IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

We just got to get ready to accept that every academy  player who comes good will be sold if the price is right,did we keep scott into the season to sell a few thousand  extra tickets .Premiership is a dream  with a one off unbelievable  season like Luton did,Pearson or any other manager  we get got there hands tied.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, REDOXO said:

I think he did take the risk. He backed his boy LJ and Ashton with gob loads of money and they flushed it down the shitter. SL carry’s the can for that debacle. 

So now he has really turned his mind to finding a team through the academy. An option that has less effect on FFP and has wider benefits for the community. 

Pearson was constrained by spending but is building a team and allowing our kids to come through. We played a 17 year old last night just another off a production line of talent. 

I am optimistic We are going to be competitive in the top 10 this season !

I agree with the first line. I was really pointing out the position we are in now rather than past failures.

I agree with the second line. Finding a team, definitely. FFP, Absolutely. 

However, continually nurturing players via the academy to then sell them off once they are ready maybe very satisfying and commendable but where does it leave Bristol City FC as any thing other than also rans in the Championship? 

As I pointed out in previous posts, I think the Board see the goal and or objective of us being a sustainable club rather than anything else. I think the Board see us holding our own in and around 10th as their version of success. As a City fan of many a decade, I'm resigned or maybe a better word is at peace with this now. Just to be clear, I'd love for us to be regularly challenging for promotion in the Championship but it just isn't going to happen any time soon. Just my opinion.

Top 10 this season, would be a brilliant outcome and I really hope your optimistic prediction happens!! 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

I was more annoyed at the repeated atempt to play down the flanks, that just want working, I dont think we will see pring start on Saturday,

We've got a number of players returning ing from Injury soon so it's not all doom and gloom,

We aren't going to replace Scott, you can't replace that kind of talent 

Oh for sure, bit risky down the flanks vs a packed area IMO. Opens you up to quick breaks against, losing the ball cheaply.

Definitely not doom and gloom, I'm cautiously optimistic but some fine tuning needed perhaps. Which is fine- season has only just started!

5 hours ago, Supersonic Robin said:

And even if Bournemouth were to be relegated and Scott stayed there, that wouldn't mean he's back on par with us.

He'd be playing for a team who would be a favourite for automatic promotion, rather than us, a team who haven't really come close to a top 6 finish in a decade.

It would be like saying that Dewsbury-Hall is currently no better off at Leicester than he would be at Bristol City.

In the unlikely event of B'mouth being relegated.....it is 100% certain that Scott would move on............it is not even worthy of discussion

1 hour ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

The money from Scott will never guarantee that we don’t have to sell other players. Every player goes at the right price. What it does mean is the financial pressures (that often force sales) will not pressure us in the coming seasons. As I recall Brentford had a few big money exits as they built towards promotion. Other good young talent will undoubtedly move on in order to possibly achieve that. It’s not a fast build but if we stick to our new model then it will be much more likely.

Selling a player that cost nothing for up to £25 million is great business. At last the Lansdowns seem to be putting the football side of the business on a sound footing with the appointments of Pearson, Tinnion and Alexander. Whatever the criticism’s over the years (many well justified) then they should at least be applauded for the way the whole club, stadium and structure are now becoming Premier League ready or maybe to the more cynical then attractive to potential buyers. Either way we are on the up.

It's all about recruitment -

The to the door ?️

32 minutes ago, supercidered said:

I agree with the first line. I was really pointing out the position we are in now rather than past failures.

However, continually nurturing players via the academy to then sell them off once they are ready maybe very satisfying and commendable but where does it leave Bristol City FC as any thing other than also rans in the Championship? 

As I pointed out in previous posts, I think the Board see the goal and or objective of us being a sustainable club rather than anything else. I think the Board see us holding our own in and around 10th as their version of success. As a City fan of many a decade, I'm resigned or maybe a better word is at peace with this now. Just to be clear, I'd love for us to be regularly challenging for promotion in the Championship but it just isn't going to happen any time soon. Just my opinion.

Top 10 this season, would be a brilliant outcome and I really hope your optimistic prediction happens!! 

Honestly do you think Webster, Brownhill, Kelly, Semenyo and now It seems Scott could have been kept once Premier League interest comes in. We can not pay the wages that are on offer and making them stay devalues them possibly to zero if they get the footballing equivalent of the hump and run out their contract like Massengo. 

Brentford is the model City are now effectively following and have been for a while. The problem we had was LJ would spend all the money coming in on clubs in the bag, unfortunately there were nearly all Top Flights with the occasional Callaway. 

Pearson is clearly a little miffed that Scott is seemingly on his way, (with two years left) but he will get over it, he did at Leicester. 

The difference now is we have actually a way of doing things, we are not just talking about DNA. AD had years to develop a side, Pearson has had a whole lot less time, but we continue to bring through players as above, it’s just a matter of spending it well

55 minutes ago, supercidered said:

Agree with most of that. I was also lucky enough to watch City play in the old 1st Division as a young lad. Many on here will most probably never experience it as Champ level is probably about right for the club as it currently stands. Which is fair enough. Just feels a bit same old to me though, but we were lucky I suppose.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

33 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

Agree with most of that. I was also lucky enough to watch City play in the old 1st Division as a young lad. Many on here will most probably never experience it as Champ level is probably about right for the club as it currently stands. Which is fair enough. Just feels a bit same old to me though, but we were lucky I suppose.

I certainly agree it does feel same old with outgoings, but that is life for anyone that isn’t be connected with the European Super League. 

Bornemouth will sell on further up the food chain and nose around our players again in the future. What are they averaging one a year right now. 

Our failure really hasn’t been our transfer policy as it’s pretty much the same as most clubs, its been the failure to bring in staff and management with sustained  ability to keep us competitive. We have been in the third division as long as we’ve been in the second as much if not more over the last 43 years. However there are 20 clubs I can think of, that are of a similar stature to us that have played Premier League football selling assets when they have too

My personal opinion is Pearson knows what he’s doing at this level, then compare that with LJ, SOD, McI, Mr Millen or even GJ. One of them has a track record of doing the business with similar sized clubs, which the board new CEO and majority shareholder know, particularly as they are all culpable ( maybe not the new CEO) for the last five years of bollox ON THE FIELD!

22 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Probably don't trust Nige in his current mood !:boxing:

Yes I think you are right! Although I can not help but think he’s in a board meeting, regarding next steps. I can just see @Badger and Steve on a zoom call right now!

Edited by REDOXO
  • Thanks 1