IGNORED

Sheffield United away match day thread

3 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I don’t disagree, Pete, but at the end of the day ‘performance’ has to include sticking the ball in the net to be really good. And we’re consistently failing to do that. That’s my only worry. 

Consistently? We hit the woodwork twice on Saturday, and scored 5 in 3 games before that…!

4 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Think based on his last 5-6 games - I genuinely fail see how Weimann keeps a first team spot next season.

Need fairly sweeping recruitment in the Summer; GK, CB, CM, RW, AM, and ST.

Have to agree.

I adore Andi Weimann but he’s been miles off his best this season.

Performance was good again today until we got in the final third and had to make something of it. I don't remember testing their keeper at all, it seems like we're stuck in a situation where we play some good football, we get into their final third and then run out of ideas and finish off with poor defensive mistakes.

I still don't understand how Weimann is in the team, he's not been good enough for a fair few games now and when you have a player like Mehmeti, Conway and Sykes as alternative options but they still remain on the bench I don't understand Pearson's reasoning.

• Like 1
Just now, Percy Pig said:

Frustrating to not get a reward for a lot of good play. 

I really hate how we are treated so differently by referees when we play against the "bigger" clubs. The way in which the time wasting was officiated was a ******* disgrace. 

We did it before the goal so you can't have it both ways 

2 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

Only a few games to go. It's frustrating, but we know the final third is a problem and without additional personnel, that will continue to be the case. Nige has sorted things out elsewhere, I trust him to fix/improve the final third for next season. There's so many good things, a few tweaks and it'll all feel different.

Very true. We knock it around lovely in the main and are so much better organised. So much improvement this season. 

BUT despite creating loads of promising situations in many games ( eg. Watford and first half today, don’t even get me started on the reading game) we don’t score enough goals. We don’t even work the opposition goalie enough, our shooting is powder puff at times. If we can improve that for next year we could potentially have a shot at the playoffs 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

I really hate how we are treated so differently by referees when we play against the "bigger" clubs. The way in which the time wasting was officiated was a ******* disgrace. 

The Cornick booking was a disgrace and later he made us take a throw again further forward. Absolute twonk.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 3
  • Flames 3

A game that encapsulates the season. We show enough to suggest that we're not a million miles away from being a good team, but we aren't ruthless and prone to lapses in concentration that get punished.

Teams like Sheff Utd win those sorts of games for fun, we don't do it often enough.

We'll get there.

4 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Yep. That Cornick booking is absolute nonsense compared to what happened after they went ahead.

Edited by Northern Red
  • Like 11
1 minute ago, petehinton said:

Consistently? We hit the woodwork twice on Saturday, and scored 5 in 3 games before that…!

Hitting the woodwork Isn’t scoring goals and doesn’t get points. And 2 in the 6 games before that. 

We’ve struggled to score consistently for a while now, failing to turn what (as I’ve said I agree with you) are good performances into wins and points. The last two games are good examples.

As I said, I’m not disagreeing with you about performances otherwise being good (with a couple of exceptions) - just that however good they are next season it will count for nothing if we don’t learn to convert possession into goals when we’re on top of games. 

• Like 1
Just now, Percy Pig said:

That's what I'm saying though, we did have it "both ways". We were punished harshly with the booking for Cornick, they got away with about 5 worse instances of it and he only booked the most blatant booting of the ball away. 

Same with the foul by Pring and the foul on Wells. If ones a booking then they both are. Got no problem with us being punished in whatever way a referee sees fit, just want the same to be applied to the opposition. 

Maybe you're right but every team does it just a part of the game now tbh.

1 minute ago, AppyDAZE said:

The Cornick booking was a disgrace and later he made us take a throw again further back. Absolute twonk.

Wells was scythed down twice by Egan, neither apparently warranted a yellow. 
They were allowed to take throws & free kicks seemingly from wherever they liked.

Geoff Eltringham (the worst ref at our level) finally booked one of their players in the 93rd minute.

We need to give Conway a run now, let’s face it he can’t score any fewer, Wells’ general game is decent but he can’t buy a goal at present.

• Like 2