IGNORED

Sheffield United away match day thread

11 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

That's what I'm saying though, we did have it "both ways". We were punished harshly with the booking for Cornick, they got away with about 5 worse instances of it and he only booked the most blatant booting of the ball away. 

Same with the foul by Pring and the foul on Wells. If ones a booking then they both are. Got no problem with us being punished in whatever way a referee sees fit, just want the same to be applied to the opposition. 

⬇️⬇️⬇️

11 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Wells was scythed down twice by Egan, neither apparently warranted a yellow. 
They were allowed to take throws & free kicks seemingly from wherever they liked.

Geoff Eltringham (the worst ref at our level) finally booked one of their players in the 93rd minute.

We need to give Conway a run now, let’s face it he can’t score any fewer, Wells’ general game is decent but he can’t buy a goal at present.

Geoff Eltringham is a shocking referee, who favours the bigger team, usually when the big team is at home.  He is just inconsistent in his application of the laws / rules to one side over the other.  He isn’t inconsistent for both teams.  He favoured Utd massively last night, just like he always does.

11 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I like Wells but it’s a long while, his last 2 goals have been penalties, he has only scored one goal In open play this year.

His general game is good but even in the win at Stoke he should have scored & is struggling in front of goal.

He needs someone closer to him, he’s playing on his own for too much of the game.  No coincidence imho that v Boro, Cornick played much closer to him and Wells was really good.

2 hours ago, Dolman Block B said:

Off subject slightly but what has ever happened to Kane Wilson ? 

I can only guess, but Pearson has repeatedly said he was in need of a "pre-season" after his long injury layoff. I can only think he hasn't made it to the level Parson wants him at, yet. Has made the bench a couple of times, think he had a run for the U21's but we know Nige likes to make sure they are ready.

Interesting reading through replies, I missed a large chunk of the 2nd half including the goal as my feed went down.
I do think it's a bit optimistic to expect to dominate sides for 90 minutes, to try and do that against a side that will be in the Prem next year, near impossible. We could have done better , some of that I would level at Nige and his use and timing of Subs.

Bell gets stick for his crossing, but for me the fact he's happy to go outside the FB makes him more of a threat than Mehmetti (and it's his first real run at this level) specially in games against good sides. Wells could have done with Conway along side him and as for Conway he looks far more happy central.  Seeing as we were playing the only 4 fully fit defenders , I think we've done OK.
We have lacked a little composure and quality around the area , but we have controlled the ball a lot better than we have for a long time. When you think that only 2 of the back 4 and 1 of the midfield would have started if we had a fit squad then we do show a lot of improvement. Still needs work, but with nothing riding on these games I'm still optimistic for next year.

30 minutes ago, CrackingCheeseGromit said:

A lot of people are waiting till the last minute before renewing. Better in my bank, and all that.

I did wonder if people were waiting to move seats. My mate is moving with his boy to the singing section, while I guess a lot will be moving to Dolman A block, or whatever it's called now.

12 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

That was frustrating. 6 points lost to them this season despite us being the better team in both games. 

We need a player or two that is able to create a bit of magic in games like tonight cos that's all that was missing. It's what won Sheffield Utd the game tonight. We need to be trying to get players like that on loan.

Wasn't Mehmeti supposed to be that guy?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Someone remind me….was this in the next passage of play from Pring slicing a right foot clear straight up in the air near the right touchline, ie we never quite recovered from that error?

Not blaming Pring, just trying to work out whether we react well enough to things like that?

Yeah it was, I'm 99% sure. I don't have that bit recorded but I remember it happening.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Interesting reading through replies, I missed a large chunk of the 2nd half including the goal as my feed went down.
I do think it's a bit optimistic to expect to dominate sides for 90 minutes, to try and do that against a side that will be in the Prem next year, near impossible. We could have done better , some of that I would level at Nige and his use and timing of Subs.

Bell gets stick for his crossing, but for me the fact he's happy to go outside the FB makes him more of a threat than Mehmetti (and it's his first real run at this level) specially in games against good sides. Wells could have done with Conway along side him and as for Conway he looks far more happy central.  Seeing as we were playing the only 4 fully fit defenders , I think we've done OK.
We have lacked a little composure and quality around the area , but we have controlled the ball a lot better than we have for a long time. When you think that only 2 of the back 4 and 1 of the midfield would have started if we had a fit squad then we do show a lot of improvement. Still needs work, but with nothing riding on these games I'm still optimistic for next year.

