IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

2 hours ago, Nathandao said:

Anyone know when Scott will be added to FPL? Reckon he will be a cheap pickup and he's definitely going in my team when he's back from injury.

Isn't that based on goals and assists? Surely other players who will score more points

4 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Yep, just watched that.

Can't help feeling that caused us to push the sell button a bit.

A couple of months, can easily turn into longer. He certainly wouldn't have been available for Millwall tomorrow (like NP said he probably would of).

Sounds like it was a good time for all parties to get a deal done. For me, the Scott saga has been a bit of an unnecessary saga this summer. 

Luckily we have another 3 weeks to address any perceived areas of improvement in the team now.

Nope, if the two months assessment is correct then he's not going to be playing until early October, which is only slightly earlier than Conway is currently projected to be fit. So sell or not we'd have been without our two young starlets for the first dozen or so matches.

As you say, it's better for everyone to get it done with a few weeks left of the window and see if we want to strengthen. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

There’s absolutely nothing wrong on modeling success. It would never be an exact copy of another but an adaptation. 
I am delighted if he is following the examples of those clubs you can mention. ( excepting that Brentford ditched their academy so not exactly the same model) .

Sorry, I should’ve been clearer.

I’m suggesting SL flip-flops between “models” based on the point they succeed…not the journey they’ve been on to get that success.  If he really wanted to do the Brighton model a few years back…why hasn’t he stuck with it…because they appear to be leaving us even further behind.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Nope, if the two months assessment is correct then he's not going to be playing until early October, which is only slightly earlier than Conway is currently projected to be fit. So sell or not we'd have been without our two young starlets for the first dozen or so matches.

As you say, it's better for everyone to get it done with a few weeks left of the window and see if we want to strengthen. 

How often in the last few seasons though has 2 months turned into 3 or 4? Certainly the case with Naismith and TC at the start of the year. There can be no guarantees of course on the timing of their returns.

To sell an injured player for £25m on that basis is a good negotiation from my point of view. Amazed that Bournemouth didn't pause it, after they apparently missed the severity of Antoine's shin injury from the medical in Jan.

• Like 1

To put in context the irritation some have expressed about losing Scott to Bournemouth, Aarons had agreed a deal with Leeds and was there for his medical.

Then there was a call from, you guessed it, Bournemouth, and he signed for them the next day.

If Leeds can't compete with them how can we?

• Like 4

Apologies if this has already been set out but I haven’t seen it. Can someone with a good understanding of the club’s finances and FFP explain what this sale means for the club.

Does it resolve our debt concerns in an instant? How much of it can we likely afford to reinvest in the team? What does it mean for the wage budget?

I don’t have a good understanding of our financial position or the hard numbers of our accounts, so I’d like to understand what this does for us.

3 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Do they have 14 days to change their minds, or doesn't it work like that (mate)?

Seeing as they conducted a medical prior to signing the deal, and they've admitted we told them he was injured, they're not going to have much grounds to rescind the contract.

I'd really not worry about it all (mate).

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Sorry, I should’ve been clearer.

I’m suggesting SL flip-flops between “models” based on the point they succeed…not the journey they’ve been on to get that success.  If he really wanted to do the Brighton model a few years back…why hasn’t he stuck with it…because they appear to be leaving us even further behind.

Uncle Steve thought he knew something about football and it’s only when we have strong football characters in the building, like GJ, Cotts and Nigel that we progress. As you say ‘flip flops’ with the emphasis on flops . 
It is promising to see that he appears to be on a steady course with Tins, Alexander and Pearson. 
:fingerscrossed:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Apologies if this has already been set out but I haven’t seen it. Can someone with a good understanding of the club’s finances and FFP explain what this sale means for the club.

Does it resolve our debt concerns in an instant? How much of it can we likely afford to reinvest in the team? What does it mean for the wage budget?

I don’t have a good understanding of our financial position or the hard numbers of our accounts, so I’d like to understand what this does for us.

@Mr Popodopolous would be your man..

• Thanks 1

Seeing as they conducted a medical prior to signing the deal, and they've admitted we told them he was injured, they're not going to have much grounds to rescind the contract.

