IGNORED

Nasty players

Our fan base has often accused City of being a team that lacks education in the dark arts and doesn't have enough of a nasty streak. So who are the nasty players, past and present, that other teams fielded? 

In looking at this we are not talking Hard Men. That's been covered elsewhere and their misdemeanours are mostly overt, out in the open in plain sight. What we are talking here are those nasty players, the ankle tappers, the  sly achilles rakers and the constant moaners who get up your nose. 

Johnny Giles was one such for me. While very skilful the Irish leprechaun had a nasty streak, an ankle tapper and achilles raker. 

On the moaning front Jason McAteer was a real pain in the butt..Steve Claridge was another I just wanted to slap. 

Who are yours? 

21 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

John Fashanu for me, especially remember him for Millwall, probably the game where all the seats got chucked from the Dolman.

And Warnock can manage this team.

I’m not sure if it was John or Justin Fashnu, but I saw one of them head butt David Rogers in front of the open end whilst waiting for a corner to be taken. Rogers walked all the way to the dressing room with blood poring from his face. 

Edited by pongo88

36 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I’m not sure if it was John or Justin Fashnu, but I saw one of them head butt David Rogers in front of the open end whilst waiting for a corner to be taken. Rogers walked all the way to the dressing room with blood poring from his face. 

I think we can put both in this category.

I remember John going out of his way to get a City player sent off, rolling around like he was so injured he may not play again. Once the ref had booked our player Fashanu got up grinning while winking at the crowd in the enclosure.

He could certainly dish out some very nasty stuff too,

10 minutes ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

I'm pretty sure it was Fashanu who head butted David Rodgers in front of the East End 

Yeah we think that was Justin.

I’m trying to remember which game, I don’t think I was there but remember the incident being talked about.

Would it have been for Norwich towards the end of our top flight stay in April ‘80, we lost 2-3 and Rodger’s scored.?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Yeah we think that was Justin.

I’m trying to remember which game, I don’t think I was there but remember the incident being talked about.

Would it have been for Norwich towards the end of our top flight stay in April ‘80, we lost 2-3 and Rodger’s scored.?

Yep, think you could well be correct. I was only a young 'un and the memory is hazy. I do remember my old man going absolutely mental though!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bobs Dad said:

Graham Souness, detestable!

Reminds me of another one, Neil Ruddock.

I can remember in the 2nd FA cup game especially, as I was stood in the overflow in front of the Dolman right by the pitch.

He spent the whole game running around with the ref chatting/moaning to him non stop. 

Maybe just me but I wasn’t the least bit impressed with him over any of the games and didn’t even think he was that hard, just big and often mistimed tackles.

2 minutes ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

Yep, think you could well be correct. I was only a young 'un and the memory is hazy. I do remember my old man going absolutely mental though!

Rodger’s face was a right mess and had to be taken off, it was mentioned in one of his biographies that Fashanu didn’t go within 10 yards of the ball for the rest of the game as he was so wary of Gow wanting to snap him

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, harrys said:

Rodger’s face was a right mess and had to be taken off, it was mentioned in one of his biographies that Fashanu didn’t go within 10 yards of the ball for the rest of the game as he was so wary of Gow wanting to snap him

Not like the "headbutts" these days when players just press their forehead onto the opposing player, more of a proper Glasgow kiss!

• Like 1