IGNORED

Grand National

Super

12 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Nothing that they didn't warn they were going to do. Seems the threat wasn't taken seriously enough.

Oh the threats were taken very seriously but Aintree is a huge area and it’s almost impossible to keep protesters out. The only way to cover the site would be to bring in the army - preferably the Marine Commandos and the SAS.

Edited by Robbored
  • Like 1

• Admin
17 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Nothing that they didn't warn they were going to do. Seems the threat wasn't taken seriously enough.

Perimeter fence is TWO MILES long, completely impossible to twart all attempts 

Good to see local families assisting the police in tackling these bell ends 

hmm.

I always have a wee bet on the National and the Gold Cup - have done for years.   But I've become increasingly uneasy about the tales of  animal cruelty in racing, was horrified by that trainer smoking a cigar sitting on a dead horse a few years ago.

Today I put a tenner on  Cloudy Glen which fell at the first and I've just seen a video of it on twitter and it looks like the poor thing died.   So I think that's a sign for me to boycott horse racing from now on.   Betting is a terrible curse for so many people too and it's a shame how much advertising for gambling there is in football too.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, phantom said:

Perimeter fence is TWO MILES long, completely impossible to twart all attempts 

Good to see local families assisting the police in tackling these bell ends 

Bigger bell ends are the ones who put horses unnecessarily at risk tbh.

7 times more likely to die over jumps v flats. Totally unnecessary and yet you hear the usual bull**** from the owners who claim to care for their welfare.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Daniro said:

hmm.

I always have a wee bet on the National and the Gold Cup - have done for years.   But I've become increasingly uneasy about the tales of  animal cruelty in racing, was horrified by that trainer smoking a cigar sitting on a dead horse a few years ago.

Today I put a tenner on  Cloudy Glen which fell at the first and I've just seen a video of it on twitter and it looks like the poor thing died.   So I think that's a sign for me to boycott horse racing from now on.   Betting is a terrible curse for so many people too and it's a shame how much advertising for gambling there is in football too.

Actually it was Hill Sixteen that died.

Thought it was shameful of ITV to gloss over the first fence when they did the replay as if nothing had happened.

Yep, just a quick reminder to all those that had a flutter today that horse racing is pretty much entirely funded by gambling. 

I'll let the stats below on deaths from horse racing below speak for themselves. 

Stop gambling on it, gamble on something else if you need to, and help stop this barbaric sport. 

https://www.horsedeathwatch.com/

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

2 minutes ago, Daniro said:

Actually it was Hill Sixteen that died.

Thought it was shameful of ITV to gloss over the first fence when they did the replay as if nothing had happened.

If itv or the broadcasters before actually showed the footage of horses passing away because some little prat couldn’t ride him right then it wouldn’t be such a event 

18 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Bigger bell ends are the ones who put horses unnecessarily at risk tbh.

7 times more likely to die over jumps v flats. Totally unnecessary and yet you hear the usual bull**** from the owners who claim to care for their welfare.

The guy on ITV today: "yeah occasionally horses fall and die, but they can also die just standing in an open field..."

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yep, just a quick reminder to all those that had a flutter today that horse racing is pretty much entirely funded by gambling. 

I'll let the stats below on deaths from horse racing below speak for themselves. 

Stop gambling on it, gamble on something else if you need to, and help stop this barbaric sport. 

https://www.horsedeathwatch.com/

It’s a hard watch the video above and people probably want watch it because they want to bury their heads in the sand but they won’t stop betting on it because horses are bred to jump by all accounts 

4 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

The guy on ITV today: "yeah occasionally horses fall and die, but they can also die just standing in an open field..."

I don't know about standing in an open field, but they can certainly die or injure themselves just running around.

I suppose another argument is that these horses may not have even existed if it wasn't for racing, and they are given the best of everything in their lifetimes. 

Edited by Port Said Red

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I don't know about standing in an open field, but they can certainly die or injure themselves just running around.

I suppose another argument is that these horses may not have even existed if it wasn't for racing, and they are given the best of everything in their lifetimes. 

First sentence is entirely possible just like a little child can injure or die just left running around,the second sentence seems to come from the Andrew Tate book of nonsense 

10 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

It’s a fair argument, but I would argue that that’s a bit of an odd road to go down - the idea that everything that can exist, should exist is not a good perspective imo as you could extrapolate that to anything. And I’d also question whether these horses really do have the best of lives. We always try to pretend that human interference is good for animals, when in 99.9% of cases it isn’t. 

Edited by nebristolred
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, joe jordans teeth said:

First sentence is entirely possible just like a little child can injure or die just left running around,the second sentence seems to come from the Andrew Tate book of nonsense 

I said it was another argument, one I can get behind for flat racing, but not one I necessarily think applies to jump racing. The problem is although @Kid in the Riotis right about the funding of the sport, the money that comes into the local economy in National week means it will probably continue.