Distance selling regs apply don't they? They can send him back inside 14 days no questions asked but they'll need to pay the £25M postage.

• Haha 1

Although they should retain all original packaging just in case a return is necessary. 

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, Nathandao said:

Yes but I always forget to change it anyway so my team includes as many Ex-City players as possible :laugh:

A couple of seasons ago it was possible to get an entire FPL squad of 15 out of ex-City players, although it included loans and the likes of John Ruddy and Callum Robinson who barely featured.

3 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

How often in the last few seasons though has 2 months turned into 3 or 4? Certainly the case with Naismith and TC at the start of the year. There can be no guarantees of course on the timing of their returns.

To sell an injured player for £25m on that basis is a good negotiation from my point of view. Amazed that Bournemouth didn't pause it, after they apparently missed the severity of Antoine's shin injury from the medical in Jan.

Weimann came back quicker from his last season.  So did Joe Williams, was meant to be season ending.

Fine line between rushing them back too soon and it taking longer!  Why do you think Nige doesn’t really like putting timescales on injuries?  Every injury has its own timescale.

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

1 hour ago, Bris Red said:

@Mr Popodopolous would be your man..

Haha thanks, there's no real simple answer but, and @Davefevs also.

The simplest is that IMO we are now fine for cycles ending 2023-24, 2024-25 and 2025-26. We can breathe easy and perhaps be choosy about who we sell and for how much etc. That isnt to say we shouldn't or wouldn't sell anyone at all for 3 years but that combined with much hard work has put us on a stable footing. £20-25m in the bank, certainly.

It then may depend on how far we wish to push the boat out. For example if income remaimed stable over this, next and the following season we could probably add an average of £6.67-£8.33m to the cost base per year. (That assumes a £20m base fee or a £25m base fee for Scott) and wouldn't be inclusive of any further sales.

Whether we wish to go that far is a different debate, maybe we don't and the big caveat is that if we did this and didn't go up by 2025-26...we would be in a hole again probably. A big hole! 8 figures.

Debt wise, it could certainly help- presumably it comes in instalments but it could help, SL will however steadily convert to equity anyway. For as long as he is happy to.

Say 4 signings at £3m apiece wage wise 3 year deal, average wage £15k per week. That is about £7.12m per year onto the cost base.

Would keep us compliant up to 2025-26 assuming revenue reasonably similar but well..thereafter hmm!!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

**Trigger warning - content relating to Bournemouth signing our players...**

Now that the pathway to Bournemouth is firmly in place (if they meet our asking price), does that make them the most likely destination for Tommy Conway next summer, if he comes back from injury to have a goal fest?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mozo said:

**Trigger warning - content relating to Bournemouth signing our players...**

Now that the pathway to Bournemouth is firmly in place (if they meet our asking price), does that make them the most likely destination for Tommy Conway next summer, if he comes back from injury to have a goal fest?

Depends on contract length, our price, whether we've got cover in the squad,

5 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Yep, just watched that.

Can't help feeling that caused us to push the sell button a bit.

A couple of months, can easily turn into longer. He certainly wouldn't have been available for Millwall tomorrow (like NP said he probably would of).

Sounds like it was a good time for all parties to get a deal done. For me, the Scott saga has been a bit of an unnecessary saga this summer. 

Luckily we have another 3 weeks to address any perceived areas of improvement in the team now.

What caused us to hit the sell button was that they met our long held valuation. 

Screenshot_20230811_182446.jpg

29 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

What caused us to hit the sell button was that they met our long held valuation. 

Screenshot_20230811_182446.jpg

'Bristol Live understands' means they don't know. I wasn't in favour of the way City presented the transfer as 'undisclosed record ...'. That's having your cake and eating it, but without knowning how big the piece of cake was, or even whether it was a victoria sponge or lemon drizzle.

1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

'Bristol Live understands' means they don't know. I wasn't in favour of the way City presented the transfer as 'undisclosed record ...'. That's having your cake and eating it, but without knowning how big the piece of cake was, or even whether it was a victoria sponge or lemon drizzle.

My personal understanding is we have recieved 20 up front with 5 million spread out over x amount of time plus add ons. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1