge of Championship football currently.

Would love for Ayman just to slot in and be the next midfield starlet, but that's asking a lot!

3 minutes ago, Hocca said:

Completely different role in a different formation , he’s not the man to pick up spaces in the pockets and get his head up quickly and make the right passes. I like Weimann just not in this particular role in a 433. His strengths are in behind the defence imo.

Agree it was a different role but the formation was exactly the same, 3 in midfield with Weimann the furthest forward sometimes operating as a second striker and sometimes dropping deeper.

We need to be sensible, we aren't going to find anybody like Alex Scott, so we need to look at what we currently have available to us and adapt how we play. With any two from James, King, Williams, Knight and Naismith holding we can win the ball and get it forward quickly to our 'front 4'. 

So I don't think we will even try replacing Scott, I do think we will shift and adjust how we play and if that means we go back to utilising Weimann in that role again then I'm all for it. We have the pace in wide areas and the finishers up front so don't think we need a 'creative 10' and think the way Weimann is able to play that role, arrive late into the box and find space to score will be a much more effective output then trying to find Alex Scott 2.0

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

If Scott goes, we need one more IMO in midfield. King is coming towards the end, Williams had fitness issues but these are hopefully passing now, Naismith had great availability at Luton in 2021-22, here not so much. Weimann I really like but surely best along the front although under Holden for a time he was quite impressive in midfield.

Knight and James obviously but Scott is a big hole to fill.

Taylor-Clarke still on the fringes a bit, Benarous has had over a year out injured and who knows how quickly and what levels he'll hit when he returns. McCrorie not predominantly a midfielder anyway seems to not have been available much to date.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

It's interesting how the Scott deal affects other players in the squad.

If he goes, players like Benarous and Weimann could see a lot more gametime which is important for their careers for different reasons.

It also enables us to reenter the transfer market and maybe decide to buy a keeper when otherwise we wouldn't. That could be a sliding door moment for Wiles-Richards who currently could be in the mix (ie one injury away from Championship action).

Vyner is a rock solid starter at the moment, but one impressive centre back signing could change that.

Permutations!

15 minutes ago, !james said:

How much are we talking up front (not add ons)?

What do you mean by "up front"?

The money we get right now? Or the money we get now and also the guaranteed sum we get next summer or a number of summers after that? 

I'm going to guess at somewhere around 15M right now plus a further 5M spread over a number of summers to come. The remaining 5M to be made up of potential add-ons - so specific sums that could be paid on completion of a certain number of PL games, on winning international caps etc etc

I don't doubt both Wolves and Bournemouth can find 25M for the player. The negotiations have always been about how the payments of that fee are structured.

For our own FFP purposes, we have a plan of how much we want 1) right now, 2) over the next summer or two, and 3) by way of potential add-ons.

And Wolves don't have the wriggle room to 1) pay as much as we want right now, and 2) want to pay the future guaranteed sums over a longer period than we want.  For arguments sake, they can probably lay their hands on, say, 10M now and another 10M paid in small amounts over several years.

Our FFP plan going forward is based on receiving a bigger sum right now and the remaining guaranteed amounts (excluding the add-ons) over a shorter time period.

It seems Bournemouth have now dragged themselves into a position where they can meet our payment plan.   

28 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

When Nige said we were potentially signing one more I assumed he meant GK or CB which still could be the case but perhaps we're getting in a replacement for Alex as we speak. I wouldn't be surprised as we've been on the ball with replacements so far.

Take what Nige says to the media with a pinch of salt.

He previously stated that we wouldn’t be making million pound signings, and then McCrorie and Knight walk in through the door. 

His ‘sound of the city’ interview was very much aimed towards making a statement to clubs interested in Scott.

He also can’t publicly state “we will have money to spend” because selling clubs will raise their price for any players we may wish to sign.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I'm going to guess at somewhere around 15M right now plus a further 5M spread over a number of summers to come. The remaining 5M to be made up of potential add-ons - so specific sums that could be paid on completion of a certain number of PL games, on winning international caps etc etc

Decent guess...

1 minute ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Take what Nige says to the media with a pinch of salt.

He previously stated that we wouldn’t be making million pound signings, and then McCrorie and Knight walk in through the door. 

His ‘sound of the city’ interview was very much aimed towards making a statement to clubs interested in Scott.

He also can’t publicly state “we will have money to spend” because selling clubs will raise their price for any players we may wish to sign.

Exactly this. It's still amazing how many times it needs pointing out.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

But Newman has been down Ashton Gate plenty of times to watch Scott as verified by Owers. 

Newman is very much on the side of Moyes so therefore Scott would be one of their targets rather than the new guys.

Not sure of the point here. If Newman is a proxy for Moyes and has scouted Alex extensively and they still haven't bid, does that not say that Moyes isn't into him??? They are not short of money. They are short of midfielders. They have bid for Zakaria and JWP and Paulinha. Because that is the kind of midfielder profile Moyes wants. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Possibly. A package of £25m can mean many things so I've an open mind on that claim.

For us, West Ham would be the best outcome. They've got the hard cash. 

Also we can add on adds on about Europa league. Him playing in the Europa league will likely accelerate his introduction into the England team which we can also get add ons from. 

Maybe a bit of snobbery here but I see it as more likely that a top 4 club would buy from West Ham rather than Bournemouth. 

Just now, hinsleburg said:

Wouldn't be surprised if this has come from us to encourage any late comers to the party!

The deal probably is close with Bournemouth but making it clear that the door is still open for anybody else for now

Yep - I like James Piercy. He actually does some homework and can write. But I'd trust John Percy's sources over his. Let's see.

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

For us, West Ham would be the best outcome. They've got the hard cash. 

Also we can add on adds on about Europa league. Him playing in the Europa league will likely accelerate his introduction into the England team which we can also get add ons from. 

Maybe a bit of snobbery here but I see it as more likely that a top 4 club would buy from West Ham rather than Bournemouth. 

Who knows where West Ham are at, if they are even still in for him or what- I can't disagree with much of what you write however. West Ham and their approach seems..scattergun to say the least. They need 2, maybe 3 midfielders IMO. (Rice and his impact plus Lanzini departed).

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

37 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

No we aren't,

King - Old boy now. Wouldn’t expect to play more than 10

James - suffers with injuries

Knight

Naismith when fit - suffers with injuries

Benarous - who knows how he will go

Williams - seems to got over his injuries, but still needs looking after

That's 6 players playing for 2 maybe 3 places

You've also got other players who are perfectly capable there

Yes, we really are. If we go into the season with that, we are light. If we were to get another young to middle aged midfielder in this summer, we will also make next summers recruitment a hell of a lot easier. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hinsleburg said:

Wouldn't be surprised if this has come from us to encourage any late comers to the party!

The deal probably is close with Bournemouth but making it clear that the door is still open for anybody else for now

That's exactly why it's been leaked. 

Alex will happily go to Bournemouth, but I don't think it would be his preferred destination. 

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

Ross McCrorie as well.