IGNORED

Euro 2028 bid

3 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

That's true but it has changed in the last while. Our football and rugby national sides played there while Lansdown Road was being rebuilt. I haven't checked the dates, but Croke Park may not have been available for the Euros because of All Ireland fixtures.

They were very reluctant to use Croke Park during the Lansdown Road re-build but I think a few brown envelopes changed hands !!!!

2 hours ago, The Bard said:

Funny how politics decides a lot of these.

If you choose Ibrox you have to also choose Celtic Park so the 3rd best stadium in Glasgow gets chosen instead.

Interesting they chose Newcastle and Everton over their local rivals stadia. I guess Man Utd could be in the process of being rebuilt at that time hence Man City get chosen.

This is correct, it was on the shortlist but the club apparently withdrew it as there is redevelopment planned. In any case, it might have lost out to the Etihad due to facilities etc even though it's bigger.

Likewise Anfield was apparently not considered as the pitch and runoff areas are too small.

2 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

To be fair, Cardiff National stadium is an amazing venue, and so easy to get to. Next to train station, surrounded by pubs/restaurants. Compare and contrast that with AG which has crap transportation in comparison

I went to the principality in the summer for a concert. 

My last visit there was our play off final defeat there when the stadium looked modern and spanking new. 

Now it looks incredibly dated and tired for a 20 odd year stadium.

Still a great location tho, especially for concerts as can soak up the atmosphere in the pubs/restaurants nearby. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

Not sure its the latest plan but saw this image attached to what its supposed design will look like

Casement Park

I understood that was met by a plethora of complaints so didn't happen?

It was going to be 40k, then revised to 34k, then dropped and Lansdown road was rebuilt.

Probably wrong but I have family in Belfast who said, at the time, it couldn't be refurbished due to local uproar.

2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I understood that was met by a plethora of complaints so didn't happen?

It was going to be 40k, then revised to 34k, then dropped and Lansdown road was rebuilt.

Probably wrong but I have family in Belfast who said, at the time, it couldn't be refurbished due to local uproar.

This is what I saw when I searched the name of the ground, May last year

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-61636267

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I went to the principality in the summer for a concert. 

My last visit there was our play off final defeat there when the stadium looked modern and spanking new. 

Now it looks incredibly dated and tired for a 20 odd year stadium.

Still a great location tho, especially for concerts as can soak up the atmosphere in the pubs/restaurants nearby. 

I had the same feeling when I went there for an England game.  Really did seem to have lost its shine, and that must have been 10 years ago. 

18 minutes ago, Offside said:

I can see why Villa Park is on the list due to its capacity and a ground being needed in the Midlands, but when I went there to watch City a few years ago the facilities in the away end’s top tier were abysmal. 

They've got plans to knock down the North Stand (behind the goal to the right of the away section) and refurb the others.

• Thanks 1

I look at the year 2028 and compare it to what we've been through in the last four years...

You can't plan for 6 months ahead, let alone 5 years. 

Imo...a lot will change in our lives in the next 5-10 years. Especially travel. 

Edited by spudski
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I wouldn't be sure. They are much more willing to make non-refundable miscellaneous payments to assist with the decision making. There are many political reasons to keep the Turkish delighted. 

To be fair Turkey have built lots of new stadiums in the last 10 years or so and haven't hosted a major tournament before. It wouldn't be a walkover to go up against them in a fair bidding process, especially when 4 nations with 1 stadium each are trying to get in.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_football_stadiums_in_Turkey

4 hours ago, Northern Red said:

This is correct, it was on the shortlist but the club apparently withdrew it as there is redevelopment planned. In any case, it might have lost out to the Etihad due to facilities etc even though it's bigger.

Likewise Anfield was apparently not considered as the pitch and runoff areas are too small.

Never really understood why they have pointless rules like this for tournaments. If Anfield can host Champions League semi finals, I reckon it could probably manage a few tournament group games.

It’s got to the point where all tournament games look virtually identical because there is so little variation in the stadia and they all have to fit a very specific criteria. Bit of a shame in my opinion.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Never really understood why they have pointless rules like this for tournaments. If Anfield can host Champions League semi finals, I reckon it could probably manage a few tournament group games.

It’s got to the point where all tournament games look virtually identical because there is so little variation in the stadia and they all have to fit a very specific criteria. Bit of a shame in my opinion.

I still don't like all goalnets being the same these days. When I was a kid there were many different designs, each unique to a particular club. And the ball used to stay in the net in some of them no matter how hard the shot was. I used to like that. 

Edited by Red Shadow
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Offside said:

I can see why Villa Park is on the list due to its capacity and a ground being needed in the Midlands, but when I went there to watch City a few years ago the facilities in the away end’s top tier were abysmal. 

This. Villa Park is an outdated and absolute crumbling shithole. Like someone else mentioned, they surely must be updating in the next couple of years as a caveat to appearing on the list!!

Edited by jaydee=inspiration

10 hours ago, Red Shadow said:

I still don't like all goalnets being the same these days. When I was a kid there were many different designs, each unique to a particular club. And the ball used to stay in the net in some of them no matter how hard the shot was. I used to like that. 

Bring back baggy goal nets.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Yep. Real shame this. Would have loved the traditional grounds like Anfield, Old Trafford, Elland Road, Hillsborough, Ibrox to be used as they are cultural stadiums that have been part of British football for many a decade. It's sad that now you could look at a Stadium and have no idea what Country the game is being played in because they're all being built to potentially host a major Tournament game nowadays.

• Admin
36 minutes ago, BS3_RED said:

Shame. After the events of the final at Wembley we should not host. Personal view, I don't expect others to agree. 

Some relevance to that, BUT it was a one off that day and the country was on a knife edge at the time coming out of the lockdown with a lot of unrest

There haven't been any problems since at any sold out events at Wembley

• Like 1

On one of the TV news channels they said it would be the four Home Nations plus RoI. They then discussed who would qualify automatically as there's no way all five nations would be allowed to qualify automatically. Cardiff, Belfast & Dublin would want to host more than just a couple of pool stage games, at least a quarter final. The Scots have offered Hampden and England has proposed fived Prem grounds; one of them the Everton stadium.