IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

3 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Selling Scott ? The final decision is with SL . No one wants him to go , but with Alex having two years left it was maximum sell value . You also have to think of the player. He might have wanted to go . 

Ultimately the the final decision will be Scotts. Maybe he has pushed for the move behind the scenes and SLs hand has been forced a little? Maybe that's why Pearson looks a bit pissed. Who knows. 

Just now, NcnsBcfc said:

Max wasn't great again tonight was he?

Came and then went back and got his positioning wrong for their equaliser. 

Then in the second half kicked the ball directly to their player who played it to an Oxford player who had an abysmal effort.

Signs for me in last 2 games, that there's been no improvement since last season.

The Alex Scott thread may not be the place for my thoughts on Max. But I think distribution wise he’s well below par, decision making he’s well below par and I don’t see any more than a good shot stopper. He’s not championship standard and the fact we have no decent competition is criminal.

• Like 16
  • Hmmm 1

Ultimately this is what failure on the pitch looks like. It isn’t missing out on away trips to Anfield, or features on Match if the Day, or not signing players for £25m, it’s constantly- season after season- losing you’re best players to small, crap outfits like Bournemouth, Brighton and Brentford. And being able to raid good clubs like Derby for their best players isn’t a consolation for me. Nor is knowing that City will likely be a strong Championship club decades after the likes of Bournemouth have been bulldozed for a new John Lewis. It just sucks, because losing a good player is so much worse than losing repeatedly, as the dream just fades.

Edited by Bedred31
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Robin 1

2 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Then in the second half kicked the ball directly to their player who played it to an Oxford player who had an abysmal effort.

Signs for me in last 2 games, that there's been no improvement since last season.

I hate to say it, but I REALLY don't rate Max. I feel awful saying it. What I wouldn't give to have Kaspar Schmeichel! Quality keeper and leader. I know it's dreamland, but hey. 

22 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’m confident, despite any media noises, we have a plan B and Nige is in on it. Did he want to keep Alex? Course, we all did. But he also wanted to keep Antoine in January, and within hours of him leaving we had Anis and Harry in the door. If you work on the basis this has been afoot since Percy mooted it last week, wheels will have been in motion. I would not be shocked if plan B arrives in the next week.

And it had better include a goalkeeper 

Yes, no one at the club is going to say "we're going to blow it all on 4 or 5 players", that would just alert clubs to hike up the price, but I (like your self ) think we'll have a couple in by the end of the window, if not sooner .

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

More concerned if there’s been yet another situation where the manager has been hung out to dry (think Cotterill in 2015) once again than Scott leaving. He was obviously going this summer, but if this causes issues with Pearson through negligence then that’s a worry.

Agreed. 2015 was a bit different IMO but agreed.

Yes NP has to be backed now, and backed within sensible but ambitious limits. He in conjunction with Gould did excellent things, they more than earned the right- kept us afloat, cut costs, taken it all on the chin- he must now be backed as far as we can within sensible limits.

• Like 1

• Admin

I wouldn’t be surprised if Pearson isn’t handed any funds from the sale. I’m not so sure the Lansdowns are as big fans of him as many of the fans are and a season in lower mid-table would justify not offering him a new contract.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

6 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Absolute bollocks, their equaliser was a defensive error and a good header nothing to do with max’s positioning and the kick to their player was the pass back to him, it was awful he had no chance to put his foot through it.

59 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Football aside, the Bournemouth area has to be a bit nicer for AS to live in than Wolverhampton. Just my opinion having been to both places.

About the ambition thing, it just comes down to maths and making gradual progress.

We will judge this better at the end of the season.

I’ve never been to Bournemouth but I can confirm you’re 100% correct. 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, italian dave said:

We neither of us know what goes on behind the scenes, but I’d wager money on the fact that LJ didn’t agree to whatever ‘strategy’ resulted in those sales. 

He bought into the fact that we had to sell, of course, but not at all costs. We had no plan b in place for either of those departures and it cost us dear. 

