IGNORED

The biggest gap between L1 & Champ ever?

Unan

Big gap or not, take none of the promoted sides for granted next season. We usually end up playing one on the opening weekend, I'm going off that as they're usually so fired up. I think I'd prefer a relegated team with their new squad before they can gather momentum. 

2 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

It’ll be interesting to see how Burnley and two others get on as it feels like the gap between the championship and the premier league has widened too. 

This season there appears to be a gap between top and bottom half of the PL.

A lot of teams in the bottom half have spent a lot of money to go nowhere.  You wonder if they could’ve attained the same spending a lot less?

19 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Bannan was still a very good championship player when he was last there. 5 years ago is a slight exaggeration IMO, would have been a great player the last couple of seasons.

For me, Bannan got badly found out in his last championship season with Weds.

Teams got tight, and physically dominated him. Not allowing Bannan the time or space to show off his undoubted passing skills. Weds still pursued the plan of using him to dictate their play, which ultimately was one of the factors that led to their relegation in my view.

The quality between the Championship to League 1 is vast. You only have to look at Mehmeti's show reel for Wycombe this season to see the difference in quality of the defending from L1 teams. That has allowed Bannan to shine in a team that was already one of the best in the division. It will be a far different proposition if they were to get promoted of course

So now, 2 years older, with probably even less speed, mobility and athleticism than he had last time he played at this level, Bannan for me would one again struggle to make an impact in the Championship in 23/24.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

This season there appears to be a gap between top and bottom half of the PL.

A lot of teams in the bottom half have spent a lot of money to go nowhere.  You wonder if they could’ve attained the same spending a lot less?

Yeah even watching Man City at our place felt like we were watching a team in a different division than Fulham, Bournemouth etc. Never mind us. 

• Like 3

On 12/04/2023 at 08:33, Oh Louie louie said:

I know i would love too see some players in this team feeding off one, next year maybe a option 

Don’t think it’s a system we’ll play . We’re a counter attacking team full of pace . Can’t see how a traditional back to goal striker fits in 

Ipswich fan in peace (with no mention of Ashton!).
Bannan is good - but he's getting on so so not convinced he would do well in Champs against fitter and quicker players. 
I have no idea how Collins pipped Chappers who has scored over 20 goals and has massive assist, yet not being a striker.  He is doing well but for a team who are not doing well, hence he stands out
Clark-Harris was nothing against us. He has scored loads but against 'park the bus' teams and his size and lack of speed make him struggle against any decent agile team.
The gap between the few top teams and champs isnt great - we came very close to knocking out Burnley.  But there are many awful teams in League one - its like there are two divisions within one