IGNORED

Rodgers Leicester parted company

Roger Red Hat

3 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Are they really in a position to be bringing in someone for the long term? 

Or are they in a position where they just need to bring in someone to avoid relegation? 

3 hours ago, Super said:

Why would he be right for Leicester then?

I think this answers both, but my perception is that Leicester fans are a bit more sensible than most Prem clubs. They, and the club as a whole, gave Rodgers plenty of time. Despite being a middling Prem club in terms of stature (ie in the sort of position they should be in), they aren't as reactionary as Leeds fans. I'm aware I've directly compared Leicester (the club) to Leeds (the club + fans) - but I think it's valid. I view Leeds as one of a minority of clubs whereby the fans directly influence how the board act with regard to management. Within the UK, I'd probably include Man United, Liverpool, Celtic, Rangers, Villa, Newcastle (dirsregarding Mike Ashley) the Sheffield clubs and actually us too. Others also, but off the top of my head these are the clubs I thought of. 

I think that Leeds fans, and perhaps rightly so, see themselves as a genuinely big club. In league with the likes of Villa and Newcastle. My perception is that Leicester fans view themselves in that same sort of group as Southampton, Wolves and to an extent Everton (in their current situation, not historically). Clubs that (theoretically) shouldn't be relegated - but at the same time can't quite get into the top 6 with consistency. 

I've been a fan of Marsch for a while and think he is a better manager than his spell at Leeds suggested. Given the high risk/reward ratio in the Prem - they had to make a decision about him as soon as relegation became a genuine concern.

If he was allowed time at the right club, I think he'd be one of the best managers in the league. Difficult to prove, given his record at Leeds, but that's my view. 

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Bet they wish Warnock was available until the end of the season.

When teams are established in the prem - the usual rotation of lower league managers isn't a consideration.

Bournemouth, Fulham, Watford and other yo-yo clubs perhaps - but not Leicester. They'll have higher profile targets in mind as Wolves did with Lopetegui.

If Leicester were in the Championship, given the historical connection, it would probably be a realistic proposition - but at present, no way.

As we know the full context of our situation, generally our fanbase likes him. Outside of BS3 however, Pearson's reputation has dropped significantly. 

Edited by Phileas Fogg

I don't for a minute think they'd look at Pearson, but hypothetically I wonder if he'd stay or go.

Whether we like it or not the vast majority of managers would snap your arm off for a move from us to Leicester (and a genuine chance at staying in the Premier League), but I wonder whether having put so much work in, and at this point in his life, he'd want to see it through.

It's almost like he's done pretty much all the hard work here it'd be a shame to walk away now.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

I don't for a minute think they'd look at Pearson, but hypothetically I wonder if he'd stay or go.

Whether we like it or not the vast majority of managers would snap your arm off for a move from us to Leicester (and a genuine chance at staying in the Premier League), but I wonder whether having put so much work in, and at this point in his life, he'd want to see it through.

It's almost like he's done pretty much all the hard work here it'd be a shame to walk away now.

I think it would be a no brainer for him although i highly doubt they would come in for him.

3 minutes ago, Super said:

I think it would be a no brainer for him 

I really don't.

He said from day 1 that he'd long been intrigued by Bristol City, he found us a fascinating club.

Leicester will not hold a similar fascination for him, he's been there, and he may well view seeing things through here as a far more interesting challenge than being the next short term version of Warnock, Allardyce etc.

He's reached the stage where stability and job satisfaction are more important than money and it looks to me like he's genuinely enjoying life at AG and means to see out his managerial career here.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I really don't.

He said from day 1 that he'd long been intrigued by Bristol City, he found us a fascinating club.

Leicester will not hold a similar fascination for him, he's been there, and he may well view seeing things through here as a far more interesting challenge than being the next short term version of Warnock, Allardyce etc.

He's reached the stage where stability and job satisfaction are more important than money and it looks to me like he's genuinely enjoying life at AG and means to see out his managerial career here.

One last go in the top league would interest him surely. We are doing ok and i think he enjoys it here but we are years away from even being close to getting promotion.

2 minutes ago, Super said:

One last go in the top league would interest him surely. We are doing ok and i think he enjoys it here but we are years away from even being close to getting promotion.

Yep, with us in 2-3 years with a team he has built.

His 'one last go in the top league' with Leicester may only last a maximum of 10 games, then what?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Yep, with us in 2-3 years with a team he has built.

His 'one last go in the top league' with Leicester may only last a maximum of 10 games, then what?

He comes back here! ?

18 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Talk Sport this morning are asking every Leicester fan if they'd take Pearson back. 

Reading that I had visions of Jim White and Simon Jordan with a list of all Leicester fans and phoning each and every one of them to ask " would you take Pearson back?".

7 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I dunno how many ex Chelsea bosses levy has gone through over the years? Also he don't like paying compo, wouldn't be surprised if Rogers gets the call, the jobs no better than Chelsea win nothing and sack guaranteed in 18 months

Would be a typical Spurs move 

I think he suffered from the lack of recruitment, they needed a striker and a 'keeper. Ward was a long-standing number 2, and proved to be an absolute number 2. Too much reliance on Vardy's goals down the years, covered their deficiencies. However, some very good signings along the way. Feel a bit sorry for Foxes fans.

I still don't understand all the hate towards Pearson from some of our fans, I mean with the mess he inherited and how bad some aspects of the club were when he arrived he's done a good job as stabilising us during a financial hardship without us ending up in a relegation battle. I mean as much as people expect bigger things from us you only need to look at Cardiff and see what's happened to them to realise that could have been us had we doubled down like they have done so many times. 

Pearson isn't the great promotion chaser many wanted but he has taken our youth and brought through the good ones and formed a small but decent squad whilst getting rid of a lot of costly players. One we undoubtedly sell Scott and who we bring in that summer will, for me, be his real test in should he remain going forward. He's fixed a lot of the financial issues, he's kept/formed a mid table team and he'll have them made enough sales to finally make the purchases he requires, if he then can't get us nearer the play offs I can see the curtain call for him. 

I hope this summer is the big step forward, not necessarily for a title chase, but maybe an outside chance at the play offs which could set us up for better seasons to come. 

• Like 13
  • Flames 1