IGNORED

Eight match ban for Mitro

Jerseybean

They have allowed players to get away with everything up to now, too late to try and put the Genie back in the bottle, but they need to start reigning it in a bit. Surrounding Refs , verbally abusing Linos and 4th officials they need to put a stop to it soon.
This won't make any difference overall , but it might stop some players pushing another Ref.

• Like 5

Just now, 1960maaan said:

They have allowed players to get away with everything up to now, too late to try and put the Genie back in the bottle, but they need to start reigning it in a bit. Surrounding Refs , verbally abusing Linos and 4th officials they need to put a stop to it soon.
This won't make any difference overall , but it might stop some players pushing another Ref.

They could change it almost overnight. Within a month max, they could have people treating referees with respect if they really wanted too 

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, JP Hampton said:

You never see players surrounding Rugby  officials. It’s never been tolerated so it doesn’t exist.

A sin bin equivalent wouldn’t be a bad idea. 

I’m against a sin bin as the team down to ten men will just defend until back to eleven, it will kill the game. It’s not necessary either. Just retrospectively ban every player who shouts at a referee for 3 matches. See how long it takes for the players to change. Won’t take long

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

They could change it almost overnight. Within a month max, they could have people treating referees with respect if they really wanted too 

It would mean being strict and enforcing it over a run of games, they won't as they're intimidated and eventually go back to normal. `it's happened a few times when strict rules are brought in.
I think most of us would support the idea, and it would mean a spate of bookings and sending offs, but so what. It would improve things and that's what we want. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Indeed. There's no defending Mitrovic and the punishment is correct but it does feel like what he's done isn't that much of a step on from the sort of verbal abuse that goes on week in and week out.

It'd be pretty easy to have a system where only the captain is allowed to discuss decisions with the referee and where any player surrounding the ref got a yellow and any player who abused the ref got a red.

There's a precedent with back passes in 1991 or 1992. A quick spate of confusion in the first few weeks, the odd infringement for the rest of that season and from then on, goalkeepers just did not pick up back passes. A change of rules now and the problem'd be solved by October. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

It’s never too late to change it. People need to stop looking at punishment deemed acceptable before this incident.

There has to be a precedent. If they are consistent then this is a big change and a step in the right direction.

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

I’m against a sin bin as the team down to ten men will just defend until back to eleven, it will kill the game. It’s not necessary either. Just retrospectively ban every player who shouts at a referee for 3 matches. See how long it takes for the players to change. Won’t take long

Yep.

It should only be the captain who can approach the referee IMO.

Any other player starts questioning / arguing / abusing, then that should be an instant yellow card.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

I get the concept of improving the way players act towards referees, its a terrible thing that rubs off on kids and coaches at grassroots.

However, the standard of officiating is so bad and that needs to improve at the same rate as any discipline handed out.

It can't be a case of protecting incompetence. It has to be both aspects fixed..

I don't think the officiating is very good in rugby either but they still get that respect. Football needs to sort itself out.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

42 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Yep.

It should only be the captain who can approach the referee IMO.

Any other player starts questioning / arguing / abusing, then that should be an instant yellow card.

Agreed but it should be a red card and a 2 game ban. Harsh? Yes, but it would stop it. 

They should bring in a law to say that only the captain can talk to the referee during a game. Start of next season, no booking or red on the pitch, but afterwards, they get banned for the next game - are you really going to question a ref to miss the next game? Would be stamped out pretty quickly. The same with diving in my opinion.

I'm no lover of referees, but they need all the help they can get, especially with the quality (or lack of) at the moment. Along with the time wasting, VAR taking 5 minutes to make a decision and diving, the whole fiasco of all 22 players hounding the referee at every decision is really making football harder and harder to watch.

• Like 1

People say captains should only be allowed to talk to refs, but a lot of them hardly lead by example. 

The way Jordan Henderson is constantly abusing the officials is disgusting, just because he's captain doesn't give him free rein. Even our very own captain needs to have a look at himself at times.

What I don’t get was why Mitro gets an 8 match ban but nothing happened to Bruno when he did similar to lino when they got battered against Liverpool. It needs to be consistent for me that is all. If 8 match is appropriate just make that the minimum for first time offences. Double it each incident after too. Just be consistent

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

If, like me, you were wondering what you have to do to be banned for 30 years, Enoch West was banned in 1915 for match fixing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enoch_West

He was banned along with 6 other players, he and 2 others from Manchester Utd, and 4 from Liverpool. There seems to be some mystery as to why his ban was the longest of the 7, but most people suggested it was because he continued to protest his innocence, the others admitted their guilt. At least two other players also said that Enoch wasn't involved, but it didn't seem to make any difference to the FA.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

He was banned along with 6 other players, he and 2 others from Manchester Utd, and 4 from Liverpool. There seems to be some mystery as to why his ban was the longest of the 7, but most people suggested it was because he continued to protest his innocence, the others admitted their guilt. At least two other players also said that Enoch wasn't involved, but it didn't seem to make any difference to the FA.

My understanding was that they were all banned for life, but Enoch continually claimed he was innocent, a claim that was supported by others.

His ban was finally lifted - I can’t recall whether he was actually declared innocent - but this was some thirty years later.

Accordingly, his ban shows as thirty years, although the others were banned for life.

There is one (former) poster on here who should be familiar with the subject @Esmond Million's Bung, the former Rovers player.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

What I don’t get was why Mitro gets an 8 match ban but nothing happened to Bruno when he did similar to lino when they got battered against Liverpool. It needs to be consistent for me that is all. If 8 match is appropriate just make that the minimum for first time offences. Double it each incident after too. Just be consistent

Peter Walton, ex ref and tv pundit talking about this on bbc website. He drew attention to this in his newspaper column and said that the FA missed a big chance when they didn't ban Fernandes.

But hey, there are big teams and the not so big teams!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

My understanding was that they were all banned for life, but Enoch continually claimed he was innocent, a claim that was supported by others.

His ban was finally lifted - I can’t recall whether he was actually declared innocent - but this was some thirty years later.

Accordingly, his ban shows as thirty years, although the others were banned for life.

There is one (former) poster on here who should be familiar with the subject @Esmond Million's Bung, the former Rovers player.

When Enoch’s 30 year ban ended does anyone know if he continued playing ?

• Haha 2

I welcome the ban for Mitrovic but his fine is inconsequential. I firmly believe you ban players and fine (and in some cases) deduct points from clubs. I would like to have seen Fulham get a £100k fine as their players behaviour is their responsibility. A fine concentrates the mind of clubs on the need  to instil in their players that abuse of officials will not be tolerated and that such players will receive a fine of 2 weeks wages. 

19 hours ago, JP Hampton said:

You never see players surrounding Rugby  officials. It’s never been tolerated so it doesn’t exist.

A sin bin equivalent wouldn’t be a bad idea. 

What I'd like to know is what would happen if a rugby player did overstep the mark and man-handled a referee in Rugby - whats the punishment likely to be?

At the moment, there's this so-called respect, but you only want one player to overstep the mark, so what would the rugby authorities dish out as a punishment to uphold that respect?

4 hours ago, Midred said:

Peter Walton, ex ref and tv pundit talking about this on bbc website. He drew attention to this in his newspaper column and said that the FA missed a big chance when they didn't ban Fernandes.

But hey, there are big teams and the not so big teams!

FA now saying that there should be a more severe punishment to protect officials. Surely this will only work if the FA don't pick and choose who they punish!

• Like 1