IGNORED

Sheffield United away match day thread

They can't be that bad if they're sitting on 82 points after 42 games, 8 clear of Middlesbrough in 3rd. I doubt many people on here have watched enough of their games to have an informed opinion on them anyway. 

I've only seen them in the 2 games against us, and yes they weren't great. They did however take 6 points off us and concede 0 goals along the way which says more about us than it does them. 

I'm sure their fans will have a great day watching their terrible team at Wembley on Saturday.

• Like 4
32 minutes ago, Midred said:

It amused me when their manager's main complaint was that we wasted a bit of time in the first half. He's obviously completely oblivious to all the "crunching" tackles  and sh*thouseary his players inflict on their opponents!

And we got a booking second half for timewasting at a throw in whereas they were using a towel to dry the ball using the same if not more time.

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Always a danger in taking one or two matches as a barometer of a team across the season!

I do agree that (first half especially) they were very average.

But a team with Ndiaye in it, with a couple of top loans, plus Berge (when he’s on it) is gonna be better than the norm.  McBurnie, nob that he is, is a bloody good foil for Ndiaye.  And therefore they will have enough / just enough ability to beat teams unless they drop below par / their opponents play above their ability.

Fine margins.

I don’t think it’s a poor division, I’d argue it’s hugely competitive, just lots of teams of similar(ish) ability, not poor quality per se.

For anyone reading the Fans Led Review thread, you’ll see that perhaps this might be closely linked to Parachute Payments.

Spot on, Ndiaye is really good.

Baldock is obnoxious but a decent full back & Egan pretty much the CB every team in our division would want.

I think it’s their style, first half they hoofed it anywhere & when added to the fact they could easily be Alex Neil’s Preston mark two, with sly fouls, stopping free kicks being taken, using every trick in the book, they’re not exactly likeable, in huge contrast to Boro.

Like they care though, they have found a way of winning that’s getting them promoted, but unless they work a miracle & based on the fact a few are on loan anyway, they will be favourites to come back down.

• Thanks 1
48 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

I think we've had a few 'missed opportunity' seasons while we've been in transition. We need to be ready for the next one. Par for 6th is 74 points, you'll make the PO's with fewer than that this season I suspect. 

Next years gonna be a lot tougher that’s for sure with the teams looking likely to come down and the Plymouth or Ipswich/Wednesday who will be carrying decent momentum. 

According to "Bristol live" we are the only club in the    Championship who have NOT loaned a player this season..........and Mcatee, who scored Sheff Utd;'s winner is on loan from Man City, and is valued at around  £20 Mill.......make of that what you will? .....................?

22 minutes ago, maxjak said:

According to "Bristol live" we are the only club in the    Championship who have NOT loaned a player this season..........and Mcatee, who scored Sheff Utd;'s winner is on loan from Man City, and is valued at around  £20 Mill.......make of that what you will? .....................?

FACT!

88EFAD58-6D56-4778-81B9-B10C26F164A1.thumb.jpeg.b201e0fe1dc5123d5625766ca4496658.jpeg

Stoke 11 loans!

On 18/04/2023 at 21:26, Ivorguy said:

Well in my eighth decade I have to tell you we are definitely one of the better City teams, with best manager in all my years supporting 

Just to come back to this and to hopefully put things in perspective - Watford lost at home 3-1 to Cardiff tonight 

The same dreadful Watford who beat us 2-0 

6 hours ago, KegCity said:

It's an especially weak league this season. Watched Millwall v Birmingham last night and couldn't believe Millwall were anywhere near the top 6 never mind in it.

I think you need to differentiate between a side that plays attractive football and one that is effective. We look good on the eye at times but are not effective at getting results. Millwall probably the opposite.

I'd rather watch my team try to play but my god it can be frustrating when we can't take chances and switch off once or twice at the back in a game.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

I think you need to differentiate between a side that plays attractive football and one that is effective. We look good on the eye at times but are not effective at getting results. Millwall probably the opposite.

I'd rather watch my team try to play but my god it can be frustrating when we can't take chances and switch off once or twice at the back in a game.

They didn't look effective though? Huffed and puffed and couldn't create a chance,. I do understand not everyone plays beautiful football but they looked a poor side. I'd assume they aren't as they're in the top 6 but they looked a poor side.