IGNORED

Grand National

Super

9 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

When you have to completely invent things in your own head to back up your argument you’re probably not onto a winner here really are you?

You started it claiming 3 horses dies in one race!

Don't bother replying you are now on ignore

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, spudski said:

RR...if it's 0.2% and you want measures to be taken to be as ' near zero as possible'...then there is only another 0.1% to go. So things are heading in the right direction, wouldn't you agree. 

Yes indeed. The raceday death toll is massively down from what it was a few years back. In most racing jurisdictions, horses are thoroughly checked by vets before racing for example and things like any lameness, an elevated temperature or irregular heartbeat, will rule a horse out of racing. Doping results in lifetime bans and recently one of Australia's most successful trainers was given a 12-year ban when a spot inspection of his premises found he used a jigger - a kind of electric prod - in training his horses. 

Ultimately, the complexity and thinness of equine lower-legs, combined with their flighty temperament - as herd animals they have a natural instinct to kick out and flee when scared - will mean horses, whether kept domestically, or raced, are susceptible to fetlock and postern breaks and fractures. The former are rarely recoverable from. The horse will never be able to stand again, and hence it is euthanised.

Last year, a friend of mine, a farmer, had tears in his eyes when he told me how he had to have one of his pet horses destroyed after it caught its leg in fencing at its paddock and mangled the limb unrecoverably. 

We can only stop such things happening if humans stop keeping horses - and some on the extreme side of animal rights do suggest humans keep no pets or working animals.

Racing will continue. It's too big to cease. But aficionados should continue to push for safer and more humane conditions. Crowded field jump races like the Nash, are asking for trouble.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, frenchred said:

Absolutely clueless and backs up the industry that these people don't really protest for animal welfare more to give themselves something to do and spend daddies money

Animal Rising renamed itself recently from Animal Rebellion. As they wanted to move away from the Extinction rebellion movement. 

There are approximately 20 to 30 people that work full time organising protests. They are funded mainly by an unnamed donator based in the States. They also receive donations from others in the public and the likes of people like Dale Vince. 

Organisations that can profit from change. 

When you look at the background of the organisers, they've had their fingers in many pies. Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal rights, Stop oil, Fracking, minority justice, strikes etc etc etc...basically anti establishment...you get the picture. 

Mainly white middle to upper class educated people. Looking to change the world as it is. 

Here's one founder. Links and people associated. 

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/dan-kidby-a81317216

Here's a link to their website. 

https://www.animalrising.org/

It's interesting that they state in there info about how they achieve change...that it's done with ' actions from the heart'. 

Which is all well and good in principle, but you have to use your head to get things done properly and to be taken seriously. 

Their aim is change...by getting media attention and the public talking about it. 

Sadly the attention and talk strays from the main subject that wish to discuss. Because of the way they go about things. 

They end up looking like dumb uneducated anarchists, intent on destruction and negatively affecting the general publics lives.

They do harm than good to their cause and ethos. 

I'd have a lot more sympathy to their causes if they went about things differently. And I'm sure many others would too. 

I agree with many of their desires for change. Not how they go about it. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, spudski said:

Animal Rising renamed itself recently from Animal Rebellion. As they wanted to move away from the Extinction rebellion movement. 

There are approximately 20 to 30 people that work full time organising protests. They are funded mainly by an unnamed donator based in the States. They also receive donations from others in the public and the likes of people like Dale Vince. 

Organisations that can profit from change. 

When you look at the background of the organisers, they've had their fingers in many pies. Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal rights, Stop oil, Fracking, minority justice, strikes etc etc etc...basically anti establishment...you get the picture. 

Mainly white middle to upper class educated people. Looking to change the world as it is. 

Here's one founder. Links and people associated. 

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/dan-kidby-a81317216

Here's a link to their website. 

https://www.animalrising.org/

It's interesting that they state in there info about how they achieve change...that it's done with ' actions from the heart'. 

Which is all well and good in principle, but you have to use your head to get things done properly and to be taken seriously. 

Their aim is change...by getting media attention and the public talking about it. 

Sadly the attention and talk strays from the main subject that wish to discuss. Because of the way they go about things. 

They end up looking like dumb uneducated anarchists, intent on destruction and negatively affecting the general publics lives.

They do harm than good to their cause and ethos. 

I'd have a lot more sympathy to their causes if they went about things differently. And I'm sure many others would too. 

