IGNORED

Crossing

The Bard

15 minutes ago, The Bard said:

We really need to get better at this.  It would make a big difference if we did..

It's one of those things in football like corners that I think is high expectation low real return. I suspect it's more about the whole situation rather than being good at crossing - what I mean is getting the ball quickly into the box when on the break is far more likely to return a goal rather than trying to play a perfect cross from about 6 yards out after having spent a minute working that crossing opportunity and everyone has taken there place in the middle.

• Like 1

I've posted about this before...crossing perse, creates the least amount of goals in football. It's the least affective way of trying to score a goal. 

From stats...

The average cross from open play creates a goal just 1.3 per cent of the time, so once in roughly 76 crosses.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, 95red said:

He still learning  & young  but bells  final ball is awful ,junior bent !!!!

I don't think that's true. He just doesn't consistently make the right choices - when to run, cross, cross early etc. He's just a little raw. His crossing and decision-making against Stoke was excellent - but I'd agree didn't do well with crossing today. 

50 minutes ago, spudski said:

I've posted about this before...crossing perse, creates the least amount of goals in football. It's the least affective way of trying to score a goal. 

From stats...

The average cross from open play creates a goal just 1.3 per cent of the time, so once in roughly 76 crosses.

Undoubtedly true, but is it true because a lot of players can’t cross the ball properly? It’s definitely the case with City as most crosses go low to an opposition player. 

1 minute ago, pongo88 said:

Undoubtedly true, but is it true because a lot of players can’t cross the ball properly? It’s definitely the case with City as most crosses go low to an opposition player. 

It's probably down to there being more defenders than strikers in the box and a GK. It's easy to defend against these days as teams are so well drilled. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spudski said:

It's probably down to there being more defenders than strikers in the box and a GK. It's easy to defend against these days as teams are so well drilled. 

Tend to agree.

IMO crossing can be excellent as part of a wider strategy but excessive reliance can be cancelled out somewhat because...

A) More defenders in the box as you say, that back 4 and perhaps a defensive midfielder also dropping in.

B) Increasing number of back 3 type shapes...so a front 3 which is a decent system can cancel out crossing somewhat and the wide men can make it into a difficult 5. Clearly defensive and attacking plans and natural movement can vary it hut it can he quite inefficient when used excessively and quite easy to counteract.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Thanks 1

I hate the fact that we cross as much as we do, our goals in the 4-3-3 were coming from the wide players cutting inside and causing problems or even shooting, now we just seem to go for cross after cross that none of our players ever seem to know where the ball is going to go. We lack height, we lack strength and yet we want to cross where you require players to be good in the air and physical, makes no sense. If anything I think we should be working on what the best teams do, short intricate passes and one two's in around the box, show on the edge, make those diagonals runs in towards goal that pulls defenders out of position, instead we pass sideways and backwards, then play a long cross-field pass, run it up the wing and cross it in and fail to get on the end of it most of the time.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, pongo88 said:

A player could cross a ball adeptly and be consistently unsuccessful. What is the player aiming at? What are their skills? What are the skills of the opponent and what areas are they skilled at defending? Teams dropping off deny crossing opportunities. Teams playing CDM's/holding midfielders double up in wide positions forcing crosses from deeper less effective positions.

There are a lot of variables to consider.

Teams can suddenly outperform their open play crossing norms at set pieces if they have an outlier, or two to drop the ball on. Bristol City - Aden Flint!  

• Flames 1

Further to my point above about the advantages of getting to the byline, especially on the left when attacking, a right footed player will cut inside onto their preferred foot when nearing the box. All this does is close down the space as all the defenders are moved closer together.

Unless there is an overlapping left back to pass to, the better move is to stay wide, use the space get to the byline.

This isn't a criticism of City, we see it in the Prem too. Defenders love to pack the box, the aim should be to move them around, draw them out. To be fair we have done that bit fairly well lately but the final ball, as mentioned has been poor.

Not just crossing but the shambolic movement of our players when a ball is being crossed in. They all run to the same place like a moth to a flame. Where are the different angles of approach? Where is the late runner to run in to the ball that is often cut back? Our final third play is shockingly bad and the reason we rarely get a positive goal difference of 10 or more over a season. We need some real quality and intelligence injected into our attacking play.

13 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Further to my point above about the advantages of getting to the byline, especially on the left when attacking, a right footed player will cut inside onto their preferred foot when nearing the box. All this does is close down the space as all the defenders are moved closer together.

Unless there is an overlapping left back to pass to, the better move is to stay wide, use the space get to the byline.

This isn't a criticism of City, we see it in the Prem too. Defenders love to pack the box, the aim should be to move them around, draw them out. To be fair we have done that bit fairly well lately but the final ball, as mentioned has been poor.

As a club we are in transition (still).

As a team, our playing style is in transition also.  Nige is trying to evolve the style / system from counter-attacking to a bit more possession based.

We saw post-WC a number of goals come from wide players breaking into the box against an unstructured defence, crossing across / pulling back to the 6 yard box for onrushing forwards (and backtracking defenders) for the ball to end up in the net.

Rotherham (a):

Wells breaking into box, crosses, Wes Harding og

Conway breaking into box from Naismith outball, crosses, keeper parries it onto Joe Williams and into the bet

Stoke (h):

Pring drives into the box, crosses with venom, Wells bundled over the line via chest

Coventry (a):

Pring endeavour in inside left, cross, rebounds off of Scott, Semenyo swivels in from close range

Birmingham (h):

see Stoke, but Semenyo bundling in

Pring drives into box, Sykes tap-in from 6 yards.

etc

All goals scored from crosses against un-set defences.

