IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

Alex is our player until he's sold and as such, if fit, he should be in our team. 

Suppose we leave him out and the transfer falls through, it means we've left him out for no reason. 

Either sign him or piss off. You've all had plenty of time.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Notbarrymanc said:

If you’re struggling with the loss of one of our best ever players, you could try changing what you call him. I find that if I call him Axel Scott he becomes much less impressive. Now he’s just a bloke who runs around a lot and has a shit name. £25m? I’ll drive him to Bournemouth. 

We'll never forget you Andy

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

9 minutes ago, marmite said:

Alex is our player until he's sold and as such, if fit, he should be in our team. 

Suppose we leave him out and the transfer falls through, it means we've left him out for no reason. 

I think it depends what stage negotiations are at. If its looking likely, then he can't play; the risk of him getting severely crocked so we can neither sell him nor play him is too great.

Maybe they feel Scott’s mindset needs to be fully focused for the team’s benefit too, Nige said he’s done well for someone so young ‘on the whole’ or words to that extent, but it’s gonna be a distraction for all parties whilst there’s rumours. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, frenchred said:

There is if he's gonna play centre half!

Why?

I guess because of the errors he made early season?  Yes?

Fair, but also whilst he was trying to lead his fellow CBs through games.  Lots of circumstances at play, not forgetting all the positives he brought to the game too.

The last three games of the season, he played CB in a back 4, and was pretty good, alongside a confident Vyner.

Don’t get me wrong, he won’t be ready to start tomorrow, there’s a pretty low probability he even makes the bench.  But I’d be more than happy seeing a fit KN at LCB2.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Why?

I guess because of the errors he made early season?  Yes?

Fair, but also whilst he was trying to lead his fellow CBs through games.  Lots of circumstances at play, not forgetting all the positives he brought to the game too.

The last three games of the season, he played CB in a back 4, and was pretty good, alongside a confident Vyner.

Don’t get me wrong, he won’t be ready to start tomorrow, there’s a pretty low probability he even makes the bench.  But I’d be more than happy seeing a fit KN at LCB2.

Keep seeing we are a potentially a CB short with Kallas and injuries from others and you rightly point out the flexibility we do have.

Maybe? I know compared to most clubs we are very rare users of the system, but if that is Pearson's judgement too, then does it not lend itself to a 6 month loan to come in rather than a perm?

3 minutes ago, Pickle Rick said:

If sold, then he will go for our valuation, no doubt.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see four new players in.

GK, CB, CM/CAM and a striker/forward.

Some additional depth would be great for us and help us through the season with busy periods and injuries ?

Unsure of the pressing need for another striker but I agree with the wider post. First 3 positions certainly.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pickle Rick said:

Some additional depth would be great for us and help us through the season with busy periods and injuries ?

We won't be spending the money. Wage budget maxed out. Apart from what Scott is on, I suppose.

• Admin
17 minutes ago, Pickle Rick said:

It's been repeated over and over again that any money made WILL NOT be reinvested in new players

I am amazed so many people continue to not understand this

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I shouldn't have thought so, as his contract expired in June and his one month's 'severance pay' would presumably have been paid this Monday latest.

I wasn’t sure if they were in Nigel’s calculations as he didn’t want to completely dismiss him coming back. Which I found strange as he hadn’t spoke to him. 

13 hours ago, Psychopomp said:

It is inevitable that a player will be sold if you put a price on their transfer.

Making that number high, just makes it easier to explain to the fans. The continued elephant in the room is that we are still paying for the failed excesses and ineptitude of previous spending and misguidance. (The whole club was implicit in the self-imposed cluster F)

We had no choice but to sell Semenyo, for FFP reasons, due to the previous issues. Now? Well if there was one time you need to invest in your talent retention, it is today. After 4 years of woe, ranging from abject failure to survival, and finally through some shoots of recovery, we find ourselves with a coherent squad, fit, with pace, some skill, and with a few players who clearly have a higher ceiling than mid-table in the Championship. But, and it is huge but, if you have desires to get to the Prem, in the vast majority of cases, you need a sprinkling of players who are above the normal level. it is why the parachute payment clubs can prevail because they can afford to pay (say Mitovic when he was on £100k/week) or loan ( McAtee and Tella ). So a day or two before our season starts, our star player is subject to a transfer bid. Few believe he is injured, with reason. That looks like a smokescreen. 