If he seriously couldn't see the impact of the inflated wages and what that meant for liquidity and FFP - then that's his problem. He outed that he had sign off on transfers. More than once.

Comparatively, NP has multiple times quoted the proviso of bringing parity of wages across the squad and the way in which it eases squad and player management, and the financial implications.

Anyhow - I won't derail this thread getting back unto the LJ/ MA critiques. The benefit here is we have time to resolve. Let's hope Tinns et al have targets lined up, still time to get some business done.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

More concerned if there’s been yet another situation where the manager has been hung out to dry (think Cotterill in 2015) once again than Scott leaving. He was obviously going this summer, but if this causes issues with Pearson through negligence then that’s a worry.

He knew that Scott was likely to go and I'm sure he knows roughly what funds he'll have available already. He will already have plans in place with Tins that they'll be putting into action. Whether they come off will come down to the transfer window gods 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

I hate to say it, but I REALLY don't rate Max. I feel awful saying it. What I wouldn't give to have Kaspar Schmeichel! Quality keeper and leader. I know it's dreamland, but hey. 

He really isn’t good enough at commanding his box, he’s a decent player but he’s not going to get you top 6, thought he was very poor for their goal. We definitely need a better goalkeeper.  

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I said it wouldn't be £25m guaranteed. The price was always a deal of £25m and Scott was firmly up for sale. Since Jan.

It's a good deal for us. A very good deal. 

We need to strengthen though, if we have any aspirations of top half. 

Agreed - money we simply can’t turn down, sadly.

You reckon we will strengthen?

Another in the long line of Bristol City self-inflicted mess-ups. The owner spent over £100m trying to justify why he thought LJ was a talent. We now have a decent side where you need some magic to define your credentials for promotion, and yet he pulls in the funding. It is a classic BCFC self-imposed cluster duck. We move from promotion hopefuls to also-rans. It is an idiotic decision, in line with a 25-year run of other idiotic decisions. There are times when you need to hold back, and times when you need to hold firm or expand. In these areas, we have been found continually wanting. There is no understanding of timing. 

So you ask a manager to decimate the wage bill, not spend money, and develop youth, and the one thing he asks is to keep the special talent, so we can get promoted. But no, you cannot spend money and we will sell anyone decent. There is a good reason why BCFC has never threatened the Prem. We expect to now do it by not spending money and selling any decent talent. Oh, and if we sell anyone, we cannot spend the money. 

This was THE season to keep Alex Scott, at least until Jan. There is a good reason why 52 , maybe 53 other clubs have been to the Prem and BCFC not. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 3

28 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Good post, was saying to a mate earlier this reminds me of Cotts post opening day defeat to Sheff Wed and then Brentford with the whole Gayle and Gray saga. LJ was a yes person hence why he was liked. 

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I said it wouldn't be £25m guaranteed. The price was always a deal of £25m and Scott was firmly up for sale. Since Jan.

It's a good deal for us. A very good deal. 

We need to strengthen though, if we have any aspirations of top half. 

@W-S-M Seagull what was it to sit at the table again?

Muppet.

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1

Did I see somewhere (NP said it in an interview back along maybe) that even with the 20/25 million coming in we can’t go out and get who ever we want as we are near the wage limit… and can’t imagine AS was on too much wage wise 

something to that effect..  can’t quite remember the wording or what was exactly implied ?

Edited by Not Banksy

2 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Agreed - money we simply can’t turn down, sadly.

You reckon we will strengthen?

City HAVE to strengthen now. Scott gone, and Conway out for upwards of 3 months. Easily 2 of the most talented players at the club. I’m unsure of who there is out there but if there are no more incomings, it may be another mediocre season. 

5 minutes ago, Psychopomp said:

Another in the long line of Bristol City self-inflicted mess-ups. The owner spent over £100m trying to justify why he thought LJ was a talent. We now have a decent side where you need some magic to define your credentials for promotion, and yet he pulls in the funding. It is a classic BCFC self-imposed cluster duck. We move from promotion hopefuls to also-rans. It is an idiotic decision, in line with a 25-year run of other idiotic decisions. There are times when you need to hold back, and times when you need to hold firm or expand. In these areas, we have been found continually wanting. There is no understanding of timing. 