9 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

And do we think the risk of a horse dying jumping over massive jumps designed to test their jumping ability is higher, or lower, than running around in a field?

Second point, you can't be arguing that breeding an animal into a life of cruelty is in any way acceptable? It's not just the risk of death, it's the regular whipping, draining of weight, and christ knows what drugs they're pumped with...

• Like 1

I heard a while back, that more horses are injured or die from injuries acquired from being left to their own devices in fields. 

Like any sport there will be injury or death. 

A race horse will be far better looked after, than most horses who are kept just for pleasure by the general public.

Anything to do with animals for sport or pleasure can be highly emotive. 

A horse will run and jump in the wild. A horse will continue to jump and race when it's unseated it's rider. 

It's the fact humans are getting enjoyment from racing that causes some people to hate it. 

Is it worse than eating meat from animals that have been kept captive all their life? 

I find it odd that people can be against horse racing, yet fully support boxing or martial arts which intention is to do as much damage to another human as possible, to disable or knock them out. 

It seems to me that this is a mirror of humanity. Do we see what we want to, or what is actually there? What is the purpose?

It also strikes me that if the 'sport' killed as many jockeys as horses then we would have a vastly different spectacle - perhaps something like motor racing in the post-war period.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

I find it odd that people can be against horse racing, yet fully support boxing or martial arts which intention is to do as much damage to another human as possible, to disable or knock them out. 

In boxing, the two opponents are not forced into the ring, they are there by choice. Do the horses have a choice ?

I can't stand boxing or horse racing, BTW.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, spudski said:

I heard a while back, that more horses are injured or die from injuries acquired from being left to their own devices in fields. 

I would be absolutely stunned if this was true.

A race horse will be far better looked after, than most horses who are kept just for pleasure by the general public.

Also with this. Even then, most horses kept by the public will not be looked after appropriately.

It's the fact humans are getting enjoyment from racing that causes some people to hate it. 

Is it worse than eating meat from animals that have been kept captive all their life? 

No it’s not at all because of that, and no it’s not worse than that. You’ve just made an excellent argument for people going vegetarian. This won’t be popular, but no one who can live without eating meat, should be eating meat imo. It’s as simple as that. In centuries to come people will see the fact that we farmed and tortured animals to such needless lengths utterly barbaric. 

But tbf this is a different argument which most will disagree with, so I think it would be better to stick to the horse racing for now.

Humans are capable of volunteering themselves for barbaric practices. Animals aren’t. 

Edited by nebristolred
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

I would be absolutely stunned if this was true.

Also with this. Even then, most horses kept by the public will not be looked after appropriately.

No it’s not at all because of that, and no it’s not worse than that. You’ve just made an excellent argument for people going vegetarian. This won’t be popular, but no one who can live without eating meat, should be eating meat imo. It’s as simple as that. In centuries to come people will see the fact that we farmed and tortured animals to such needless lengths utterly barbaric. 

But tbf this is a different argument which most will disagree with, so I think it would be better to stick to the horse racing for now.

Humans are capable of volunteering themselves for barbaric practices. Animals aren’t. 

Look up how many horses die outside horse racing.

Also by road accidents. Horses and riders. 

Like I said...it's an emotive subject. And people will have a counter argument. 

In the wild...aren't Animals barbaric towards one another? Yet domesticated or trained to race and looked after? 

We as humans will farm and eat animals. 

Yet as a human...just as many animals will kill or eat you in the most barbaric way in the wild. 

You argue for vegetarianism...which has valid points. Yet check out how many animals are killed to provide such things as Avocados for the Vegetarians. 

There has to be balance on how things are achieved. 

Fruit, veg from foreign shores, packaged in plastic, cheap labour, natural environment destroyed to provide more for increase, travels miles by sea or air...probably does more harm to environment and animals, than owning a pig on a small holding in this country, looking after it and slaughtering it yourself. Just an example of the hypocrisy of it all. 

9 minutes ago, spudski said:

Look up how many horses die outside horse racing.

Also by road accidents. Horses and riders. 

Like I said...it's an emotive subject. And people will have a counter argument. 

Very quick maths - the fatality rate for races over jumps per start is 0.44%. This compares to 0.06% over flats, and the ratio of jumps to flats racing is about 1:2. That’s what I’ve just read, if any of that is wrong do correct me.

So assuming 18 races a year, that means 6 jumps races and a chance of dying per horse of 3.36%. When if jumps were removed, that would be 0.06%.

So there’s my side of the argument. Now is your opportunity to prove that ‘normal’ horses are dropping dead at a higher rate than 3.36% every approximately 3 weeks, for any given horse.

I think you’ll find that horses racing makes them far more susceptible to dying. But that was pretty obvious anyway.

Edited by nebristolred
  • Like 1