IGNORED

Mobile phone 50 years old

weepywall

Today is the 50th anniversary of the first  mobile phone call, I remember getting my phone from a place on Gloucester Rd, some bloke turned up at work with one and we all downed tools and rushed over there to get one. I remember my first call on it and it cost about 55p a minute but I'm still with her so I suppose it was probably worth it. Bizarrely I also remember my first recieved text message it was from a Millwall supporting mate saying "f..k City"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, weepywall said:

Also I've still got it, it was a Phillips NEC, size of a brick, its in the man drawer.

The first mobile phone that I ever saw was in 1984. The guy that owned was a patient of ours and it was literally the size of a brick with an antenna sticking out of the top. He had it in his jacket pocket which made him look lop sided - it was so heavy.

• Haha 1

On 03/04/2023 at 20:17, BigTone said:

This is pretty much the same as my first one in Australia until I ungraded to the sleek line brick.

retrophone-213x320.jpg

This was my 1st work 'mobile' and I still have it. Got it in 1987, used it for about 3 years before it got updated. Still have the same number but with the 7 added to the dialling code, no excuses for forgetting what the number is.

It was so heavy we were all worried what it would do in a crash so we pushed them under the passenger seat with the hand set resting on the top. If you were a manager you got a 2nd battery pack which fitted on the other side but that just made it even heavier. You can just see the analogue battery gauge in that photo, to the right of the hand set.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

This was my 1st work 'mobile' and I still have it. Got it in 1987, used it for about 3 years before it got updated. Still have the same number but with the 7 added to the dialling code, no excuses for forgetting what the number is.

It was so heavy we were all worried what it would do in a crash so we pushed them under the passenger seat with the hand set resting on the top. If you were a manager you got a 2nd battery pack which fitted on the other side but that just made it even heavier. You can just see the analogue battery gauge in that photo, to the right of the hand set.

Impressed you still have it. I think mine became an anchor on a mates boat !!

Edited by BigTone

4 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Impressed you still have it. I think mine became an anchor on a mates boat !!

Well, I handed it in to work as instructed when upgrading around 1990 but didn't realise my boss was a hoarder. He gave it back to me about 5 years ago when he needed the space. It is ok except the insulation around the curly cord has gone brittle and fallen off so I need to refurbish it before attending any 80s parties.....

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Well, I handed it in to work as instructed when upgrading around 1990 but didn't realise my boss was a hoarder. He gave it back to me about 5 years ago when he needed the space. It is ok except the insulation around the curly cord has gone brittle and fallen off so I need to refurbish it before attending any 80s parties.....

Then on to this little sleek beauty ? Fitted discreetly into the breast pocket of your suit jacket (provided you took size 18XL). Gave you that "man going places" aura. This combined with my pager made me unstoppable.

th.jpeg-1.jpg

Edited by BigTone