Now we are finding with a bit more possession, we are having to create different types of chances.  We are doing that coming off a good run, but further injuries and suspensions have hit us.  Simple, possible reasons.  Pring playing LCB instead of LB has deprived us of his drive on the left wing. Dasilva has played well last few games (after being distinctly average previously), but he still offers nothing like what Pring does at LB, certainly attack wise.  Having to play Pring at LCB is a big loss to our threat.

Naismith, whether it is at LCB or CM / DM, his ability to pass quickly between the lines, or into channels is also a huge loss.  It affects Scott, whose also been out injured, because he wants the ball early so he can face up his opponents.

There are probably other nuances too that are affecting our attacking output.  Even losing Semenyo, who was a player who can create something out of nothing.

Lets see how Nige solves this over the summer.

9 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Again you may want to consider variables. Playing a right footed player on the left could increase crease opportunity. Techy speak inversion frequently means if the player cuts in on his stronger right foot he will be attacking defenders weaker defending left foot, which can increase crossing opportunity. Inversion also alters passing patterns, patterns that can become more effective as the speed and efficiency increases.  I used could and can, the players skills will obviously effect the efficiency.

11 hours ago, pongo88 said:

I guess with our current lack of height and power in our forward line crosses have to be just about perfect. Would be nice to have a plan b using a big guy from time to time.

42 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

As a club we are in transition (still).

As a team, our playing style is in transition also.  Nige is trying to evolve the style / system from counter-attacking to a bit more possession based.

We saw post-WC a number of goals come from wide players breaking into the box against an unstructured defence, crossing across / pulling back to the 6 yard box for onrushing forwards (and backtracking defenders) for the ball to end up in the net.

Rotherham (a):

Wells breaking into box, crosses, Wes Harding og

Conway breaking into box from Naismith outball, crosses, keeper parries it onto Joe Williams and into the bet

Stoke (h):

Pring drives into the box, crosses with venom, Wells bundled over the line via chest

Coventry (a):

Pring endeavour in inside left, cross, rebounds off of Scott, Semenyo swivels in from close range

Birmingham (h):

see Stoke, but Semenyo bundling in

Pring drives into box, Sykes tap-in from 6 yards.

etc

All goals scored from crosses against un-set defences.

Now we are finding with a bit more possession, we are having to create different types of chances.  We are doing that coming off a good run, but further injuries and suspensions have hit us.  Simple, possible reasons.  Pring playing LCB instead of LB has deprived us of his drive on the left wing. Dasilva has played well last few games (after being distinctly average previously), but he still offers nothing like what Pring does at LB, certainly attack wise.  Having to play Pring at LCB is a big loss to our threat.

Naismith, whether it is at LCB or CM / DM, his ability to pass quickly between the lines, or into channels is also a huge loss.  It affects Scott, whose also been out injured, because he wants the ball early so he can face up his opponents.

There are probably other nuances too that are affecting our attacking output.  Even losing Semenyo, who was a player who can create something out of nothing.

Lets see how Nige solves this over the summer.

We've scored quite a few goals this way with quick breaks and pull backs / early crosses from the by line. I have noticed for a couple of months now that opposition teams have got wise to this and the keeper and first defender are both covering the near post and smothering or blocking these crosses. Thus we are getting fewer of that type of goal. Sam Bell recently pulled two crosses back to the penalty spot as the near post cross (along the 6 yard box) was covered defensively.

It’s a really frustrating thing for me. We need to improve our final ball massively.

Without much height in the team we need to be varying the style of cross too (low, pull backs etc). If I’m being honest, the forwards movements need to improve also.

2 hours ago, Midred said:

Many of our players aren't great at passing the ball but more frustrating sometimes is when we get so far up the pitch on the wings then go inside where all the defensive traffic is and lose the ball straight away.

I was about to add that crossing is a little like 'long passing' and as our passing was on the whole awful last night, I'm not surprised the crossing was even worse.

2 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

We've scored quite a few goals this way with quick breaks and pull backs / early crosses from the by line. I have noticed for a couple of months now that opposition teams have got wise to this and the keeper and first defender are both covering the near post and smothering or blocking these crosses. Thus we are getting fewer of that type of goal. Sam Bell recently pulled two crosses back to the penalty spot as the near post cross (along the 6 yard box) was covered defensively.

He’s hit a few in recent games yards behind our incoming strikers, more to edge of box rather than 10 yards / pen spot…and teams have broken on us.

Not sure who or what he was aiming for.

He got closed out on one chance last night.  Wells or Conway likely get a shot away.

He very raw still, will have good moments, but the poor delivery in recent games has really frustrated me.

15 hours ago, spudski said:

From stats...

What do you mean by 'creates a goal'? 

Do you mean that the very next attacking contact scores the goal?

So that doesn't include a knckdown that assists a goal? Or an attempted clearance that leads to a goal?

I suppose I'm wondering if actually crosses are of a high value, but that the goals aren't always direct from the cross?

I'm pretty sure that many of our goals come from crosses?

• Flames 1

16 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

Or Dave Smith.

Most of Dave Smith's crosses ended up catching a bus outside the ground. Alan Walsh, on the other hand, could land a cross on a penny.

BTW, to whom are these crosses going? Our big number 9...oh...

Edited by SecretSam
BTW

2 hours ago, SecretSam said:

Most of Dave Smith's crosses ended up catching a bus outside the ground. Alan Walsh, on the other hand, could land a cross on a penny.

BTW, to whom are these crosses going? Our big number 9...oh...

Exactly. People complain about our crossing, which is woeful, but even if it was great there's no one to get on the end of it. We probably should be keeping better possession and creating different types of openings.

• Like 1