IGNORED

Frank Lampard

E.G.Red

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Unlike a lot of things Chelsea have done recently, this makes a lot of sense.

Chelsea fans would never have accepted a firefighter appointment like Allardyce and the established, higher class, firefighters wouldn’t touch the shitshow, so their options are limited. A club “legend” is the natural way to go so it’s Lampard or Terry, and the latter wants a longer term managerial job. 

Lampard was never getting another job in the prem as things stood. He’s a horrific manager, and this is a chance to (semi) rehab him to put him in the frame for another job. If he gets respectable performances against Madrid (they aren’t winning the CL) and sneaks Chelsea into top six, he’s got the currency to be able to get another job to fail at.

Longer term, I’m not sure I’d want the job if I was Nagelsmann or Enrique. The squad  is bloated and misshapen, the owner appears a moron and the fans are over entitled. They aren’t catching Man City and Arsenal any time soon, and probably not most of the others. Given the choice, and I never thought this’d be the case, I’d probably choose Tottenham!

John Terry has actually retired from football management. 

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea-fc-john-terry-next-manager-b1071867.html

In related news. I've retired from my non-existent career as an astronaut. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think this is actually a fairly astute decision from that mad Chelsea board.

This season is pretty much a write-off for them now, the CL is a free hit, but besides that their season is basically done. 

I feel sorry for Potter. I rate him, and can completely understand why he took the opportunity, but he just wasn't the right fit. Especially when you consider all the big-money players that may not have actually been his choices. A club with Chelsea comes with huge expectations too - Potter probably needed a season or two to get things as he wants and he was never going to get that at Chelsea.

This buys the Chelsea board time to actually get the permanent manager right. They could have rushed into it, but this gives them a couple of months to do the process properly and make sure they're getting the right person for the job.

Lampard is, obviously, popular with the fanbase. Lots of the players already know him from his previous tenure, and those that don't will respect him due to his playing career. It's a sticking-plaster solution but I think it's a pretty good one in the circumstances.

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

John Terry has actually retired from football management. 

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea-fc-john-terry-next-manager-b1071867.html

In related news. I've retired from my non-existent career as an astronaut. 

I've retired from my career as a sex stud.

At least that's what Mrs Downend tells me!

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think this is actually a fairly astute decision from that mad Chelsea board.

This season is pretty much a write-off for them now, the CL is a free hit, but besides that their season is basically done. 

I feel sorry for Potter. I rate him, and can completely understand why he took the opportunity, but he just wasn't the right fit. Especially when you consider all the big-money players that may not have actually been his choices. A club with Chelsea comes with huge expectations too - Potter probably needed a season or two to get things as he wants and he was never going to get that at Chelsea.

This buys the Chelsea board time to actually get the permanent manager right. They could have rushed into it, but this gives them a couple of months to do the process properly and make sure they're getting the right person for the job.

Lampard is, obviously, popular with the fanbase. Lots of the players already know him from his previous tenure, and those that don't will respect him due to his playing career. It's a sticking-plaster solution but I think it's a pretty good one in the circumstances.

Whoever the 'right' man is he'll only be at Chelsea for 2 years max whether he wins the CL or not. No Chelsea manager is going to be pushing for the longest serving manager in the league. 

3 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I`m announcing my retirement from England test cricket and will not be available for selection in future.

Sorry Stokesey but it`s the right time.

Likewise, I was due to star in the Tour de France for Jumbo Visma, but, you know 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I`m announcing my retirement from England test cricket and will not be available for selection in future.

Sorry Stokesey but it`s the right time.

That sounds remarkably similar to a recent statement from a certain Ms Sturgeon.

Surely you’re not hiding something from us.

Your garden need digging, per chance?

• Haha 1