IGNORED

Pitch condition

Denbury Red

2 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

I was surprised to see that Bristol Bears played at Ashton Gate last night!

I wonder how the condition of the pitch will be affected?

Surely not good planning??

It has been highlighted a few times of late on OTIB in regard to the condition of the pitch. I'm sure the grounds team undertake an excellent job and get the pitch in the best condition for all being it either Football or Rugby. It will be interesting though not how it looks but more importantly how the players stability is and how they play the ball in the first 15 minutes of play,

I've put a comment about this on another heading. Football needs a flat, even pitch, rugby not so much. So the obvious thing to do is play the football before the rugby. So footy Friday night and rugby Saturday or footy Saturday and rugby Sunday. How difficult is that or is there a monetary reason for it.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

9 minutes ago, WECANDO said:

I've put a comment about this on another heading. Football needs a flat, even pitch, rugby not so much. So the obvious thing to do is play the football before the rugby. So footy Friday night and rugby Saturday or footy Saturday and rugby Sunday. How difficult is that or is there a monetary reason for it.

Think in this case it was more a logistical reason. The club couldn’t have planned for this amount of rainfall. It makes more sense in normal circumstances for City to play today when you think our top goal scorer would have only flew back from the Caribbean midweek. 
There will be other factors as well. 

16 minutes ago, gary s said:

I raised this matter two years ago but was shouted down by the experts on here, easy fix football Saturday rugby Sunday not difficult is it ?

Or alternate weekends, dont have both playing within days of each other. It happens for different reasons with City / Rovers why not City / Bears ?

1 hour ago, Red Army 75 said:

It’s the lines on the pitch that irritate me, except them to be prominent today. Just looks wrong 

I know aesthetically it doesn't look nice but it doesn't confuse the players so no real problem. Back in the day I wasn't confused when playing 5 a side on a multi purpose court and just ignored the basketball, netball and hockey lines. 

2 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I know aesthetically it doesn't look nice but it doesn't confuse the players so no real problem. Back in the day I wasn't confused when playing 5 a side on a multi purpose court and just ignored the basketball, netball and hockey lines. 

It can...only happened a couple weeks back. 

1 minute ago, CrackingCheeseGromit said:

Or alternate weekends, dont have both playing within days of each other. It happens for different reasons with City / Rovers why not City / Bears ?

Because sometimes it's unavoidable, trying to coordinate the schedules of two different sports (which doesn't just impact City and Bears) isn't easily done.

Eg last night's rugby was a cup tie that had to be completed this weekend and Bristol had a home draw.

It's only become an issue this season because the pitch is nearing the end of its life.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, CrackingCheeseGromit said:

Is it really going to be that simple when combined with a European cup rugby match?

"Hello - is that the EPCR? Just wondered if you can make sure the round of 16 doesn't clash with a Bristol City home match weekend. I know we don't know if Bristol Bears will be in the competition at that stage, whether they'll be home or away..."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Yeah there’s a separate thread started on here. No confirmation from the club so if someone is doing an April Fool it’s a pretty shit one.

Agree not a good April fool that could actually stop people going who were maybe 50 / 50?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Because sometimes it's unavoidable, trying to coordinate the schedules of two different sports (which doesn't just impact City and Bears) isn't easily done.

Eg last night's rugby was a cup tie that had to be completed this weekend and Bristol had a home draw.

It's only become an issue this season because the pitch is nearing the end of its life.

Agreed. Not only end of life but had a lot of additional games on it recently. Ever since the Women’s internationals were played on it in torrential rain the pitch has been poor. Makes pro’s look like pub players the morning after 11 pints when they spend half the game slipping all over the place.

• Like 1

I worry how poor the pitch will be today, it does look to be coming to end of life as has not been at its normal good playing surface recentley.

Unfortunately it has to be recognised we have just had the heaviest rainfall for March since 1981, although the international break will have helped.

I am not against rugby being played as massive help to clubs running costs, so we have to just accept the lines and sometimes the pitch may not be at its best.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

It is fine…just not as tip-top as it has been in the past.  But as @Northern Red states it’s at the end if it’s life and is being totally replaced this summer.

Teams often complain about pitches when they lose, especially unexpectedly, and away from home. Some Man City people mentioned it after player us I believe.

But... Does that mean it's actually an advantage for us? ?

I guess it depends somewhat on style of play.