So you ask a manager to decimate the wage bill, not spend money, and develop youth, and the one thing he asks is to keep the special talent, so we can get promoted. But no, you cannot spend money and we will sell anyone decent. There is a good reason why BCFC has never threatened the Prem. We expect to now do it by not spending money and selling any decent talent. Oh, and if we sell anyone, we cannot spend the money. 

This was THE season to keep Alex Scott, at least until Jan. There is a good reason why 52 , maybe 53 other clubs have been to the Prem and BCFC not. 

Don't recall a similar post from you when LJ picked up a crocked Webster for a couple of mill on £12k pw and sold him to the Prem for over £20m?

Or Kelly for £14m plus add ons?

LJ sold his best players too.

Nige will get some cash now. Let's hope he recruits well eh. There doesn't seem to be a plan?

• Flames 2

49 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Fear, if he does go, we’ve little time now to negotiate the 3 players we need a quality keeper, midfielder and forward  - although a loan for the forward might give us a bit more elbow room time wise. If we don’t move in this window, we all know January isn’t a great time to do business. 

Apart from the Conway injury saga, at least we now know why Nige was in a mood earlier - although that may be ‘an act’ to prise as much as he can from Steve’s pockets to fund incoming transfers.

NP was so critical of using loans when it was brought up last season that it wouldn’t surprise me if he wouldn’t entertain a loan signing in virtually any circumstances. He put it as something like “no point investing time and effort in other clubs’ players”.

5 minutes ago, Not Banksy said:

Did I see somewhere (NP said it in an interview back along maybe) that even with the 20/25 million coming in we can’t go out and get who ever we want as we are near the wage limit… and can’t imagine AS was on too much wage wise 

something to that effect..  can’t quite remember the wording or what was exactly implied ?

I don’t get this wage bill limit rubbish, but then again I don’t run a football.

However, if £20/£25m doesn’t allow you to change that wage bill I would be amazed!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, petehinton said:

If the same people don’t let Pearson bring anyone new in that also signed off Marley Watkins and Engvall then we may as well pack up and go home.  

He’s waded us through a load of shite. We were virtually at rock bottom before he came in. Back him.  

Indeed. Time to back the manager now, he has earned that.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, petehinton said:

If the same people don’t let Pearson bring anyone new in that also signed off Marley Watkins and Engvall then we may as well pack up and go home.  

He’s waded us through a load of shite. We were virtually at rock bottom before he came in. Back him.  

Absolutely this.

Pearson. He has earned the right, he has more than earned the right.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Can't turn down £20/25 million unfortunately. He could get an career threatening injury in the next game and that would be that.

Just echoing others in that it's annoying that it's bleedin' Bournemouth (again)! For most of my life I've considered them on a level, at best, with the Gas for God's sake! It still seems more odd to me Bournemouth and Brentford being in the PL than Luton, who I've actually seen in a top flight game plus remembering David Pleat dancing on the pitch, winning League Cup etc.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, luke_bristol said:

NP was so critical of using loans when it was brought up last season that it wouldn’t surprise me if he wouldn’t entertain a loan signing in virtually any circumstances. He put it as something like “no point investing time and effort in other clubs’ players”.

Other clubs, who finished above us, seemed to utilise it OK last season. 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Don't recall a similar post from you when LJ picked up a crocked Webster for a couple of mill on £12k pw and sold him to the Prem for over £20m?

Or Kelly for £14m plus add ons?

LJ sold his best players too.

Nige will get some cash now. Let's hope he recruits well eh. There doesn't seem to be a plan?

Difference is LJ rarely made a good signing and spent the majority of what we brought in, hence the disaster of the past two years moving them out. 

Edited by Shauntaylor85