IGNORED

The biggest gap between L1 & Champ ever?

Unan

EFL League One Player of the Season, Sponsored by Sky Bet

Aaron Collins – Bristol Rovers

Jonson Clarke-Harris – Peterborough United

Barry Bannan – Sheffield Wednesday

I’d honestly take none of these, even on a free, is that seriously the best of League One???

Edited by Marcus Aurelius

JCH 55 goals in 2 seasons? If correct would be worth a punt.

However, diverting from the OP, we should be lookingt o sign from clubs promoted to the Prem as their players are good enough for the Champs, just not the Prem.

• Hmmm 1

2 minutes ago, 22A said:

However, diverting from the OP, we should be lookingt o sign from clubs promoted to the Prem as their players are good enough for the Champs, just not the Prem.

21 in 100 Championship games.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Barry Bannan is widely regarded as the best player in L1 (and by some distance) and should win. I can understand Johnson Clarke-Harris being on the list for his goals but Aaron Collins? How does he get in above Conor Chaplin to name just one. 

Jason Knight, Ronnie Edwards, Shola Shoretire, Max Bird, Connor Chaplin, Luke Mbete, Mads Juel Andersen, Louie Sibley, just off of the top of my head, and all on the right side of 23 let alone 33!

2 minutes ago, 22A said:

from probable clubs under FFP with players on wages 20k+ and above? not within our bracket anymore.

Think Tinnion and Pearson said we'd only sign top end championship players on frees if they are out of contract and suit our wage structure but otherwise we'll recruit from beneath and maybe abroad markets if the right ones are available at the right price. 

13 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Barry Bannan would get in a lot of people's top 10 Championship midfielders let alone League 1.

All 33 years old of him

Edited by OliOTIB

1 hour ago, 22A said:

Eh?? Quite a few can make the step up although it can vary.

Well, Raya, Jansson, Pinnock Henry, Norgaard, Jensen, DaSilva, Mbeumbo, Toney have all contributed to varying levels. Brentford.

Meslier, Ayling, Cooper, Dallas, Phillips, Forshaw, Klich, Harrison, Bamford. Leeds although some of these have declined and or been injury hit which reduces their effectiveness a tad. Alioski was arguably a useful squad player too.

How exactly are you measuring it- of course there are plenty who won't make the step up, who are good enough for, perhaps even a little too good for this level but not up to it at the PL and plenty in between.

41 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Bannan was still a very good championship player when he was last there. 5 years ago is a slight exaggeration IMO, would have been a great player the last couple of seasons.

Wednesday were reported to have declined a bid for Bannan in October 2020, from Brentford, who went on to win promotion via the play-offs the following May.

2 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Isn't he the penalty taker, and given our penalty award rate....

Yep, in his last season in the Championship he only scored 12 & 5 of those 12 were penalties.

7 non penalties therefore in a season, plus he’s under contract at a club that often sell at a price higher than true value.

He’s miles away from what we need, though as we already have Conway, Wells, Cornick, Bell & Weimann I don’t see us bringing in a striker anyway.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yep, in his last season in the Championship he only scored 12 & 5 of those 12 were penalties.

7 non penalties therefore in a season, plus he’s under contract at a club that often sell at a price higher than true value.

He’s miles away from what we need, though as we already have Conway, Wells, Cornick, Bell & Weimann I don’t see us bringing in a striker anyway.

Clubs in the bag Graham? We don't seem to have any physical strikers. I'm not saying we should or shouldn't spend money on another striker type, just chewing the fat.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Clubs in the bag Graham? We don't seem to have any physical strikers. I'm not saying we should or shouldn't spend money on another striker type, just chewing the fat.

Fair comment.

I just don’t see Nige as a “clubs in the bag” manager, he has talked a lot about not wanting to collect players & preferring to run on small numbers, so unless one of the 5 I mentioned is off, I reckon that’s it.

Cornick would probably be asked to play in that role if we went down that route but think we are looking at pace on the counter attack, with any aerial stuff out being wide in the channels as opposed to a lot of balls down the middle for a target man to compete for.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I would judge it on teams coming up and how they would fare. I think Ipswich would comfortably survive. Plymouth and Sheff Wed? Could well both survive if they strengthen well 

Sheff Wed prior to their recent slump showed the gap between the leagues. Storming L1 with a team of over the hill players no longer good enough for the Champ such as Flint. They would need to recruit very well otherwise I'd have them favourites for relegation.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Choice of Bell and Mehmeti on the left, Andi and Sykes on the right, Nakhi, Tommy or Cornick thru the middle.  Can’t see us signing a “target man” striker, particularly with Palmer Houlden on the horizon as a potential first team addition.

I think strengthening priorities will be at the back, in midfield and in goal, not up front.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Malago said:

Choice of Bell and Mehmeti on the left, Andi and Sykes on the right, Nakhi, Tommy or Cornick thru the middle.  Can’t see us signing a “target man” striker, particularly with Palmer Houlden on the horizon as a potential first team addition.

I think strengthening priorities will be at the back, in midfield and in goal, not up front.

Dint think I’ve heard one rumour of a forward so far, all defenders and midfielders.