So, let us assume on Sunday, we no longer have Scott. The club have £25m in the bank, and we can stem our losses, and make the club less financially onerous. We already know we will not be signing other players, and that the money has already been spent. That is the harsh reality for a club that has a turnover that does not come close to covering the running costs or wage bills. It is harsh too. Because a squad with Scott in, well you could dream of a promotion push, without him, well you fall into the pack again, with another 10 teams. That does not mean you cannot make the top 6, far from it, but anyone who thinks you can remove a £25m improving talent like Scott and have the same season in the Championship is being superficial. He is £25m for a reason. Those players make the difference. We hear all the time of fine margins. Well, where do they come from? Players like Scott. 

This was a time to show some ambition. Scott should not be going anywhere until earliest January. Then you can decide if the club have a chance to compete for promotion. Yes, the player has a view, but you are also allowed to make decisions for the club's benefit. 3 months will change nothing on his ultimate career path for a (soon-to-be) 20-year-old. 

Some will point to the money, and suggest it enables the club to evolve and progress. That can be true. But unlike Brighton and Brentford, we have not planned or signed the replacements. Semenyo sold, no replacement either at the club or incoming. The same is true with Scott. At those 2 clubs, that does not happen. It is a substantial difference. Maybe we can use some of the transfer fees from Scott, not for players, but to hire people from the recruitment team at Brighton or Brentford. 

Of course, the price of failure is that you are vulnerable to losing better players, that is how it works in football. But sometimes you need to look at the interests of the club. Alex Scott is going to be a multi-millionaire because of BCFC, this summer, or next summer. 

To continue to lose the best BCFC talent to Bournemouth(it seems) should make everyone who has made the big decisions at BCFC ashamed. Bournemouth. It is the ultimate public demonstration of gross incompetence and mismanagement. It is humiliating. It is also another in a long line of stupid decisions made by the club. Yes sell him, but absolutely not now. You cannot talk of promotion and keep repeating the same cycle. We would be rubbish at poker (Kenny Rodgers if you must).

Sorry, but it is hard to be sanguine about losing our best player a day before we start a new season. 

Good luck to Alex, the best youngster we have had in 40 years, maybe more, with wonderful attitude, skill and application. It has been magical watching him develop and grow. 

We move on though with BCFC it has always seemed like a three-legged race, with the two runners tied left leg to left leg and pointing in opposite directions. 

Then again, the club might have showed "ambition" by holding on the Scott.

However, if we then failed to gain promotion this season and 18 months down the road ended up selling him for £5, to avoid him running down his contract and leaving for nothing, the same fans would then accuse the club of gross mismanagement for not having  sold him at peak value of £25m!

• Like 2

• Admin
4 minutes ago, Jose said:

I wasn’t sure if they were in Nigel’s calculations as he didn’t want to completely dismiss him coming back. Which I found strange as he hadn’t spoke to him. 

Are you Joking, NP clearly said Kalas HAS GONE

31 minutes ago, Jose said:

Isn’t Kallas wage still on the table too?!

Assume you noticed that we have added players to our squad over the summer?

Just now, phantom said:

Are you Joking, NP clearly said Kalas HAS GONE

Assume you noticed that we have added players to our squad over the summer?

Alright calm down I must of missed that. The problem with browsing when I should be working.

I hadn’t noticed we added any players. Completely missed that……..Morinic thing to say.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

3 minutes ago, Jose said:

Alright calm down I must of missed that. The problem with browsing when I should be working.

I hadn’t noticed we added any players. Completely missed that……..Morinic thing to say.

I’m with you Jose, as much as Kalas clearly isn’t joining, the wage we offered him will still be available to use for someone else, and if Scott leaves, his wage will be added to the mix as well. Nigel is being coy as you’d expect, I’m pretty confident if the right centre back becomes available we’ll make a move. Fingers crossed anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, KnowleUtd City said:

I’m with you Jose, as much as Kalas clearly isn’t joining, the wage we offered him will still be available to use for someone else, and if Scott leaves, his wage will be added to the mix as well. Nigel is being coy as you’d expect, I’m pretty confident if the right centre back becomes available we’ll make a move. Fingers crossed anyway. 

I mean you explained better than I did but I thought it made sense. Not to @phantom it seems. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TDarwall said:

I think it depends what stage negotiations are at. If its looking likely, then he can't play; the risk of him getting severely crocked so we can neither sell him nor play him is too great.

Appreciate that but just supposing, hypothetically, that it was Preston who were bidding? Would we keep him out against them?