IGNORED

Offer Pearson a contract extension NOW

headhunter

There's no denying Nigel had an unholy mess to clear up after the damage done through the profligacy of an off the leash Mark Ashton [and you have to blame SL for that] who was working with two, let's be honest, lightweight managers.

Here we are now with the decks cleared of financial mayhem with cash already in the bank from the sale of Semenyo and the coffers likely to be boosted massively by the sale of Scott putting us in a position of financial strength bettered only by those clubs receiving parachute payments.

On the field this season there has been progress and were it not for the autumn collapse after a stunning opening 8 games followed by a dip in the wake of the highly creditable performance  against Man City I believe we would certainly be in contention for a play off place now.

Nigel has one year left on his contract yet in the summer his actions in the transfer market, working alongside Brian Tinnion, are going to determine the on the field shape of the team for the next three years. For me it would make sense to give him another year now perhaps with a two way exercisable option for a second. Manager at Bristol City is probably one of the safest jobs in football and, while some may disagree, if you are a player contemplating a move here in the summer and you know you are one of the current manager's top picks I think you're more likely to sign  knowing he's here for at least 2 years of your typical 3 year contract.

I'm not a fan of Pearson but that contract extension now seems the right thing to do.

In this latest episode of FBC podcast in addition to reviewing the performance at Watford we debate that in 23/24 anything less than match the efforts of Luton & Millwall who look destined for places in the play offs should be considered failure. Here's a link to listen: https://www.podbean.com/ew/pb-2g95c-13e327c

• Like 11
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Depends on how next season starts - he has done a lot of the dirty work and deserves huge credit for the way he has developed youngsters. OLeary, Pring, Vyner, Scott, Conway, Bell etc, been. Also deserves credit for cutting the dead wood. I would like to see how the season starts before we jump in with a new deal. We are 15th after all. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I (and I assume Nige) don't want players here that want to sign for NP I want players that want to sign for Bristol city. Other than that I think the outcome is right a 2 year contract from this summer with a year option for us seems about right.

It really depends on NP as well, his health seems to be a lot better than when he came in - he may not want to manage, he may want to manage at a higher level with Leicester coming in for him at the end of this season. Who knows what he wants.

12 minutes ago, headhunter said:

There's no denying Nigel had an unholy mess to clear up after the damage done through the profligacy of an off the leash Mark Ashton [and you have to blame SL for that] who was working with two, let's be honest, lightweight managers.

Here we are now with the decks cleared of financial mayhem with cash already in the bank from the sale of Semenyo and the coffers likely to be boosted massively by the sale of Scott putting us in a position of financial strength bettered only by those clubs receiving parachute payments.

On the field this season there has been progress and were it not for the autumn collapse after a stunning opening 8 games followed by a dip in the wake of the highly creditable performance  against Man City I believe we would certainly be in contention for a play off place now.

Nigel has one year left on his contract yet in the summer his actions in the transfer market, working alongside Brian Tinnion, are going to determine the on the field shape of the team for the next three years. For me it would make sense to give him another year now perhaps with a two way exercisable option for a second. Manager at Bristol City is probably one of the safest jobs in football and, while some may disagree, if you are a player contemplating a move here in the summer and you know you are one of the current manager's top picks I think you're more likely to sign  knowing he's here for at least 2 years of your typical 3 year contract.

I'm not a fan of Pearson but that contract extension now seems the right thing to do.

In this latest episode of FBC podcast in addition to reviewing the performance at Watford we debate that in 23/24 anything less than match the efforts of Luton & Millwall who look destined for places in the play offs should be considered failure. Here's a link to listen: https://www.podbean.com/ew/pb-2g95c-13e327c

Agree, Pearson is probably going to have a transfer budget available that hasn’t been seen at city for a while (although probably not massive by other clubs in this league). We have to back him and Tinnion in identifying the right players to improve us. We need to probably spend relatively big on a box to box midfielder (Marvin Elliott type) who can be a presence in attacking and defending set plays, plus a creative player if Scott leaves, I do not want to see weinmann in that position that season. Personally I’m more worried we may lose Pring this summer (scouts watching Scott can’t have failed to have been impressed by Pring as well). 
For me we need:

Gk 

RCB

Two LCB (one perm , one loan to allow Atkinson to get back to fitness)

LB

Two midfielders (one box to box, one more creative)

Target man to play off

16 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Just for a bit of context, since Boxing Day (all comps)

won 8

drawn 9

lost 5

What is the context you're trying to add?