I agree with many of their desires for change. Not how they go about it. 

Careful, you'll be accused of ignoring the topic and diverting from the questions!

Common sense don't wash with everyone!

• Haha 1

• Admin

I'm not sure if anyone else read this article that appeared on the BBC Sport website, but the below is an exert from that piece?

Grand National 2023: Trainer Sandy Thomson on the death of horse Hill Sixteen - BBC Sport

"Heading down to Aintree reminded me of my days sitting in a dressing room waiting to go out and play a match," he said. You're nervous but you're normally all right when you get out there and everything starts."

Only this time everything got worse, not better. He started to get a bad feeling about the protestors when Hill Sixteen was in the paddock. The race was delayed amid the chaos.

Hill Sixteen was saddled up and then the saddle was removed as the news came through that the start time had been pushed back. "That's when all the problems started. People were getting agitated, horses were getting worked up and a bit hyper," Thomson said.

"Something was going on, so we got Hill Sixteen back into his box, took the saddle off him and washed him down because it was a hot day.

"We squirted some water down his throat to rehydrate him and I went to see what was going on and was told that we needed to get back in the paddock, so we had to get the saddle back on him quickly. It was all very rushed.

"Everything was heightened. We were one of the last into the parade ring but we were in and out way faster than we should have been.

"The parade is so important. It gives horses a chance to compose themselves and get used to the crowd and the noise but none of that was possible because the authorities needed the race to start. The protestors had caused chaos."

Short presentational grey line

Thomson stayed in the paddock to watch the race, looking at it on television while saying to himself that he'd start to relax once Hill Sixteen was over the first fence and was safely on his way.

"You just feel more relaxed when they're over the first. It's not just the National, it's any race."

In the cavalry charge to the first, he saw some horses come down. The pictures moved on too quickly to see what had fallen but the news soon came over the commentary. Hill Sixteen was out of the race.

Thomson made his way to the bend after the winning post to see the horses go by in the hope of seeing the riderless Hill Sixteen ambling between horses, but there was no sign of him. There were loose horses, but not his loose horse.

He looked down the track and could make out a marshal waving a flag by the first fence. His heart sank. The flag usually means there's a horse or rider on the floor and that the fence would be bypassed on the second circuit. Mania was on his feet, but Hill Sixteen was not.

"The alarm bells really started ringing. Ryan had to be taken away in an ambulance, so I didn't see him. It was a desperate scene. Absolutely horrible. Going down there, you don't know for sure, but you're preparing yourself," he said.

"The screens were up around him and he was covered in a sheet. I just got down beside him and stroked his neck and thanked him for everything he'd done for us. I said sorry. It was so upsetting.

"The only blessing in the whole thing was that he wouldn't have known anything about it. He died straight away. I've read that he was euthanised, but he wasn't. He was such a lovely horse. Everybody is still raw. It's distressing."

Thomson gathered his staff together on Monday morning. "We all had a chat. They love these horses. They feed them, they muck out after them, they groom them, they're very close to them.

"We had an empty horsebox coming back into the yard and it was extremely sad. We put another horse into Hill Sixteen's stable because we didn't want the feeling of emptiness. He was a special horse to everyone here."

Thomson has blasted the protestors, accusing them of making Hill Sixteen hyper and, in part, contributing to his death.

"I think I said they [the protestors] had blood on their hands, which might be a bit strong, but there's no doubt in my mind that the chaos contributed to his death. In my heart of hearts, I believe that."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

21 hours ago, Super said:

Always do EW

I had it placed in an Ew 6 horse accumulator yesterday. £5 Ew @ 62155.25/1

All came in placed apart from Heltenham the fav in the first. Gutted. 

Good day out yesterday. Some decent racing. And surprisingly good crowd. 

sadly only £140 up after the day. At least it paid for the rounds of Guinness at £7.50 a pint ???

Edited by spudski
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, spudski said:

I had it placed in an Ew 6 horse accumulator yesterday. £5 Ew @ 62155.25/1

All came in placed apart from Heltenham the fav in the first. Gutted. 

Good day out yesterday. Some decent racing. And surprisingly good crowd. 

sadly only £140 up after the day. At least it paid for the rounds of Guinness at £7.50 a pint ???

£30 down I was, couldn't pick my nose! Was a good day out though, hopefully the horses enjoyed it too, they all seamed to run well except Heltenham, who I had as well,!!!!!!!

• Like 1