IGNORED

Nasty players

Terry Hurlock was a sneaky bastard back in the day.

For us, I'd say Mark Aizlewood. I always remember him rugby tackling Trevor Francis at Hillsborough.

Mick Hartford was plain 'hard'.

Gerry Sweeney could dish it out but so could most back then.

Edited by Ska Junkie

4 hours ago, fanjita said:

That “revenge “ tackle on Haaland was waist high

An awful, outrageous tackle, but it was a little bit lower than waist high - hence the reason it effectively ended Haaland’s career.

Still, he can now enjoy watching his son, who, of course, could have been scoring hat tricks for England.

3 hours ago, Red Shadow said:

Alex Munro, dirty gas bastard. Broke his leg at AG in Glos Cup 1968 after colliding with the pitch side seats in front of the old enclosure after sliding in on Chris Crowe trying to clatter him. Karma.

I remember it well.

Looking back, I can only assume the fans cheering when he was carried off didn’t appreciate just how seriously injured he was.

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Really?

I am surprised.

I know you were a centre back in your playing days, so perhaps picked up on these things, but I never considered him a dirty, devious or nasty player.

I have always thought of him as one of the Premier League’s better players.

Little sly stuff, foot over the top of the ball type stuff.  Probably accentuated because he’s the player you least expected it of, but he had a nasty side.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Robbie Savage?

13 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

An awful, outrageous tackle, but it was a little bit lower than waist high - hence the reason it effectively ended Haaland’s career.

Still, he can now enjoy watching his son, who, of course, could have been scoring hat tricks for England.

Was pre-meditated too wasn't it. The action if perhaps not the outcome.

14 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

It's a myth that tackle ended Haalands  career as it was a previous injury to the opposite knee that ended it. He even took Keane to court over it which Keane won due to it not being the leg Keane made contact with.

A disgraceful tackle all the same though.

Not seen any mention  of Bobby Etheridge a wing half who put it about in Mike Thresher's day. He was just dirty, not a hard man, who's language was appalling. Remember back in the 50s watching City train on the car park behind the Grand Stand and every other word was effin and  jeffin. He was also Glos back up wicket keeper to Barrie Meyer who came to City via the Gas and Cardiff. He turned to umpiring and holds a rather obscure record as being the only player to score a goal against Man Utd and umpire in a test match. 

• Like 1

One of my fave John sitton stories, 3 games into his Chelsea career he kicked Frank Worthington, who turned around and said, you been in the game 5 minutes and you fing kick me? John then called him a long haired northern so and so, at the next corner Frank hit him in the temple with his elbow and John was out cold for ten minutes!

On 16/04/2023 at 07:29, Lanterne Rouge said:

Does Mark Dennis still hold the record for the number of sendings off in a career (12)? There was a time he was sent off every week it seemed like,

that birmingham side early mid 80s had some sorts mind dennis, blake, kuhl, harford, hopkins, van den hauwe, coton to name more than a few....

• Like 1

On 14/04/2023 at 23:12, PHILINFRANCE said:

Really?

I am surprised.

I know you were a centre back in your playing days, so perhaps picked up on these things, but I never considered him a dirty, devious or nasty player.

I have always thought of him as one of the Premier League’s better players.

Sneaky, mind you a few of that Arsenal side could definitely handle themselves. Not quite dark arts stuff, but not far off.

Bergkamp was a great player though.