Looks a decent record to me - given our current squad availability and expectations.

Edited by Coxy27
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Advocating for him to get a new contract but adding this strange to me.

Genuinely interested - why aren't you a fan?

I find it difficult to understand why anyone wouldn't be, so curious.

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

13 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Just for a bit of context, since Boxing Day (all comps)

won 8        = 24 pts

drawn 9.   = 9. pts

lost 5           in 22 games 1.5 PPG = 69 

5 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Over a season would see us finish c9th/10th.

But what if we had a full squad to pick from ? 
All injuries aside, that's decent. But considering how we have had to juggle the squad, it's better than that.

• Like 1

I wonder if this thread will get as much traction as the one earlier this season suggesting that he had taken us as far as he could. 

Have to say that there have been a few runs where I've thought.... 'Not sure where this is going, results are poor and I'm not really getting much entertainment from games, maybe it's time for a change' - but as the final stages of the season approaches, I'm quite optimistic and can reflect on a job well done, given that he has had next to no money to spend, some big salaries he needs to contend with that have likely impacted his ability to bring in free-signings and the loss of Semenyo for strong coins. So yes, I'd extend his contract.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Coxy27 said:

Advocating for him to get a new contract but adding this strange to me.

Genuinely interested - why aren't you a fan?

I find it difficult to understand why anyone wouldn't be, so curious.

Results have picked up, but we are still clearly hugely inconsistent and we still cant defend to save our lives which you would think could have been addressed in the last 2 years, see watfords goals at the weekend. also, playing with quick mobile strikers is all very good and exciting but you need some steel and power to back it up, which isnt something that the club is fussed about sorting out… when nige does his chuckle and says our opponents are bigger than us,, no one thinks to ask why we dont sort it out… going to luton away was always going to be a question of how many they were going to beat us by… yes salary levels have been reduced, but pretty much every club in the championship has done this, we are still about tenth as far as i know, but have been underperforming this level for years,, and as we know teams financed at a similar or lower level have done better.

the position has stabilised though, we are what we are.

having a new star youth player, plus 2 other real high class youth strikers come through in the last 2 years is a massive help. Getting rid of people like watkins and odowda also helps, we now need kalas and dasilva off the books to help the finances, and then it depends who nige brings in… a decent keeper plus centre backs and centre midfielders is obvious, anymore like cornick and bajic and we might as well not bother!

• Like 1

Nige has undertaken a huge project. We all know that Ashton\LJ essentially created a massive mess including the enormous wage bill which he inherited.

Most us applaud the work that Nige has done as he heads into the final season of his current contract. He’s created a healthy positive culture throughout the entire set up, building a squad of youngsters and experienced players and competing refreshing the physio department with staff who he trusts.

I’m all in favour of offering Nige a longer contract, two or maybe three years. However he’s in his early 60’s and he may not want to sign an extension………..:dunno:

Some fans look at the points tally as the be all and end all but any rebuilding will have inconsistent results but it’s what goes on behind the results that will ultimately lead to the creation of a club that becomes a serious promotion threat - hopefully next season.

Btw - before download the podcast I’d like to know who’s contributing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Out of interest, why?

Its clearly obvious that against certain teams we cant compete physically.. having someone who can carry some fight to the opposition gives them something different to worry about… that doesnt mean they cant be quick too,, if we had adebajo playing for us instead of luton the the ebbs and flows of that game could have been very different.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Out of interest, why?

I agree that I think we need a target man, and know Leaburn has been mentioned as a possible target at Charlton. For me the players we’ve got we need someone to link them together by either holding the ball up to play off and offering us an out ball to get up up the pitch. Whilst we have improved defensively , someone who can be a presence in our box at defending set plays , like Wilbs used to do under Cotts. I’m not saying we play a target man every game but it gives us an option within the squad. Know Tinnion has mentored Conway could be that player.

10 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Who dis? 

Estupinan at Hull.