It was just one of those nights for Sam. Worked hard but he just didn’t quite have the touch, sharpness or decision making last night to get us that final product in their third of the half.

56 minutes ago, Super said:

So who were the ones that were day dreaming for the goal?

Well in the build up to the goal, Pring made a bad clearance (with his weaker foot) and then lost the man who made the assist for goal. Tanner was marking the goalscorer, but didnt track his run behind (he had just made an attacking run shortly before) and couldnt get back, resulting in him literally walking towards goal when the player was shooting rather than carry on playing, and being ready for a potential rebound.

Not a gripe at either player, just stating what happened as both have been stand out players for me this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, brad blit said:

Well in the build up to the goal, Pring made a bad clearance (with his weaker foot) and then lost the man who made the assist for goal. Tanner was marking the goalscorer, but didnt track his run behind (he had just made an attacking run shortly before) and couldnt get back, resulting in him literally walking towards goal when the player was shooting rather than carry on playing, and being ready for a potential rebound.

Not a gripe at either player, just stating what happened as both have been stand out players for me this year.

4 minutes 25 seconds. Tanner is marking Berge. James fails to track McAtee.

It probably should have been Sykes but he had been on the attack so James should have been tucking in.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

One thing I really like about this squad is they are drilled and know what they are supposed to be doing, which should be the very least of things but not so clear in years gone by. There is evidence of real coaching. 

I agree. We are very well drilled now. The goal was just a moment of lapse in concentration and good movement by McAtee.

36 minutes ago, Kolsch said:

It was just one of those nights for Sam. Worked hard but he just didn’t quite have the touch, sharpness or decision making last night to get us that final product in their third of the half.

Everything depends on the shape we set up with next year. We've been 2 and 3 up front, but it did seem like the Conway/Wells partnership was the way forward and if we went back to that then a loan might work for Bell. He is still raw , but he's already a good finisher, great work ethic, positionally aware but a loan might help his next step, and knock the rough edges off. 
Unless something surprising happens, I don't see us signing another striker, we have more than enough cover and other positions are a priority. But if we start with Wells & Conway it might give Bell the chance to go out for more experience. 
The problem with those thoughts are, as I said earlier, I think we look better balanced with Bell playing that left side. 

Who'd be a Manager eh?

I don't know if this is discussed in the MDT, but how poor do they look? Their best performers yesterday were their loanees or 40 years old and they played some terrible football for much of the game. 

They will need a real shake up of they are going to be anything other than cannon fodder in the Premier League.

I thought their fans were poor too. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I don't know if this is discussed in the MDT, but how poor do they look? Their best performers yesterday were their loanees or 40 years old and they played some terrible football for much of the game. 

They will need a real shake up of they are going to be anything other than cannon fodder in the Premier League.

I thought their fans were poor too. 

Underlines what I've been saying all season; this isn't a strong Championship. There's one very good team - Burnley. That's it. 

• Like 4

A few mentioned it in the MDT.

I have to agree, they're a classic example of the sort of team that gets promoted out of this league through hard work and determination, being able to grind results out despite not playing partuculary well. That won't cut it in the league above and they'll need a hell of an injection of quality to be able to compete next season.

• Like 2

Always a danger in taking one or two matches as a barometer of a team across the season!

I do agree that (first half especially) they were very average.

But a team with Ndiaye in it, with a couple of top loans, plus Berge (when he’s on it) is gonna be better than the norm.  McBurnie, nob that he is, is a bloody good foil for Ndiaye.  And therefore they will have enough / just enough ability to beat teams unless they drop below par / their opponents play above their ability.

Fine margins.

I don’t think it’s a poor division, I’d argue it’s hugely competitive, just lots of teams of similar(ish) ability, not poor quality per se.

For anyone reading the Fans Led Review thread, you’ll see that perhaps this might be closely linked to Parachute Payments.

Edited by Davefevs
31 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Underlines what I've been saying all season; this isn't a strong Championship. There's one very good team - Burnley. That's it. 

It's an especially weak league this season. Watched Millwall v Birmingham last night and couldn't believe Millwall were anywhere near the top 6 never mind in it.