4 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Results have picked up, but we are still clearly hugely inconsistent and we still cant defend to save our lives which you would think could have been addressed in the last 2 years, see watfords goals at the weekend. also, playing with quick mobile strikers is all very good and exciting but you need some steel and power to back it up, which isnt something that the club is fussed about sorting out… when nige does his chuckle and says our opponents are bigger than us,, no one thinks to ask why we dont sort it out… going to luton away was always going to be a question of how many they were going to beat us by… yes salary levels have been reduced, but pretty much every club in the championship has done this, we are still about tenth as far as i know, but have been underperforming this level for years,, and as we know teams financed at a similar or lower level have done better.

the position has stabilised though, we are what we are.

having a new star youth player, plus 2 other real high class youth strikers come through in the last 2 years is a massive help. Getting rid of people like watkins and odowda also helps, we now need kalas and dasilva off the books to help the finances, and then it depends who nige brings in… a decent keeper plus centre backs and centre midfielders is obvious, anymore like cornick and bajic and we might as well not bother!

Defence has improved massively over the course of the season, both in open play and set-pieces.

See my post above re wage bill correlation.  It’s a factor in amongst lots of other factors, wage bill is not “all-defining”.

• Like 2

I'm not against giving him another year, ie to the end of the 24/25 season, but as many have said, the decks are nearly clear now. Financially it is getting towards a fresher look and he can make signings in the summer which he wants and also should be able to structure a team that looks up the table rather than down it. However to give 2/3 years would mean we have not learned from past mistakes. It would mean he would be contracted until the end of the 26 or 27 seasons on those extensions and whilst the harder work may have been done, if come Xmas we were struggling again and he had brought in players he wanted, we would be faced of a 3/4 year payoff to sack him. This makes no business sense.

At Pearson's age, no one is likely to come in and poach him, and the best option would be to review in January. If things are continue to progress, then there is nothing wrong with offering a 1/2 year extension, but to do it now, when nothing is certain and we don't know how we will fair next season or what the summer dealings will entail would be too soon in my eyes, and if we did, it should be a year maximum.

If we start offering players/coaches contracts for 2/3 years extra when they still have a year left and we are not at any risk of losing them elsewhere, then we clearly haven't learned from previous mismanagement of finances. 

Edited by robinforlife2
  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Would I personally offer Pearson an extension now? Probably not.

Would I be pissed off if he signs a two year extension tomorrow? Not at all.

He's done a great job, and has pretty much achieved everything he was asked to do (that I can remember). But as I've posted before I'm unsure if he can take us to the next level, or if he's invested in doing that. 

I think it's not a bad plan to use next season as a final stabilising season where we manage a positive handover from Pearson to a new manager who can take our stable but limited squad through a new system and towards being a top 6 squad.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Estupinan at Hull.

Defence has improved massively over the course of the season, both in open play and set-pieces.

See my post above re wage bill correlation.  It’s a factor in amongst lots of other factors, wage bill is not “all-defining”.

It has, but still, things like saturday keep happening, the jaio header against reading too, max was stood on his line watching that happen around him!

ok re wage bill, especially as we still have one or 2 still taking a disproportionate amount of it, but if we are competitive in our pay at some point we should be equitable with our performance… what lansdown must think when we announce our losses and some of the absolute embarrassments has had to make rich while contributing nothing,, well we can only guess…

1 minute ago, Simon bristol said:

It has, but still, things like saturday keep happening, the jaio header against reading too, max was stood on his line watching that happen around him!

ok re wage bill, especially as we still have one or 2 still taking a disproportionate amount of it, but if we are competitive in our pay at some point we should be equitable with our performance… what lansdown must think when we announce our losses and some of the absolute embarrassments has had to make rich while contributing nothing,, well we can only guess…

If you probably watch every Championship goal at the weekend, or chances not taking, the vast majority will come from defensive errors rather than brilliant attacking play, including team or individual errors. Let’s not forget we are playing without any real aerial ball winners, neither Vyner or Pring are that type of defender, Pring isn’t even a CB. We are trying to get through a period without Atkinson or Kalas (or Naismith).  The fact we’ve brought down the goals conceded is a reason to see big improvement.

Re wage bill…in an ideal world, yes, but losses aren’t all about the wage bill.  Nige has brought down the wage bill and amortisation considerably over his tenure….I wish other parts of the football and wider operation could boast such claims.  The “other costs” looks to be a behemoth of inefficiency.

I think from next season onwards we can start to judge wage bill v performance a bit more closely.  Dead wood gone.  Every player here next season (bar Joe Williams) will’ve either been signed by Pearson, or re-contracted (extended / option triggered) by him.  It’s his “wage bill” then.  Then we judge.

• Like 1